Trends of the season | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Trends of the season

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Fierce =/= scary but hey, we are clearly not allowed to agree to disagree.

Kevin is undoubtedly one of the best skaters atm, he is wonderful when he's 'on'. I'll more than happily say that.
Our perceptions are antipodal on so many things. I have long ago given up on finding topics we can agree on :) though sometimes, we do agree... on trivial things :) But essentially, I think our avatars tell the whole story, and that's all good.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Our perceptions are antipodal on so many things. I have long ago given up on finding topics we can agree on :) though sometimes, we do agree... on trivial things :) But essentially, I think our avatars tell the whole story, and that's all good.
Do we at least agree that he - Kevin, I mean - is one of the best?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Do we at least agree that he - Kevin, I mean - is one of the best?
Who ? What ? ;)

I never was a fan of Kévin. I prefer Adam a lot more. I saw him live at ACI and he convinced me. He deserves to be recognized because he is genuine in his skating. That's what matters the most to me. It's very intuitive for me but what I perceive as authentic and wholesome is what matters most to me. Kévin's Boléro gave me that feeling. That's what I can say.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sorry, your reply came just after I said that Kevin was wonderful, so I thought that at least was one not so trivial thing we could both say yes to.

I'm all for authentic too, so that's another. Wholesome doesn't matter as much for me or at least it probably doesn't quite mean the same thing to each of us.

noskates

Record Breaker
The full body suits on the women is getting boring. I get it for pairs because of all the contortions they go through but in dance? And short shorts?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I admit, I cringed, and yes, Kevin's is one of the ones I thought was pretty damn insulting (unconsciously, I know) to the paying audience who basically he turned his back on for that Big Gesture. No, he's not the only one and no, I don't expect anyone else to agree. Looked great on video maybe.

The only consolation is that if it gets too stale too quickly, the judges may start marking people down for it.
I hadn't yet seen his performance but got curious about this much-discussed ending and looked at a repeat. I'm afraid I had to laugh at that ending as it was shown on video. From the camera angle it appeared as if he was lunging, snarling, over the boards like something popping out of a dark corner in a horror movie. My laugh was because the judge or technical person in whose face he was getting wasn't even looking at him. She was looking down at her papers and writing a note of some kind. If I were him, I'd have been embarrassed about the lack of expected reaction.

Perhaps he was too caught up in the moment to notice, but performers should never rely on spectator participation in case it backfires. I had a coach for a season who'd been Canadian champion and world's top ten. He told me about one outing where he got thrown off and floundered a bit in the middle of his program when, while he was near the boards and making smiling audience eye contact, he saw two spectators in the front row look at their watches, get up, and head for the exit, right in front of him. :eek::(

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
The full body suits on the women is getting boring. I get it for pairs because of all the contortions they go through but in dance? And short shorts?
Definitely makes movement easier for pairs girls (and eliminates the niggling worry about embarrassing close-up camera shots during lifts; I heard of one Olympics where the advice handbook for the media included a plea to cameramen to "avoid crotch shots of the women in the pairs events"). I would think unitards would also make it safer for the dancers if it fits the theme or mood of the program. No danger of blinding your partner with your skirt draping over his face during dance lifts!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hadn't yet seen his performance but got curious about this much-discussed ending and looked at a repeat. I'm afraid I had to laugh at that ending as it was shown on video. From the camera angle it appeared as if he was lunging, snarling, over the boards like something popping out of a dark corner in a horror movie. My laugh was because the judge or technical person in whose face he was getting wasn't even looking at him. She was looking down at her papers and writing a note of some kind. If I were him, I'd have been embarrassed about the lack of expected reaction.

