The Sweetest Thing (Aliona) - Bolzano Passion Gala | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Sweetest Thing (Aliona) - Bolzano Passion Gala

McBibus

On the Ice
Are stepanova & bukin not a real life couple? They are both so gorgeous & have an amazing chemistry

Not as far as I know, but I'm not into gossip.
they seem to always keep close, but I did not hae any impression of intimacy.
On the ice they are incredibly gorgeous and hot, more than the sum of their individual beauty.
I wonder how the ice is not melting at their feets.

McBibus

On the Ice
What does a team Tutberidze skater eat for breakfast, if you happened to see?
I come after her. both Aliona and her mother had almos finished.
I saw her eating something with my side vision, before turning and see who she was.
Could have been ham or something else. Not sure.
On another plate there were some brioches and a slice of kake I think.
Too late to give an account sorry :)

From the buffet before the show she ate more than Liza for what I could see, but I assume they all ate before the meeting with the fans, because many did not seem to touch food at all.
She and Liza were tasting food and talking. I approached Liza for the Photo when she left the table to rejoin the crowd.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
that's how we ended up talking of sleeping beauty and she started explaining about the difference with the story we know.
It seems that he's really appreciated for his ability to skate both in pair and as a single.

This is a little off-topic, but I'd love to hear what you recall about this conversation, the differences between eastern and western European traditions in Sleeping Beauty. You've really picqued my interest! Also, it adds something to what little I've known before about Anna that she and you took the conversation in this direction.

I thoroughly enjoyed your postings about your experience! :thank: for your charming observations. Even though I don't know much about the skaters outside of watching their skating, in most cases, your descriptions of them exactly matched my impressions from their skating. It reminds me of something Ilia Kulik said once about his then-wife, Ekaterina Gordeeva: "the great thing about Katia is, when you watch her skate you know exactly who she is."

I feel like this was true about most of the skaters you described. Especially Aliona. With all her power and athleticism, she really does seem to radiate sweetness ... but not too much, and not at all contrived. Just a natural, sweet amiability and delicacy.

And I know even less about Stepanova, but I'm not at all surprised by your description of her as a bit removed. She's probably something of an introvert or even shy. All this adds mystery to her ethereal, regal beauty.

McBibus

On the Ice

The second half is so badly cut!
TV time limits I suppose.

The broadcast missed:
Laurine Lecavalier (she skated ove Monkey Dance playing something like a childish seduction with lot of Irony)
Liza 2nd ex (her SP without jump combo so a very polished skate really beautiful)
James/Cipres 2nd Ex (I can'r recall the music but their ex are always very rithmic)
Stefanova/Bukin 2nd Ex (the one where she enters the ice only after Ivan started dancing alone)

McBibus

On the Ice
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Take the first letter of the first word
then the first letter of the second word
then the first letter of the third word
then the second letter of the first word
then the second letter of the second word
then the second letter of the third word
and so on...

Next time you'll give me a riddle I'll consul with the spirit of Alan Turing :)
Liza really is in your mind I see. :agree:

I hate the way that everything seems to revolve around representing your country. No. It should be about representing yourself, your family, your coach, your club, your rink. The country bit should only be a way of describing where you come from.

There is an ocean between "from Russia" and "representing Russia"
I hope it will be crossed some time at least in individual sports.

That really is the tragedy of Russia being so successful at producing so much talent. My heart is already breaking that Anna Pogorilaya is unlikely to get another shot at going to the Majors, so the thought of Liza, Zhenya, even Alina possibly being in the same boat is too much.

Did you see Russian nationals?
The level was so amazing and it's sad to think some really good skaters (that have and could score 200) will never have the joy of competing in a major event just because of internal competition.

Just being able to see Anna Cappellini in real life would be enough of a dream for me. Talking to her or getting a photo of her would be an unimaginable bonus. Luca and Ondřej are two very lucky guys!

I hope you'll meet Anna and Liza sometime.
You'll certainly be charmed

McBibus

On the Ice
This is a little off-topic, but I'd love to hear what you recall about this conversation, the differences between eastern and western European traditions in Sleeping Beauty. You've really picqued my interest! Also, it adds something to what little I've known before about Anna that she and you took the conversation in this direction.

When I said "Sleeping Beauty" she basically said the name of the story is the same, but there are difference in how the story develop and that they way characters like witches and mosters are portraied: they have their popolar culture and they get it from it, especially because this show are for families and tradition is important to them.
No surprise they have a great cultural heritage as every country in europe but I was a bit surprised since, if my memory does not fail me, the Tchaykowky ballet is based on Perrault version.
Then we could not talk it further.

I thoroughly enjoyed your postings about your experience! :thank: for your charming observations. Even though I don't know much about the skaters outside of watching their skating, in most cases, your descriptions of them exactly matched my impressions from their skating. It reminds me of something Ilia Kulik said once about his then-wife, Ekaterina Gordeeva: "the great thing about Katia is, when you watch her skate you know exactly who she is."

