The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 101 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

seniorita

Record Breaker
All the week I m following the discusions, I dont know why Carolina Costner is not in the equation for Gold? They were tied after sp and she gave the performance of the night.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All the week I m following the discusions, I dont know why Carolina Costner is not in the equation for Gold? They were tied after sp and she gave the performance of the night.

I couldn't agree more!! I always thought it was a three way tie. Honestly any medal in a three way tie is better than a blowout gold. That's just my opinion. Why isn't there more people celebrating three great skates. Instead it's just insults at Russians and the ISU. Thank you for posting an honest and fair opinion. Not that I would expect less from you.

hurrah

Medalist

I saw YouTube clips of Carolina, Yuna and Adelina taken from very far away, and in terms of ice coverage and general speed, Carolina and Yuna were on par. Adelina's ice coverage was... junior. She basically skated around the middle of the ice most of the time. Carolina's blade work is superior to Yuna, and she had one more triple than Yuna. Performance-wise, Carolina was exuberant and Yuna was reticent that night.

Carolina should have won gold. Yuna should have and rightly won silver. Adelina should have won bronze.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
See Just 1 amazing judged score against same 3Lz performance (She seemed to having trouble with 3Lz, and not yet fixed)
3Lz+3Lo in 2013 Grand Prix -1 -1 -1 -1 +1 0 0 -1 +1 (wrong edge)
3Lz in 2014 Euro Championship -3 -3 -2 -2 -3 -2 -3 -2 -2 (wrong edge)
3Lz+3T in 2014 Sochi Olympics +2 +2 -1 +1 +2 +2 +3 0 +1 (???? - we saw it was absolutely wrong edged)

That is such a ridiculous argument! Did you even see her 3lz-3t at euros? How about Russian Nationals. How can you compare them? Can you tell me the difference between her Sochi 3lz combo and the one she did at Euros. Wow.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Carolina should have won gold. Yuna should have and rightly won silver. Adelina should have won bronze.
I could see this argument holding ground but I could also argue that even though Yuna's was my favorite skate of the last group she could have easily received bronze justifiably...yeah it was that close.

usethis2

Medalist
Jesse Helms writes to casuals. You cannot expect her to be precise and detailed in limited space. Her account is largely in accordance with more knowledgeable folks' analysis, minus hyperbole.

Though I think her use of "rape" is way out of the line. That word should never be used outside of actual crimes.

usethis2

Medalist

I totally agree but I think her fans are rather relieved that she did not repeat 2006/2010. On a similar vein, Yulia's outrageous scores (even more so than Adelina's) are not as a hot-topic because she is not on the podium. Personally I think Carolina should be the one who has a claim on gold along with Yuna, and Yulia's (and Gracie's) scores should be heavily scrutinized.

katonice

On the Ice
Was just wondering if Frank Carroll speaking up after the team event about Gracie's lower scores compared to Julia had any effect on her scores in the LP? Maybe they thought they'd better not piss off Frank, because he's not one to mince words when it comes to his skaters?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Jesse Helms is surely a pseudonym, although why one would pick the name of a deceased, very well known, very controversial, segregationist U.S. Senator as a pen name, I have no idea..

And I agree with seniorita. I would have awarded the gold to Carolina.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
What's more striking about these composite shots than the amount of area being covered, it's that Yuna's lines (paths) are clear and purposeful. Adelina's are almost random and hard to make out. There's no pattern to the choreography.

Probably because Yuna does a lot more back crossovers to set up her jumps. She does six to set up her lutz combo. Adelina never does more than two in a row because she gains speed through more intricate steps, which might be why you don't see her moving in straight lines.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
wow.

Adelina is a very good skater and has always been WC material.
But it is interesting that now Adelina is promoted to be the more athletic skater or to have been faster(@Sochi) than Yuna.
The Russian camera staffs were very smart.

Adelina is not faster but she doesn't just do a bunch of back crossovers to gain speed either. It's obvious ice dancers played a large role in her choreography.

verysmuchso

On the Ice
Probably because Yuna does a lot more back crossovers to set up her jumps. She does six to set up her lutz combo. Adelina never does more than two in a row because she gains speed through more intricate steps, which might be why you don't see her moving in straight lines.
More "intricate" maybe in intention only. What's actually delivered on ice looks like aimless ambling and floundering. And seen from far, just squirming.

hurrah

Medalist
Here are the picture comparing ice coverage
i.imgur.com/2I8PTPb.jpg
i.imgur.com/mEo6mFQ.jpg
i.imgur.com/xanuQIb.jpg

I wish something similar could be made for Carolina and Mao for comparison.

I betcha Mao has the most ice coverage of them all, with the most intricate choreography too! :love:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
More "intricate" maybe in intention only. What's actually delivered on ice looks like aimless ambling and floundering. And seen from far, just squirming.

When you use different ways of gaining speed and turns in both directions your skating isn't going to be in straight lines. When you do six back crossovers it is.