Perhaps he was too caught up in the moment to notice, but performers should never rely on spectator participation in case it backfires. I had a coach for a season who'd been Canadian champion and world's top ten. He told me about one outing where he got thrown off and floundered a bit in the middle of his program when, while he was near the boards and making smiling audience eye contact, he saw two spectators in the front row look at their watches, get up, and head for the exit, right in front of him. :eek::(

you may not have had the advantage of seeing the entire clip.

the judge looked up and smiled, and it wasn't laughing *at* him, it was smiling with him. Also, from all his interviews, he certainly did not expect a reaction from spectators or judges for purposes of incorporating into his own program, I'm not sure where that presumption is coming from :biggrin:

so you would have been embarassed for absolutely no reason. :). That’s OK, Kévin wasn’t embarassed, and had no reason to be.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
you may not have had the advantage of seeing the entire clip.

the judge looked up and smiled, and it wasn't laughing *at* him, it was smiling with him. Also, from all his interviews, he certainly did not expect a reaction from spectators or judges for purposes of incorporating into his own program, I'm not sure where that presumption is coming from :biggrin:

so you would have been embarassed for absolutely no reason. :). That’s OK, Kévin wasn’t embarassed, and had no reason to be.
It was his whole program including marks etc, but the camera angle at that point, aiming to get the skater's face obviously, was to one side of the judge and behind her so you saw her in profile. If she actually looked up at him it wasn't obvious, but nice to know she did, instead of appearing to be ignoring him :cautious:. I don't know what network's video that was, just the first that showed up in YouTube, but it managed to make the moment look quite funny.:laugh:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was his whole program including marks etc, but the camera angle at that point, aiming to get the skater's face obviously, was to one side of the judge and behind her so you saw her in profile. If she actually looked up at him it wasn't obvious, but nice to know she did, instead of appearing to be ignoring him :cautious:. I don't know what network's video that was, just the first that showed up in YouTube, but it managed to make the moment look quite funny.:laugh:

I understand it may not have been in what you watched. I saw one of those extended clips that were captured and replayed on some other social media outlet.

And looked at those clips only because I was so very taken and captivated by this program where I had absolutely no expectations that I would be My default response to Bolero programs before this has always been, if I hear Bolero, you better be wearing purple chiffon and dying on ice. So I watched this with a fair amount of skepticism.

But to my surprise, my skepticism was overcome. Even Auntie El can change her mind from time to time. :)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Watched Kevin again, still don't like the lunge (but I don't like that particular trope from anyone at all, so it's not just him) but I did have to come and say one of the other trends mentioned upthread - the deep V-neck? - he does it better than nearly everyone. It's very much a 'depends on the man in question' thing.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Is it my imagination or is there a lot more trend-following than in previous years?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is it my imagination or is there a lot more trend-following than in previous years?
I don't know. The costume change was a big one. I think cartwheels would be over if they weren't a "difficult entry/exit."

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I used to love tanos before everybody started doing them. Now it looks more refreshing NOT to do it.
It always looks to me as if the skater feels the need to grab onto something to assist the jump. When the Russian girls were still being shown on TV, they were making my teeth grind because it seemed every one of them was using a two-armed 'Tano (Brian Boitano had only raised one arm when he invented the move) on every jump. Like they were combining a skating jump with a traverse of playground monkey bars. :rolleye:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It always looks to me as if the skater feels the need to grab onto something to assist the jump. When the Russian girls were still being shown on TV, they were making my teeth grind because it seemed every one of them was using a two-armed 'Tano (Brian Boitano had only raised one arm when he invented the move) on every jump. Like they were combining a skating jump with a traverse of playground monkey bars. :rolleye:
two arms is "Rippon"

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Learn something new every day. Never heard it called that, but I'll impress my friends with my knowledge ;) , thank you!

You can "blame" Brian Orser :)

2009 interview with Adam Rippon

You're a young skater but also an innovative one. At just 20 years of age, you already have your own jump, the Triple Rippon Lutz. We've read that it started out as a joke in training. How was that moment?

It did start out as a joke. Brian saw that I was trying a single lutz with both hands up and he started laughing, saying, “If you can do it with one arm, why not two!”. I started thinking, “why not?”! The first few I tried were very scary, but I got the timing pretty soon. I love having an element named after me!

isk82

On the Ice
The trend I am least enthused about is the ladies' bottoms becoming a thong within the first 30 seconds of the program. It's so unattractive and detracts from the whole look of their outfit. It's like a car accident - you can't look away, but you really don't want to see it. I realize they have tights on; sometimes more than one pair, but they either need to start cutting the bottoms wider or use some sticky spray or something. It used to happen once in a while, now it's multiple times per discipline.