The next Sasha Cohen? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The next Sasha Cohen?

seanibu said:
Is there confirmation on who it is, all I could get was MM's "code" I didn't understand.
That's not code, it's the name of the person who posted the picture. :laugh: I thought maybe she put up a picture of herself! :cool:

I think we're at Princess O's mercy in solving this mystery. Sometimes you can click on "properties" and find the web page that the picture is on. But this one is on "my space," so that's no help.

But here's a clue. In the background there is an ad for "Desert Schools Coyote Center," which are a pair of rinks in suburban Phoenix associated with the Phoenix Coyotes hockey franchise.

Antman said:
Just wondering...is Spokane where US nationals is this upcoming season?
Yes. (My home town. :rock: )

Last edited:

MKFSfan

Medalist
tarotx said:
The young lady in the first post has a very pretty sprial. Thanks for sharing her pciture :)

It's weird but I can't really find any pictures of Sasha's spiral from the back to the front like the young women in the first post.

What do you mean by "back to front"? These seem to be taken at similar angles:

http://www.sashafans.com/media/gallery/2002nationals/long/long-adeff-4.jpg

http://www.sashafans.com/media/gallery/2005nationals/short-ap5.jpg
[/url]

I think the picture in the pink dress is during a COE, which is why Sasha's straightened up her hips. Every picture I've seen, she rotates her hips, doesn't keep them parallel to the ice the way a ballerina would doing a...what was it called, Joe, "penchet arabasques"??? I loved the shot Tarotx shared, but for some reason, she doesn't hold her back up like that anymore-instead, it seems her back is much lower, yet still straight. I like the way she used to do it better, but she didn't get the perfect split like she does now.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Is she really coming into Seniors? I think she should be Junior for another year at least. She needs more work on her jumps and Juniors would be the best way to put them out there. I'll be looking at her in Spokane to see some jump improvements.
Caroline Zhang just turned 13 this month and I haven't yet heard that she will move up to senior -- I feel she definitely could use another year or two in junior (I was glad to see that she cleaned up her her double axel last season and got credit for full rotation at Nationals).

I don't recognize the young female skater in a spiral, but there are LOTS of talented youngsters with excellent flexibility at the lower levels.

tarotx

On the Ice
MKFSfan your first picture is from back to front but the second one is from front to back. I think. I mean the location the camra is taking the picture from. Last night I couldn't really find any from that angle. Too sleepy maybe? But I figured a direct comparison would be better.

I still love Sasha's spirals :)

http://heatherw.com/sk/nat06/ladies/pages/IMG_4865.htm

Last edited:

MKFSfan

Medalist
Gotcha. It does seem that most of Sasha's spirals are taken from the front! Never noticed that. Maybe since she skates on her left foot, and does the OE spiral 1st, she starts on the other side of the rink as someone who skates on the right? Like, when Michelle picks up her spiral, she goes clockwise 1st, so when comes down the center she's switching left edge to right. Maybe Sasha does the opposite and the cameras are on the other side of her???

I dunno! LOL!

Regardless, thanks for the link to Caroline Zhang! She is adorable!

ohh.. she is not asian she is hispanic... and i wouldnt talk to her because she MIGHT freak out about her picture being on here.. just saying

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Is she really coming into Seniors? I think she should be Junior for another year at least. She needs more work on her jumps and Juniors would be the best way to put them out there. I'll be looking at her in Spokane to see some jump improvements. If there are, she will make a big impression on her first Senior competition.

I love watching her skate too... I'm going to miss seeing what she can do in Spokane! :( Everyone going better cheer loud for her from me! She's such a cutie (and so sweet!)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
tarotx said:
It's weird but I can't really find any pictures of Sasha's spiral from the back to the front like the young women in the first post.
you mean like this?

normal_IMG_0972.jpg

Photo (c) Me

anniemg

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
Can't believe fans have never seen ballerinas do penchet(sp) arabasques. They are done by every dancer as a matter of routine. Pretty move, nothing special although when on toe it is.

Joe

I have seen ballerinas do it, and I have done ballet as well. It depends on the dancer, but most of them go as down as Sasha does if they want to have a 180 split. Sasha's spiral is still the best IMO. She really does take her leg right behind her, and that's why she goes so low. Her hip rotates a bit, but that's normal-it's normal for the hips to rotate when you're doing a split on the floor, let alone with your leg in the air and on sliding on ice.

But the other girl's one is very good as well :clap:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Red Dog said:
"You are kind to the ice." Of course, except when she splats on it, lol!
Red Dog, have you never seen any other skater fall on the ice. I think fall is better to use than "splat." I think Sasha is too elegant to say she "splat". It seems like that is continually brought up like no other skater falls. I think Sasha is truly an exquiste skater and to continually knock her is beyond my scope of understanding.

Dee

R.D.

Record Breaker
Umm, actually I was referring to Alissa. :laugh: But ok, I take it back. Fall, then. I said "splat" to emphasize the point a little more...

Theatregirl1122

On the Ice
Dee4707 said:
Red Dog, have you never seen any other skater fall on the ice. I think fall is better to use than "splat." I think Sasha is too elegant to say she "splat". It seems like that is continually brought up like no other skater falls. I think Sasha is truly an exquiste skater and to continually knock her is beyond my scope of understanding.

Dee

Yes, but (although he was refering to Alissa) Sasha Splat is so wonderfully alliterative. I think most people bring up Sasha's falls because they feel sad that they have kept her from reaching the top of the podium. (which most people agree that she does have the talent to reach)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Not to mention some Cohen fans are just sore about it, it seems :scratch: