The Male (Ice) Dancer | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Male (Ice) Dancer

KKonas

Medalist
Charlie broke his ankle playing hockey, not in singles, AFAIR?

Yes, he did break his ankle playing hockey in 2005, the same year he and Meryl went to work with Shpilband & Zoueva. He skated singles one more season - when he and Meryl won Jr. nationals. But Igor convinced Charlie that his future was in dance and with college and dance training there was just not enough time for singles as well.

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
I think you are referring to Galit Chait and Sergei Sakhnovski. They competed for Israel and in the 2002 worlds they won the bronze medal edging the favorites Drobiazko and Vanagas (Lithuania). By then, many claimed that Galit's father, a very wealthy man and one of the leaders of the Israeli federation, had "bought" the bronze medal. There were some protests. Denkova & Staviski created a petition against the result. Many of the competitors signed that petition but it was worthless because, as you may know, the result didn't change. According to Brittish eurosport, Galit's father threaned Drobiazko & Vanagas after their press conference telling them to stop "b*tching" otherwise they would probably not get home alive. Very sad episode that puts a stain in a majestic sport.

Getting old and forgetting is a problem for me. The team I was referring to may have been in Worlds Comp and not an Oly. The decision for their bronze medal was extremely controversial with thoughts of payoffs to the judges. The American Lady had a very wealthy family from what I have been told. The Russian male dancer was acknowledged as being one of the best Ice Dancers. They beat out a team from Lithuania.

Somebody has to remember their names.

In what concerns male ice dancers, Charlie White is one of my favs at the moment. I love Meryl as well but Charlie just steals the show.

Mikiandorocks, I remembered the scandal but didn't realize it had traveled that far down the nastiness road. Thanks for the details. It's sort of poetic justice that his actions so backfired on Chait after that. I remember how she and her partner slid down the standings in the years following their bronze. So I hope Chait Senior is satisfied.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I think you are referring to Galit Chait and Sergei Sakhnovski. They competed for Israel and in the 2002 worlds they won the bronze medal edging the favorites Drobiazko and Vanagas (Lithuania). By then, many claimed that Galit's father, a very wealthy man and one of the leaders of the Israeli federation, had "bought" the bronze medal. There were some protests. Denkova & Staviski created a petition against the result. Many of the competitors signed that petition but it was worthless because, as you may know, the result didn't change. According to Brittish eurosport, Galit's father threaned Drobiazko & Vanagas after their press conference telling them to stop "b*tching" otherwise they would probably not get home alive. Very sad episode that puts a stain in a majestic sport.
Here's the GS summary of the dance event at 2002 Worlds and the situation that developed with the protest; it's considerably more sympathetic to C/S than most later accounts. I remember a lot of allegations and not much proof, but D/V were a popular team and it's not surprising that others came to their defense. Personally, I feel that the scandal had some antisemitic undertones that should have been avoided. And it ruined C/S's career, which would not have happened to a team from a more powerful federation. Some feel they deserved it (see Olympia's post above mine), but I think people should be judged on merit, and if it's wrong for C/S to have benefited from Boris Chait's machinations, it's just as wrong for them to have been dumped because of allegations.

It has nothing to do with this thread, though. So, to get to the point:
Scott Moir has great presence as an ice dancer, but Tessa caught up to him a year or two ago, IMO. They are a very well-balanced team. Definitely one of their strengths
I disagree. First of all, I'll preface this by saying that I consider Scott Moir to be the best male ice dancer currently competing, so it's no slight on Tessa. But I don't think she has caught up to him in performance ability, and I don't think she ever will. The difference, to me, is their versatility. Tessa is classically trained and you can see it, but whenever they try to do something other than classic-romantic programs,Tessa looks either uncomfortable or like she's playacting. I would say that within her range, she is an exceptional talent - but it is a limited range. Scott is able to do well in a greater variety of styles, which is something few ice dancers are capable of.

Of the current dancers - I think Alex Shibutani is wonderful and looks to be an excellent partner, which is why the Shibs may break that sibling glass ceiling as their skating develops. I also like Fabian Bourzat and Evan Bates; I really hope Evan and Emily won't have lost too much ground because of his injury.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
FWIW, I believe that the Samba FD that V&M are doing this season is a significant attempt to broaden their range as a team, both skating to a faster tempo than they usually use, and something in sexy/Mardi Gras Latin range. It's too bad that this attempt has been so hampered by her injuries.

I agree the injury is hampering their skating Samba, but it's not an attempt. From the minutes we've seen so far, they have the rhythm, the beat, the mardi gras atmosphere and it should become a first for a Latin Dance which few teams are capable of.

The difference, to me, is their versatility. Tessa is classically trained and you can see it, but whenever they try to do something other than classic-romantic programs,Tessa looks either uncomfortable or like she's playacting. I would say that within her range, she is an exceptional talent - but it is a limited range.

When looking at the last few years it seems to be like that. But watching their 2006-07 OD proves otherwise: (music: Assassin's Tango)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVqbr1bR1LU

Also watch this exhibition from the same season: (music: Black Magic Woman by Santana)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2tfcwEQdDU

(Since that EX I think they would also have been great ballroom dancers.)

In this Olympics Fluff they're actually ballroom dancing (starts at 2:32):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meMTV5CLzkk