The Quad Club - Who Are Members? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Quad Club - Who Are Members?

Teenes

On the Ice
Boitano (not Orser) had a quad. He attempted at Worlds in 87 and 88.

I know Boitano had a quad. I'm told Orser *also* had a quad but he never really needed it when he was competing, so he just practiced it "just in case." I was told that on practice ice in Cincinnati in 1987, they had some sort of springy material under the ice and that everyone who could was landing quads. Which included Orser. I think this was what Kurt was talking about to Alissa Czisny when they (the ESPN coverage) showed him relating an anecdote about landing 5 or 6 quads, and Brian Orser landing a quad, and how competitive everyone got in practice.

decker

On the Ice
Usually I just lurk … but I figure I have to come out some time or another. I’m a middle-aged watcher, not a skater. Birmingham, Alabama, US. Johnny Weir fan (except when he makes me so mad I can't even sputter).

I can't imagine Joubert won't attempt a quad at all, even if he skates last and knows he doesn't need it. He might not bother with a combination if everyone else commits felony splatfest, but I think he'll do one 4T "just because I can." Men are like that ;)

Ergo, anyone who actually wants to win has to pack his quad for the trip to Tokyo. Joubert fell at Euros, allowing Verner to take the SP. But Brian is a threat to pull 3 quads out of his ear. It would be very unwise for the others to just cross their fingers and hope.

For the same reason, I don't see that Lysacek has much choice but to try a combination in the LP, unless he skates last and Joubert has suffered a meltdown. Also, Johnny two-footed in Spokane, but he got the rotations done. Evan knows it could happen. Soooo … see previous comment about the nature of men.

Johnny dances to the music of the spheres when he puts his mind to it. He buckled down and trained too late to save his US title, but the improvement was clear and significant. He seems motivated to salvage something from this season. So I think he's a good bet to get one ratified or break a hip trying.

Susan

Ausrick

Rinkside
I’m a ... Johnny Weir fan (except when he makes me so mad I can't even sputter).
:rofl: I know exactly how you feel.

Johnny dances to the music of the spheres when he puts his mind to it. He buckled down and trained too late to save his US title, but the improvement was clear and significant. He seems motivated to salvage something from this season. So I think he's a good bet to get one ratified or break a hip trying.

That's exactly how I see it too :)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Susan - welcome and I agree with just about everything you've said! :)

I really think Johnny will be the dark horse of Worlds... and he will hit that quad. Will it be clean, maybe not, but it'll be close to it!

decker

On the Ice
Thanks for the warm welcome, y'all! Birmingham is pretty far South so there's not much local interest in figure skating. It's a shame since we do have a club, which John Zimmerman represented during his eligible career. I know exactly 1 person face-to-face for skating chat (his son skated and is now a coach).

Susan

Susan - You are a thinking poster. Please post more. What you mentioned, of course, depending on the Order of Skate, some will or will not execute a quad except for Joubert who may only do one. That will be his trump card because he will not be heralded for spinning.

All the others, and especially, Evan and Jeffrey must do at least one quad regardless of their Order of Skate.

I don't know where this puts Johnny and Nobunari?? They have enough elements for point values but they are quadless. Wonder if the judges care?

Joe

bostonskater

Rinkside
Min Zhang and Scott Smith both landed multiple quads in the 00s.

Johnny had landed quads three times now in competition - twice at 06 Worlds, once at 07 Nationals. In what way does that make him quadless?

Oda is, maybe.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Johnny's not quadless... Johnny can do them (Granted in practice) but I think he knows he has to have one to stay up there in Japan and I think he's capable of bringing it...

good grief I sound like a fan lol ;)

Min Zhang and Scott Smith both landed multiple quads in the 00s.

Johnny had landed quads three times now in competition - twice at 06 Worlds, once at 07 Nationals. In what way does that make him quadless?

Oda is, maybe.
Sorry about that. I never noticed Johnny's quad except in practice - not in competition.

Quadless is my term to counteract the bash of Lambiel's perceived faulty 3A.

Joe

MKFSfan

Medalist
When did Tonya try a quad?

I could be wrong, but I think she attempted a quad loop at some Cheesefest??? What I meant was since she was rumored to have a quad loop, and I would think she was among the ladies most likely to land one.

Sasha did try a quad Salchow in competition once, I think it was at the Nebelhorn Trophy. But it was not successful and the fall messed up the rest of the program, so she never attempted it again.

soogar

Record Breaker
I read that Midori Ito broke her leg doing a quad in the 80's (I think '85-'86) but I can't be too sure.

Zuranthium

Match Penalty
Quad trivia: Christopher Bowman allegedly did a 4-4-4 in practice once

Yeah. Right.

On topic...I do think a Quad is going to be necessary to win. No man has won a World Championship this decade without it. It's just one of those required things for men these days, if they want to be at the very top.

~Z

evenstar

Final Flight
I believe Sasha only attempted the quad twice. At the Finlandia Trophy she fully rotated the jump but fell- she was very close though. At Skate America she popped the quad into an ugly single, and the program went downhill from there.

Sasha did try a quad Salchow in competition once, I think it was at the Nebelhorn Trophy. But it was not successful and the fall messed up the rest of the program, so she never attempted it again.
That was at Skate America. She was to return to competition after her year of absence and the proposed quad got full play in the forums. Excitement reigned for her. But she popped it badly and screwed up the rest of her program. We never saw an attempt again,.

Joe

ae9177

On the Ice
Unless one can do CLEAN quad in competition, don't think he/she is qualified to be quad club member. Didn't Verner land quad in competition as well?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Unless one can do CLEAN quad in competition, don't think he/she is qualified to be quad club member. Didn't Verner land quad in competition as well?
:agree: ITA, Caroline Zhang - of course MANY other Ladies too - would already be a member of the 3a club if practice counted.