This and That: Skate America | Page 2 | Golden Skate

This and That: Skate America

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was happy they didn't slam Mirai for her poor showing, wondering if she should retire, like some did here on GS.

I also liked Kimmie's honesty about skaters' obsession with their body weight/fitness and perhaps offering a different perspective than Christine Brennan about Gracie. She also explained that Dylan and Lubov had harder transitions than Haven and Brandon, making the 2 point difference despite the more obvious errors of the Canadians.

This episode was tighter, coming in at 47 mins, and less going off topic/gossipy like some of the T&T tend to be. Bring back Kimmie for sure!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I loved Kimmie so much. She needs to come back for other segments.

Also I did appreciate her take on Evgenia's FS. While I agree why some people might be bothered by the footwork (and personally it's a bit jarring for me), but I appreciate the alternative worldview -- that it represents how 9/11 affected the world on a global scale.

I also enjoyed hearing her perspective as a competitive skater. I also thought it was interesting to hear how challenging it is to try to change jump technique, i.e. getting the flip edge.

sarama

Medalist
Kimmie was such a great co-host!
Tessa and Scott's interview was just lovely... I always feel like they put on a "super nice and politically correct" façade in interviews (which they have all the rights to do of course), but I think in these case they were more genuine and relaxed than usual which was refreshing

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Mark Hanretty is the guest this week. Otherwise known as one of the Eurosports announcers that many enjoy.

NicolettaL

Final Flight
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSS! I love the fact how much awesome guest hosts Dave brings this year. And that we are outside USA with this. Continue please

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Since Hanretty is on it I am half tempted to give it another go.

But just to make sure I do not waste my time: how much of a field day did Dave have with Max's skates? Are we talking outright joy and glee at underperformance, endless criticism, or actual reasonable evaluation?

qwerty

On the Ice
Since Hanretty is on it I am half tempted to give it another go.

But just to make sure I do not waste my time: how much of a field day did Dave have with Max's skates? Are we talking outright joy and glee at underperformance, endless criticism, or actual reasonable evaluation?

Discussion of Max is from 18:20-23:44, if you want to avoid it. Neither of them liked his free skate very much. They also pointed out the PCS gap and lost spin/step levels. I don't think it was a malicious discourse, but your mileage may vary.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
IMO, this week's This or That just seemed like a Dave Lease Interview

Oh well...there will be some hits and misses. Now wondering who will be Dave's next guest. really hoping that they would be a bit more opinionated next time too

rain

Record Breaker
IMO, this week's This or That just seemed like a Dave Lease Interview

Oh well...there will be some hits and misses. Now wondering who will be Dave's next guest. really hoping that they would be a bit more opinionated next time too

I agree. Hanretty didn't seem to have much to say, or that he was willing to say on the record. Dave did a good job carrying the show himself, but it's tough when you've got someone who's not willing to have an opinion themselves.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I agree. Hanretty didn't seem to have much to say, or that he was willing to say on the record. Dave did a good job carrying the show himself, but it's tough when you've got someone who's not willing to have an opinion themselves.

You do have a point. I'm assuming Hanretty doesn't want to say anything more that will jeopardize his position as a Eurosport commentator.

andromache

Record Breaker
I love listening to John Kerr in the most recent This and That (his accent!). He overuses the phrase "to be honest" but he is honest to the point of being blunt. He's got great insights into the ice dancers as well as the other programs at TDF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37jOrRyFygo&t=1993s

Agree, Must-listen/watch for ice dance lovers, especially since TSL's dance coverage is usually a little lackluster.

Anyone else doing TSL fantasy? How are your ranks?

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was also shocked by the limited discussion they had about Gracie in this week's episode. Maybe Dave heard through the grapevine that the Skate America episode was full on Gracie overkill?

Anyway, I really enjoyed hearing John Kerr's point of view. All the guest stars this year have been excellent so far! I'll admit that I'm missing Jenny though, hopefully law school is going well. :)

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Agree, Must-listen/watch for ice dance lovers, especially since TSL's dance coverage is usually a little lackluster.

I am doing it - I'm around 120 at the moment, so not great. :p

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

Basically 300. I forgot to do TFD, but I was up in the 50s after Russia. :dbana: