The greatest performances in men's figure skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The greatest performances in men's figure skating

jcoates

Medalist
I have many fumbles with words... I still lead a sheltered life, so if this is something naughty I apologise (apparently I've made quite a few online over the past few days that I had no idea on so I'm a bit nervous when people start laughing)

I had absolutely no problem with what you wrote or how you did it. You nailed it. (Pun intended.) It's one of those perfect words or phrases that totally encapsulates the meaning of something. Anyone who lived through that circus would totally get what you were talking about. I still cringe thinking about it and all the ridiculous made for tv events and special reports that every television executive on the planet tried to come up with to exploit it. It became a real life theatre of the absurd. Skating was actually pretty respected as sport before that happened. Despite the boom it inspired, I think skating's reputation actually took massive hit with the general public. People saw it as one big show going forward, so all the subsequent scandals in 98, 99 and 02 only served to damage the sport further.

Stasi

Match Penalty
I thought we were supposed to discuss the performances, not skaters as such. Again Im looking at singular performance in the singular event.

burntBREAD

Medalist
I thought we were supposed to discuss the performances, not skaters as such. Again Im looking at singular performance in the singular event.

There is no "rule" -- you should know that skating fans frequently become sidetracked ;).

seniorita

Record Breaker
:unsure:Toni when I met you I thought you were a year younger than me,:laugh: but now you are almost 3, how we can all grow older and you are still 27?:unsure: Strange kind of maths?:unsure:
(i kid but seriously!!!:p)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
:unsure:Toni when I met you I thought you were a year younger than me,:laugh: but now you are almost 3, how we can all grow older and you are still 27?:unsure: Strange kind of maths?:unsure:
(i kid but seriously!!!:p)

I'm actually not 27, lol, I turn 27 in January... wishful thinking on my part? I can't wait to be 30 for some reason lol

Vash01

Medalist
Vash, Todd's 1996 Worlds free skate was "First Knight" (he also did it at 1998 Worlds and at the 1998 Goodwill Games). He skated to "Gettysburg" at the 1995 Worlds (and won the silver medal :love:).

Love all your Paul Wylie choices! Brian Orser's "The Story of My Life" - just unforgetable and so touching!

Thanks for the correction. I often get confused between performances and the years.

Has anyone mentioned Kurt Browning's TV performance of "Singin' in the Rain"? It's pure magic, though I'm not sure it's countable in this grouping because it's a pro performance with props and a stage set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXtd7xq7URM

But it's still one of the high points ever in skating. Kurt is just a wizard, completely unencumbered by the law of gravity.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Absolutely!!!

There are so many skaters and performances that I loved so much. But I've found that I could be bored by all their programs after watching maybe 10 - 20 times. I've never been bored by Yagudin's Winter.
I've never been bored by Yagudin!!! :biggrin:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
wishful thinking on my part? I can't wait to be 30 for some reason lol
Toni, Toni, what is wrong with you???? Don't wish to be older....it comes fast enough all by itself!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I've never been bored by Yagudin!!! :biggrin:

It was so unfortunate that he was forced to retire from competitions. Otherwise, I'm sure he'd stick around competing like Plushenko did. His short program Racing from the following season after 2002 Olympics was another highlight for me, but he hadn't had a chance to perfect it yet. The hip injury forced him to withdraw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q70BbgHUIQ