Trivial FS Pursuit | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Trivial FS Pursuit

S

sk8tngcanuck

trivia

I am going to go out on my own and answer Rgirls question about what elements are required to pass prelim test, but I am going to answer Canadian Prelim Test requirements... so there! LOL

Waltz Jump
Salchow
Toe Loop
Loop
Flip
Sit Spin
Camel Spin
FI Spiral or FO Spiral (drawn on test day)
BI Spiral or BO Spiral (as above)
Basic stroking

That is the elements portion (Part 1) and then there is a freeskate portion (Part 2) which is to be 1.5 minutes, to music, and must include those elements, in addition to connecting steps, etc. and musicality, flow etc. is judged for that portion. Both parts must be passed before you are considered to have passed Prelim Test.

Then there is Prelim Skills, which is three parts tested at the same time. This tests crosscuts, edges, mohawks, three turns, all those goodies that are basics for skating.

A skater does not begin working on or testing the above until they have passed their prelim dances : Dutch Waltz, Baby Blues, Canasta Tango.

B

berthes ghost

Re: trivia

Go Doris! Terry did it in 76 and Surya in 98. Any guess on the bonus?

M

mpal2

Re: trivia

Scott Hamilton was the last person to do a back flip legally at the Olympics.

S

Show 42

Re: Trivial FS Pursuit

.......Berthes, right again.......Janet's last name is Norwicky.., that gives you ten more points..........

Here's another.......Name the ladies figure skater who won a silver medal competing against the men at the 1902 World Championships.......42

T

tdnuva

Me! Me! Me! :)

Madge Syers-Cave won silver in London, 1902 behind Ulrich Salchow.

btw - Didn't we discuss that already at the beginning of this thread? ;-)

btw2 - I had listed Janet Lynn's last name as Novicki... Anybody knows the spelling for sure?

B

berthes ghost

The back flip was outlawed right after Terry did it, making him the first and last to land it legally.

OK, which US Oly gold medalist was coached by an Oly gold medalist?

M

mathman444

For ten points,

(a) Who won the 1948 <em>European</em> championships in men's and in ladies', and what were their nationalities?

(b) What subsequent change in the eligibility rules for Europeans did this anomaly occasion?

T

tdnuva

<blockquote style="padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 2">(a) Who won the 1948 European championships in men's and in ladies', and what were their nationalities?</blockquote>

Men: Dick Button, USA
Ladies: Barbara Ann Scott, Canada

<blockquote style="padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 2">(b) What subsequent change in the eligibility rules for Europeans did this anomaly occasion?</blockquote>

Don't know the official wording, but you have to start for a European country to participate... Which makes me always wonder how they incorporate e.g. Israel in Europe. ;-)

J

Jaana

Well, Israel is also participating in European song contest. I don´t know why they include it in Europe, but I have no problems with it, LOL.

Marjaana

T

tdnuva

<blockquote style="padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 2">Well, Israel is also participating in European song contest. I don´t know why they include it in Europe, but I have no problems with it, LOL.</blockquote>

I didn't say I have anything against it. :)))

Perhaps I really have to look up the exact regulations for finding out how tricky they did it this time...

D

DORISPULASKI

Frankly, I thought Janet's maiden name was Nowicki? (no r)
So after listening to this for a while, I looked it up, and I think it is Nowicki

However, Polish is not written with the Roman alphabet. There are a lot of ways of transliterating into English that are legal, and a lot more that were done peculiarly by immigration officers at Ellis Island.

(Ski's last name is actually closer to Pawlowski than Pulaski, but the family has always used Pulaski)

<a href="http://home.earthlink.net/~louis17/errors.html" target="top">Go down to 3rd book. Or put Janet Lynn Nowicki in google.</a>
dpp

D

DORISPULASKI

Since no one has guessed it yet, I'll close out the best men's skater of figures as thought by Dick Button. It is Gillis Grafstrom. As part of the fluff at the '88 Olympics ABC did a long rundown on the figures because that was the last Olympics where figures would be done. Dick showed an old film clip of Grafstrom, and declared him the best.

