Trends of the season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Trends of the season

larryb

Spectator
The first incident of judge flirting that I can recall was Carolina Kostner blowing kisses to the judges in her
Olympic Bolero program.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
- posing/standing/dancing in front of the judges/ interacting with the judges, physically crossing the board to the judges with arms etc.
- standstill moments in the middle of the program - Richaud loves them, but he's not the only one

I think that the first is adopted from ice dance - the mid axis choreo whatever they do, you know? Kevin's is good, but most of the others are useless. I feel sorry for the judges.

The break in the middle of the program is a time-honored tradition starting from the 1980s esp. for men, not so much for women. A little rest before the second jump passes. With the 4 minute program though, you have less time to while away and so the traditional 10-20 s break has been reduced to a minimum. Most of the guys have not really been doing it regularly in recent years.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I find myself saying "Stop assaulting the judges!" all the time now. It's already gotten old too fast.
I would feel stupid, as the skater, being choreographed to lunge at the judges and get right in their faces. As a judge, I'd be tempted to shove the skater off the desk. (What would the deduction then be for a fall, I wonder :scratch2:?)

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
In: Men's deep V-necklines, women's catsuits in pairs especially SP.
Out and hopefully forever: tanos.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Incorrect lutz edges getting called is now a trend? Ya know, except for the top skaters. Or maybe I need to check skatingscores again.
Can some skaters physically not do a lutz? I don't mean that they can do the jump but with an edge change; I mean, they omit the jump altogether. I know it's the hardest triple to learn.

icewhite

Record Breaker
Sorry I am lost here - what is an 'illusion'?

Illusion spin... now mostly used as an entrance (or exit out of) into spins...

I love them when they are done nicely, but yeah, often the leg is really hanging through and you can see the skaters struggling not to stumble all over. The GOE should go down when it's done badly, but it usually doesn't.

gkelly

Record Breaker

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I would feel stupid, as the skater, being choreographed to lunge at the judges and get right in their faces. As a judge, I'd be tempted to shove the skater off the desk. (What would the deduction then be for a fall, I wonder :scratch2:?)
I may be alone in this, but I would find it very annoying as an audience member, almost dismissive.

ps - oh yes, and another trend seems to be cheap and tacky medals?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't watch the ladies and only some of the ice dancers, so I have no idea if "lunging" at the judges is a trend.

But as for Kévin's entrancing ending to the program,

1. Kévin did not have a move "choreographed for him", he participated in the choreo of this program.

2. As an old cranky figure skating fan and as an audience member, I think it's wonderful of Kévin to involve us in this journey and in the matador's final pose. I feel grateful he chose to do that.

3. I have no idea how judges feel, but if they feel like me, they like it. :)

Again, speaking only to this program, I have not seen the others. :shrug:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't watch the ladies and only some of the ice dancers, so I have no idea if "lunging" at the judges is a trend.

But as for Kévin's entrancing ending to the program,

1. Kévin did not have a move "choreographed for him", he participated in the choreo of this program.

2. As an old cranky figure skating fan and as an audience member, I think it's wonderful of Kévin to involve us in this journey and in the matador's final pose. I feel grateful he chose to do that.

3. I have no idea how judges feel, but if they feel like me, they like it. :)

Again, speaking only to this program, I have not seen the others. :shrug:
I like his ending, it fits the choreography, plus he does not touch the boards.
Some of the skaters are touching the boards in front of the judges, that should be banned or at least a -1.