Trivial FS Pursuit | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Trivial FS Pursuit

B

berthes ghost

Re: Trivial FS Pursuit

Not a question or answer, but just a bit of trivia to pass along:

"Stainless steel skis are a very good idea. Peter Kennedy, a former Olympic figure skater, built them in Seattle in the '60s."

D

DORISPULASKI

1. Which Oly champ had polio as a child? TENLEY ALBRIGHT
At age 11, but recovered quickly

2. Already done

4. Which World champ had part of her foot cut off by a lawn mower as a child? ZAYAK. She was recommended to learn to skate to help in walking. It was part of the oly '84 fluff piece. Her coach, Burrows said her boot should be in the Hall of Fame, and that she could qualify for the Paralympics but was skating in the real Olympics. They showed the foot, which she was very sensitive about. Looked like 3 toes missing.

5. Which Oly champ gashed her leg during a fall in Oly practice? ALBRIGHT
Her father was a doctor and stitched it up.

6. Which Oly champ gashed her leg during a collision in Oly practice? BAIUL
She crashed with Szwechenko, I think.

7. Which US National champ had asthma? HARDING
Which is why it was really brainless to take up smoking.
After a skate, she couldn't talk and was on an inhaler, generally.

8. Which US National champ had a legally blind mother? KERRIGAN
They used to set the mother up with a TV monitor to view at competitions.

9. Which Oly champ was a fat kid who's first coach predicted would never learn to skate? BUTTON
This is in his bio.

I'm getting the ones I know in quick. And 2 is gone already!
dpp

B

berthes ghost

Sorry, I cheated and looked it up:

"...Prior to the 1980 Olympic Winter Games in Lake Placid, N.Y., the USFSA held an international figure skating competition in the newly-completed Olympic Arena. The competition, called Norton Skate, attracted 65 athletes from 16 countries and proved to be a successful test event for the figure skating events of the '80 Games, which were held four months later.

Although it was expected to be a one time event, it was again held in 1981as the first official Skate America..."

Norton Skate winners:

"1979
Men
Scott Hamilton (USA)
Ladies
Lisa-Marie Allen (USA)
Pairs
Sabine Baess/Tassilo Thierbach (GDR)
Dance
Krisztina Regoczy/Andras Sallay (HUN)"

B

berthes ghost

Go Doris, it's your birthday! :lol:

No guess for #3?

D

DORISPULASKI

Yamaguchi?

I know Chin had pigeon toes, but she never won anything at Olympics

dpp

D

DORISPULASKI

10 points for Norton Skate to Berthe's Ghost
(another name for the event was believe it or not, Falling Leaves (or Flaming Leaves, I forget). I did not think it a very auspicious name for skaters!

dpp

D

dlksk8fan

Which skater had polio as a child? Tenley Albright
#2 Scott Hamilton
#3 Kristi Yamaguchi
#4 Elaine Zayak
#5 Oksana Baiul
#6 Oksana Baiul
#7 Tonya Harding
#8 Nancy Kerrigan
#9 Dick Button
#10 US champ? Peter and Karol Kennedy

D

DORISPULASKI

5 points a piece, some more easy ones:

Who were the principal coaches of:
1. Tenley Albright
2. Kristi and Rudi as a pair
3. Carol Heiss
4. Elaine Zayak

5. What is the 3rd oldest skating club in the US?

No takers for what was the previous name of Cup of Russia?

dpp

B

berthes ghost

1. Tenley Albright - Maribel Vinson Owen
2. Kristi and Rudi as a pair - Rick Inglesi
3. Carol Heiss - first Mrs, Brunet, then Mr. Brunet

B

berthes ghost

My guess at Cup of Russia: "The international Figure Skating Competitions in commemoration of Alexander Panshin was held in the February 1908 in St.Petersburg."

The Elaine one is tough. I'm kicking myself since someone (was it you Doris?) mentioned it just recently. Well, I did however find some other neat stuff: Elaine used to work with Uschi Kezler and Robin Wagner and it was Gus Lussi who got John Curry spinning in the oposite direction.

S

Spree2spree

Wich skater couldn't speak properly before he/she was 8!! (Like Einstein)....:rolleyes:

#1 - Brian Boitano
#2 - Sarah Meyer
#3 - Anton Sikarolitze
#4 - Evgini Plushenko
#5 - Silvia Fontana

(prorperly not spelled corectly)....

This is only a rumour i've heard! But i'm pretty sure it's true!..

<strong>Place your Bets!... c",)</strong>

J

Jaana

I don´t know about the previous name of Cup of Russia, did it have one, LOL? Didn´t some of these Champion Series/Grand Prix events start in 1995? I remember Cup of Russia maybe starting in 1996? Of course these events may change the name; for example the German Brofost Cup was earlier Nations Cup, I believe. Maybe the Russian one was Russia Cup, LOL?

Marjaana

D

DORISPULASKI

Berthes' ghost,

Owen is correct for Albright (although she also worked with Gustav Lussi) and the Brunet's are right for Heiss. Inglesi is not right for Kristi and Rudi (question was primary coach).

The 1908 competition could well be right, but was it an annual event? If you can find they held it more than once, I'll give you the points. But it isn't the one I had in mind.

As for the name I meant, I'll give a hint. I have been watching my old Beta tapes from the early 80's, having purchased a used Betamax on ebay. One of the competitors was said to have won this prestigious event. (However the name was not Cup of Russia). I checked it in old Skating magazines, and it's an annual event.

The Grand Prix events were built up of existing events. As previously posted, Skate America was the Lake Placid competition Flaming or Falling Leaves, which morphed into Norton, which became Skate America. Cup of Russia had a similar basis, on an existing competition.

dpp

E

eltamina

question

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Wich skater couldn't speak properly before he/she was 8!! (Like Einstein).... [/quote]

answer: Boitano?

E

EllynK

Ah, OK, berthesghost, you must be thinking of the Prize of Moscow News? But I wouldn't really call it a previous name for the current Cup of Russia. It was a previous competition that existed for a while during the Soviet era, in Moscow I guess and sponsored by the Moscow News?, and was eventually discontinued. Years later, post-Soviet era, the Cup of Russia was established and usually takes place in St. Petersburg. I don't think there was ever any connection between these two events other than that they both took place in Russia.

D

dlksk8fan

Kristi and Rudy's pairs coach was Jim Hulick.

S

Spree2spree

no sorry <strong>eltamina</strong>, Boitano is not the right answer...
that leaves 4 left..

Wich skater couldn't speak properly before he/she was 8!! (Like Einstein).... ?

#1 Sarah Meyer
#2 Anton Sikarolitze
#3 Sylvia Fontana
#4 Enviny Plushenko

<strong>Place your bets!...</strong>

D

DORISPULASKI

dlksk8fan,
Hulick is right for Kristi and Rudi's coach.
dpp