Looks like all the questions were answered and we need some new ones. Here's some:
10 points:
1. The first triple lutz triple toe by an American lady at Worlds
2. The second triple lutz triple toe by an American lady at Worlds

5 points for each part. There may be some discussion on what is hardest, so justify your answer:

3. What was the hardest jump or combination Jill Trenary could do? Name a competition where she actually landed it.
4. What was the hardest jump or combination Tonya Harding could do? What was a competition when she actually landed it.
5. What was the hardest jump or combination Denise Biellmann could do? Name a competition where she actually landed it.
6. What was the hardest jump or combination that Peggy Fleming could do? Name a competition where she actually landed it.

dpp

T

tdnuva

<blockquote style="padding-left:0.5em; margin-left:0; margin-right:0; margin-top:0; margin-bottom:0; border-left:solid 2">3. What was the hardest jump or combination Jill Trenary could do? Name a competition where she actually landed it.</blockquote>

I don't know if it's the hardest combo, but it's a very special one:

One-foot axel into triple salchow. Landed e.g. at Ice wars 1996 (Pachelbel's canon).

B

berthes ghost

"Looks like all the questions were answered and we need some new ones."

No, mine about Oly champ coached by Oly champ is still unanswered.

1. The first triple lutz triple toe by an American lady at Worlds

Kristi at 92 worlds

2. The second triple lutz triple toe by an American lady at Worlds

Nicole at 95 worlds, although the 3t was overrotated. Third was Sasha at 03 worlds. IIRC

5 points for each part. There may be some discussion on what is hardest, so justify your answer:

3. What was the hardest jump or combination Jill Trenary could do? Name a competition where she actually landed it.

Triple flip, worlds 90

4. What was the hardest jump or combination Tonya Harding could do? What was a competition when she actually landed it.

triple axel nats and worlds 91

3t/3t nats 91

5. What was the hardest jump or combination Denise Biellmann could do? Name a competition where she actually landed it.

triple Lutz worlds 81

6. What was the hardest jump or combination that Peggy Fleming could do? Name a competition where she actually landed it.

double axel, 64 nats, 68 Olys and many other times. She usually had 2 in her LP.

2r/2r Olys 68. She also had it in her first TV special "Here's Peggy Fleming". She probably did it a lot of other times too.

I kept convincing myself that Grafstum wasn't it as he is famous for his free skating: first to do flying sit, first to do spiral, first to do change foot spin, etc... I know that figures counted for a lot, but I've never once heard any one compliment him on them. Leave it to Dick. :lol:

J

Joesitz

I don't know why the back flip is illegal. It is not more acrobatic than the Bielman spin or the 180 degree grasping on to the leg spin. If one acrobatic move is legal, they should all be legal.

The back flip, btw, is just a step in <em>Cirque du Soleil</em>.

Joe

S

Show 42

.........Joe, I think the back flip is illegal, because most of the time it's landed on two feet (exceptions being Surya and Joe Sabovchek (sp))......

....td, yep, Madge Syers was discussed in the first part of this thread (I thought it sounded too familiar).....

......And Doris, you're right, Janet's last name is "Nowicki"...

Is anyone caught up on the scoring....as Paul Wylie used to say, "I'm so lost I'm in Zimbabwe".......42

M

mathman444

20 point question: What skater brought her own military band to the World Championships to play the music for her free program, Pas des patineurs?

D

DORISPULASKI

1/2 Kristi and Nicole are correct. I think Sasha is right, but didn't ask because I am not positive there was anything in between.
3 Jill - this is up for discussion. Which is harder, triple flip or one foot axel into salchow? I would give it to the 1foot axel to the salchow
4. Tonya wrong. She did a 3axel2toe at Skate America
5. Denise is right
6. Peggy-I would have gone with Peggy's spread eagle into double axel spread eagle combination as her hardest trick
She completed it at 1976 Nationals

D

DORISPULASKI

mathman. total guess, but it sounds like something Sonja Henie would do.
dpp

D

DORISPULASKI

Berthe's ghost-totally a guess. Was David Jenkins (oly 1960) at least partially coached by his brother, Hayes Alan Jenkins (oly 1956)?
dpp