The Illusion Spin | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Illusion Spin

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
It's a really difficult spin and I appreciate skaters that can do one well. Maybe it wasn't the best choice for Anna, but I try to be forgiving due to its difficulty (and like Lilahozi said, none of Anna's spins are really that good).

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Sotnikova's are really one of the best. I like the ones Yuna did too. (1|2)

I really like Yuna's illusion turns as well. I like the position of her arms when she does that. Very pleasing. Although Yuna doesn't do the illusion spin. Adelina's illusion spins, I also think, are the best right now. That is the only element she does that I like tho.

izradria

Rinkside
I really like Yuna's illusion turns as well. I like the position of her arms when she does that. Very pleasing. Although Yuna doesn't do the illusion spin. Adelina's illusion spins, I also think, are the best right now. That is the only element she does that I like tho.

Ooh, thanks for catching that. I never really thought about that difference for some reason (illusion turn/spin). IA. Illusion spins are impressive (when done well).

Meoima

Match Penalty
I wonder why not many skater use this spin? It's too difficult and not worth the point? :think:

starlight97

Final Flight
It's
a) very difficult to keep one's balance during that spin since your center of gravity is constantly moving up and down and sideways.

b) If one is able to manage the first part, it's even harder to make it look good! Because of point a) most skaters have to hunch their back and bend their leg during the spin so they can get the rotation and literally don't fall over, and that looks messy.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Question: Are there any guys who can do this spin passably well?

I was watching Alexei Yagudin's Gladiator skate, and he does what kinda resembles an illusion spin here. I mean, it was about one revolution and had hardly much tilt, but... Are there any guys who can do a more solid one?