The Judging Controversy Thread | Page 129 | Golden Skate

The Judging Controversy Thread

Ven

Match Penalty
My earlier objections were not about the issue of lying, cheating, scheming judges, but about the misuse of statistical methods.

You're right, drivingmissdaisy was doing exactly that.

Kim even received a bigger screaming standing ovation from an international audience than Adelina did from her own countrymen.

Ven

Match Penalty
I just re-watched Yuna's Les Mis a couple of times this afternoon. Wasn't the first time and won't be the last.

Such a testimony to the rigged nature of these 'games' that Sotnikova's lp -- mistake, lower quality and all -- actually scored higher.

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
This is all propaganda!!! Do not believe all what you read and see.

Well,all these 172-and-running pages have been written because we couldn't believe what we saw and read on the scoreboard at Ladies event. Thanks for reminding us to keep it on!

Kim even received a bigger screaming standing ovation from an international audience than Adelina did from her own countrymen.

Yuna Kim is very popular.

I just re-watched Yuna's Les Mis a couple of times this afternoon. Wasn't the first time and won't be the last.

You are preaching to the choir. ;) My current playlist is nine Michelles and Yuna's Les Miz.

bebevia

On the Ice
You are preaching to the choir. ;) My current playlist is nine Michelles and Yuna's Les Miz.
Oh... with all those MV playlists, I somehow never thought about making a FS playlist. (!!) This is so strange. That explains my vague irritation every time I had to float a bunch of windows for YouTube videos. Thank you.

jehan215

On the Ice
Soaked with controversy - not exactly illegal but definitely cheating:

Sochi 2014: Russia Winter Olympics 'gas' claims investigated

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/winter-olympics/26369004

Well, I'm not surprised. Russia did rank 127th out of 177 countries in the Corruption Perception Index (lower rank means MORE corruption). Seriously, these Olympics were set up FOR the Russians from the start. To be exact, it was probably beneficial for the richer ones. I read on CNN that many of the poor in Sochi (with agriculture as their main source of income) were removed from their homes because the government came in and built infrastructures. I reckon Putin should've improved the social welfare systems using that $50billion instead - that would've actually improved the welfare of his people.

On a side note, Putin probably wanted his people to win the majority of the games - including figure skating. With the given circumstances that there was an ex-banned judge (from Ukraine - coincidence?), the wife of the Russian Skating Federation, and a Russian Technicall Controller on the panel, I don't think anyone can agree that this competition was bias-free.

snk0921

Spectator
I♥Yuna;879090 said:
Thanks for those! I found this in the suggested list, it's Adelina & Yuna's free skate, side-by-side, birds eye view:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwFuocB9GHE

oh wow.. this looks different than what I saw from NBC. Their speed seems different and the ice coverage is incomparable! Then what was the comment by Scott when he mentioned that Yuna's speed wasn't great? To me, she looks faster than Sotnikova. interesting.. Thanks for this..

Man.. so many lies.. lies.. lies..

usethis2

Medalist
oh wow.. this looks different than what I saw from NBC. Their speed seems different and the ice coverage is incomparable! Then what was the comment by Scott when he mentioned that Yuna's speed wasn't great? To me, she looks faster than Sotnikova. interesting.. Thanks for this..

Man.. so many lies.. lies.. lies..
NBC's post-event commentary is a great example how individuals can/will behave hypocritically when their interest, no matter how petty, is at stake. It's almost like a mirror image of the judging panel at Sochi. Think about how easy judges can be manipulated if individuals are that easy to be deluded or coerced.

Johnny: "Yuna played safe." - WTH? What does that even mean? Did Yuna skip an element that was planned? Did he not know her program beforehand? Did Johnny ever said that Yuna would not win if she had not changed her routine before the whole scandal broke out? Or does Johnny really think it is necessary to blow kisses, to wave hands on the spot, to fist-pump after landing a jump, or to smile like an idiot with a half-open mouth throughout a program in order to win?

All these post-hoc rationalizations are simply just a bad faith. Without a serious reform, history will keep repeating itself.

snk0921

Spectator
NBC's post-event commentary is a great example how individuals will/can behave hypocritically when their interest, no matter how petty, is at stake. It's almost like a mirror image of the judging panel at Sochi. Think about how easy judging can be manipulated if individuals are that easy to be deluded or coerced.

Johnny: "Yuna played safe." - WTH? What does that even mean? Did Yuna skip an element that was planned? Did he not know her program beforehand? Did Johnny ever said that Yuna would not win if she did not do something else before the whole scandal broke out? Or does Johnny really think it is necessary to blow kisses, to wave hands, to fist-pump after landing a jump, or to smile like an idiot throughout a routine with a half-open mouth in order to win?

All these post-hoc rationalizations are simply just a bad faith. Without a serious reform, history will keep repeating itself.

I totally agree with you! It is just so sad to see all this happening. Had I not seen this comparison video, I would've believed their comments about their speed, Adelina being stronger technically, and that Yuna's movement being tensed with no energy.. After seeing that videos, I've search many other videos and boy.. I'm not gonna say any more.. This whole thing just makes me sick..

Symmetry

Rinkside
It seems that skating fans at least know the judging was wrong. However, with this current judging system, there is no way to prove who were the offenders. I hope the ISU takes the media outrage seriously and agrees to get rid of the anonymous judging. Any efforts to protect it while trying to justify Adelina's win would not do anything positive for the sport.

wolkenschloss

Rinkside
Well if possible, the ISU would like to remove Judiging protokols from Websites. Then the fans are according their opinion Analphabet anyway:mad:.

cooper

Medalist
It seems that skating fans at least know the judging was wrong. However, with this current judging system, there is no way to prove who were the offenders. I hope the ISU takes the media outrage seriously and agrees to get rid of the anonymous judging. Any efforts to protect it while trying to justify Adelina's win would not do anything positive for the sport.

i doubt it.. did you read speedy's reaction about this controversy?? they will shrug it off..

as for anonymous judging.. well the us fed already proposing way before this happened.. let's wait and see how they will decide..

verysmuchso

On the Ice
ISU lives on handouts. I don't see it stop making goo-goo eyes at anyone with deep pockets anytime soon.