The Edges: Spiral Photos | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Edges: Spiral Photos

M

mathman444

Re: MK photos

Whew. Just let my computer cool off for a minute, from downloading all those super Michelle photos.

Now, I hate to keep plucking on the same string of my harp, but look at Irina's hands and fingers in the Irina picture:

Irina Outside Edge:
story.news.yahoo.com/news...31eok.html

See what I mean?

Mathman

S

Show 42

Wow, these ladies are amazing. Their edges are gorgeous, although I have to agree with Idle, Nicole is the queen of the spiral, with Michelle and Sasha "ladies in waiting". You gotta love that still shot of Michelle's split falling leaf from Nationals. No one does that move better..........42

S

SteveKmetko374

Looks like Sarah and Sasha have the best extension, Sarah's edging looks better than Sasha's - Irina and MK good edging, MK better extension. I love that photo of Sarah's split jump - It was on the cover or Time magazine after the Olympics.

I

icenut84

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Now, I hate to keep plucking on the same string of my harp, but look at Irina's hands and fingers in the Irina picture:

Irina Outside Edge:

See what I mean?[/quote]

What's wrong with that?

S

sk8ing lady2001

That split jump is amazing, as well as beautiful. :)

M

mathman444

Icenut, "what's wrong with that" is that in the pictures of Irina's spirals, both Rgirl's and Excidra's, Irina's fingers are held pretty much together and all in the same plane. This means that from some angles the hand is not very attractively presented. The other ladies in these pictures have their fingers well separated and held at different levels (pinky most elevated), so that the hand looks graceful no matter what angle it is viewed from.

Shallah, WOW those Katharine Healy split jumps. Has anyone measured the height she gets? I wonder if there have been any studies of "hang time" in skaters' jumps.

Mathman

S

Shallah.K

re: Kathraine Healy

I don't know if it was an illusion cause by her grace and ease but when I saw Katharine on TV doing her split jump it seemed she was up and in perfect position longer than even my fav Michelle Kwan (who IMO has the best split falling leaf of any elegible skater I know of). Considering she was a professional ballet dancer before returning to skating I wouldn't be surprised if she got the most height and hang time of any lady out there!

E

eltamina

Mathman

Are you serious about the hands and fingers?

Anyway, since your harp strings are so well tuned do you really see a difference b/w Cohen's fingers and Irinas?

story.news.yahoo.com/news...31n7b.html

Amplitude is not extension:

Sarah, Nicole and Coehn both have good amplitude.

Michelle, Kristi, Sasha, Nicole, Yuka have good extension

E

Excidra2001

Re: Mathman

I really don't see any difference between Cohen's spiral and Irina's. Maybe the extension but that's about it.

Maybe mathman is a choreographer :rollin: he probably knows better then us:D

M

mathman444

Re: Hands

How did I let this thread drop down to the second page?

About Sasha's hand position, it's hard to tell from this one picture because she's wearing gloves and you can't really see her right hand:

story.news.yahoo.com/news...31n7b.html

But from what I can see I have to agree with Excidra and Eltamina that Sasha belongs in the same category as Irina in this respect:

Likewise Sarah (but at least she's trying a little with her right hand):

story.news.yahoo.com/news...1&ncid=634

And for fairness we should include Claudia in this group, too (although maybe she's just giving a Boy Scout salute):

story.news.yahoo.com/news...2zap6.html

And for that matter, the first picture of the spiral queen Nicole:

www.gg.caltech.edu/~jeff/...obek3.jpeg

But the second picture of Nicole is great:

www.frogsonice.com/skatew.../bobek.jpg

Now that's what I call hands!

Now here's Michelle.

www.dallasnews.com/img/ph...140825.JPG

No, I'm not a choreographer, but studying these pictures of Michelle has made me wonder about this. Here are Michelle's hand positions on her spirals in her three U.S. Nationals performances: The "menacingly sexual" The Feeling Begins, The "joyously triumphant" Aranjuez, and the "intimate afterglow" of Fields of Gold. Different hand positions for different moods? Or just Mathman being silly again?

us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg...457310.jpg

us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg...556497.jpg

www.skatephoto.com/sa02/e...k15-27.JPG

Mathman ;)

PS. I don't really have a hand fetish. Frankly, I'm more of a foot man, or anyway, a "little white skating boot" man.

S

Show 42

I've seen Healey skate, and she is amazing with perfect posture and extension, but she is too precise a skater. Presents choreography beautifully, but doesn't feel the music as a Janet Lynn, Michelle, or Sasha does. 42

E

Excidra2001

Mathaman, thanx for the kwan pictures.

I think Michelle has worked on the extension of her spirals, they seem a little higher to me. Am I over-exaggerating or what. I like it a lot, she manages to acheive excellent extension and deep edges. The way she positioned her fingers along with her spiral looks every graceful, but I still enjoy Slutskaya's spirals.:D

On the other hand, Nicol's spiral is VERY beautiful and graceful, but it seems like she is on flats. I wonder if she can achieve the deep edges Kwan and Slutskaya achieve.

I

icenut84

A little OT but after seeing Mathman's Michelle pics - is she using Fields of Gold for her exhibition again this year? How come she hasn't got a new one for this season?

M

mathman444

Re: Feet

Hi Fritz, Well, as soon as I can tear my eyes away from those absolutely GORGEOUS pictures of my girl Michelle, I'll take a look at the skaters feet.

MM

F

fkriesler

IS spiral is the underrated

I think IS spiral is the most underrated. She has strong edges, ice coverage, and good extension.

Mathman, it is fkriesler, not Fritz.

BTW, some more pictures for you if you promise to spell ny name correctly. :)
www.geocities.com/aehodma...3457286470

l

B

bunghodog

Re: IS spiral is the underrated

Those are all beautiful pictures, MIchelle's edge stands out more than anyone, but Sasha's extention is to the maximum, but all of them have great spirals, are american ladies have the best spirals in the world, and the falling leaf is one of my favorite moves, it is great.

M

mathman444

Re: IS spiral is the underrated

A thousand apologies, fkriesler. I thought you were the famous violinist Fritz Kreisler (1875-1962). :)

I agree about Irina's spirals. In fact, appreciation for Irina's spirals is one thing that I learned on Golden Skate, from people like Excidra and Rgirl, proving that a tiger CAN change its spots. I always thought, seeing Irina skate on TV where you could see only her upper body, that her spirals were not particularly graceful-looking and that she did not take advantage of the opportunity to "strut her stuff," like Michelle and Sasha do. But, yeah, the edges and ice coverage that she achieves are really superior.

BTW, fkriesler, did you take those pictures? They are quite outstanding.

I also want to say that I don't deserve the credit for the links in my post -- I just copied them from posts by Rgirl and Shallah.

Now back on topic -- boot covers. I don't like them (although for some reason I DO like them on Ann Patrice). I suppose that they are intended to make one's legs look longer and not to interupt the line from hip to skate. But if it means sacrificing the little white boots -- the sine qua non of ladies figure skating and Sonja Henie's gift to the world -- well, no way!

Mathman