I feel like this was true about most of the skaters you described. Especially Aliona. With all her power and athleticism, she really does seem to radiate sweetness ... but not too much, and not at all contrived. Just a natural, sweet amiability and delicacy.

In Aliona skating I can see the sweetness you talk about, corresponding to the well behaved, elegant and self controlled girl I could meet, but also an inner personality more extrovert, wild and funny probably reserved to people she is confident with.
And I can see hints of the classy, educated and sophisticated Lady she could become.

About my post, sharing with people so passionate aboute figure skating is a priviledge

And I know even less about Stepanova, but I'm not at all surprised by your description of her as a bit removed. She's probably something of an introvert or even shy. All this adds mystery to her ethereal, regal beauty.

Stepanova's presence is commanding.
This may be a very personal observation but many beautiful women can project a "I'm sooooo beautiful" aura; fact is there are many very beautiful women in any city.
Aleksandra projection is "I'm special! I'm unique!" and you won't find unique around the next corner.
Her image on the ice is all but shy and introvert, but it won't be the first example of an artist expressing her true self only in her work.

I'm also very sensitive to the artistic aspect: I played classical music for many years and I had a phase in my life in which all my girlfriend were musician or singers like that second level of communication was absolutely needed in a relation.
No wonder I have a sweet spot for skaters, especially those able to transform a competition program in a recital.
When you see Aliona's SP, scoring is just a detail compared to flying away with her.

McBibus

On the Ice
Why was she wearing candy bars? (Just kidding)

ops... sneakers :palmf:
Sometime not writing your own language creates funny jokes.

I had to google for those Candy bars btw.

I don't think Eteri will approve for one of her girls walking around with candy bars :biggrin:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When I said "Sleeping Beauty" she basically said the name of the story is the same, but there are difference in how the story develop and that they way characters like witches and mosters are portraied: they have their popolar culture and they get it from it, especially because this show are for families and tradition is important to them.
No surprise they have a great cultural heritage as every country in europe but I was a bit surprised since, if my memory does not fail me, the Tchaykowky ballet is based on Perrault version.
Then we could not talk it further.

Yes! that's my memory as well. One of my favorite adapters of fairy tales is Naomi Novik, who bases her stories on the Polish and eastern Europe tales she heard from her family as a child. My absolute favorite of hers is Spinning Silver.

About my post, sharing with people so passionate aboute figure skating is a priviledge

:) :luv17: :agree:

When you see Aliona's SP, scoring is just a detail compared to flying away with her.

That describes very well how I feel about many of my favorite skaters. And since last years JGP final, I include Aliona in that category. :)

Batsuchan

Medalist
In Aliona skating I can see the sweetness you talk about, corresponding to the well behaved, elegant and self controlled girl I could meet, but also an inner personality more extrovert, wild and funny probably reserved to people she is confident with.
And I can see hints of the classy, educated and sophisticated Lady she could become.

McBibus, thank you so much for sharing your experience at the gala and your photos! :thank:

I think you described Aliona's personality perfectly (what from what I can tell). :yes: At heart, I think she's a funny "little devil," as Daniil said, but at press conferences and in interviews, I think she can come off as being a bit reserved/shy because has to be careful not to let too much of her mischievous side show. :biggrin:

Yes! that's my memory as well. One of my favorite adapters of fairy tales is Naomi Novik, who bases her stories on the Polish and eastern Europe tales she heard from her family as a child. My absolute favorite of hers is Spinning Silver.

OMG, I just read that over the holidays and really enjoyed the book! :eek: :agree:

This is when Aliona looked like a real-life Juliet! :love:

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OMG, I just read that over the holidays and really enjoyed the book! :eek: :agree:

That's so cool! :luv17: :eek: :yes: Maybe our posts here will help spread the word. It's such a fabulous book on so many levels. Maybe we could talk about it over in the Books thread.

McBibus

On the Ice

I'm pretty sure this also wasn't in the Western version
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7CP32WoWa_/?igshid=meao4c0fe3xt
:hap57:

That describes very well how I feel about many of my favorite skaters. And since last years JGP final, I include Aliona in that category. :)

When they mesmerize and transport you away in another time and place, it's when it becomes art (or magic)

P.S. in your previous post you used the word "regal" about Aleksandra: I think you nailed it as it perfectly describes her posture and walk (and why I described her presence as "commanding")

Batsuchan

Medalist
That's so cool! :luv17: :eek: :yes: Maybe our posts here will help spread the word. It's such a fabulous book on so many levels. Maybe we could talk about it over in the Books thread.

Sure, let's do it! I just looked at the Fantasy books thread and one of the more recent posts mentioned Naomi Novik!! :laugh: :agree: