Time Magazine Olympic Preview | Golden Skate

Time Magazine Olympic Preview

S

SkateFan4Life

This week's issue of "Time" has an interesting feature photo story on the US Olympic women's figure skating team. There is a large photo of Kimmie Meissner performing a stag jump, and one photo each of Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen. The article is well-balanced, thoughtfully written, and conveys the truth of the situation - it's a pressure-filled situation, and anybody can win the gold medal.

I should think Bode Miller will steal the spotlight from all competitors at the Olys.
I'm not sure drinking the night before his competitions makes him a winner or just a podium medalist. Anyone know?

And he's heartthrob stuff, Toni!

S

SkateFan4Life

Joesitz said:
I should think Bode Miller will steal the spotlight from all competitors at the Olys.
I'm not sure drinking the night before his competitions makes him a winner or just a podium medalist. Anyone know?

Bode could definitely become the poster boy for the Olympics, especially if he fulfills his promise and wins several medals. He is the gold medal favorite in at least two of the ski races.

And, yes, he's pretty darned good looking, too!

orchid

On the Ice
Joesitz said:

C'man, Bode made it qutie clear on the 60 min interview and after, he drank following winning the World championship title. He did not expect to ski he next day. He was called upon to ski and he did. And quite well.

Let it die, he apologized.

O

SkateFan4Life said:
This week's issue of "Time" has an interesting feature photo story on the US Olympic women's figure skating team. There is a large photo of Kimmie Meissner performing a stag jump, and one photo each of Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen. The article is well-balanced, thoughtfully written, and conveys the truth of the situation - it's a pressure-filled situation, and anybody can win the gold medal.
SkateFan4Life, I gotta disagree that the article is well-balanced, thoughtfully written, and conveys the truth of the situation. It conveys some truths, but leaves out some important ones, IMO--which you can read in my "pithy" review of the article in the "TIME Favors Meissner" thread.:biggrin: Seriously, I'd love to hear your response.

After all, different opinions are what forums are all about.:)

Rgirl

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
SkateFan4Life, I gotta disagree that the article is well-balanced, thoughtfully written, and conveys the truth of the situation. It conveys some truths, but leaves out some important ones, IMO--which you can read in my "pithy" review of the article in the "TIME Favors Meissner" thread.:biggrin: Seriously, I'd love to hear your response.

Rgirl

From your kick-butt synopsis, I agree with you.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: VGT, This is the first time I noticed your descriptor, "Kwan's vodka dealer." :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That little.... She told me I was her vodka dealer! We did Jell-O shots for hours after '05 Worlds with MY stuff! Oh, yeah. It's payback time.

Rgirl:biggrin:

Just kidding, natch. Too bad we have to protect ourselves from lawsuits. It takes so much fun out of goofing on celebs.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Rgirl said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: VGT, This is the first time I noticed your descriptor, "Kwan's vodka dealer." :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That little.... She told me I was her vodka dealer! We did Jell-O shots for hours after '05 Worlds with MY stuff! Oh, yeah. It's payback time.

Rgirl:biggrin:

Well, she likes to play when she's away from home, but she just keeps comin' back home to me...;)

Seriously though, I should change that considering I made that specifically for Worlds 2005, and that didn't turn out too well for her, LOL. Maybe this time, YOU be her Cianti dealer. She might actually do better.

S

SkateFan4Life

Rgirl said:

Rgirl

Hi Rgirl - indeed, different opinions are what forums are all about :biggrin: .
I thought the Time article was well-written, in that it described Kimmie Meissner as an young, up-and-coming talent, Michelle Kwan as a decorated champion who has been injured and out of action for a number of months and who now must debut her competitive programs at the Olympics, and Sasha Cohen as the perennial runner-up who is trying to muster her great talent into a winning performance. It's impossible to get every angle of the story in three pages. Of course, the story only mentioned the rest of the competition - Irina Slutskaya and the bevy of Japanese women in the context that they have successfully mastered the task of crafting winning programs within the context of COP.

It's too bad that all of us could not contribute to an Olympic preview! That would be great issue, don't you think? :clap: