TV Alert (U.S.): GPF on MyNetworkTV Monday Night, 2/16 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

TV Alert (U.S.): GPF on MyNetworkTV Monday Night, 2/16

Just the 2 cents:

Mao was blah

YuNa was bluh

But they were placed right even if the scores were high. Don't forget the PC scores cover more than just the performances.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Some background on My Network TV:

MNT was created when the WB and UPN Networks combined into CW. Fox Broadcasting then decided to buy the unused stations nationwide that were given up in that merger and thus became MNT, a Fox owned entity. BTW... MNT is ranked as the # 6 English Language Network in the U.S., though it has recently beaten the CW in weekly ratings multiple times for 5th place.

It's interesting that MNT purchased the rights from the ISU to air a one hour telecast of the Grand Prix Final.

My Network TV official website: http://www.mynetworktv.com

Find an affiliate in your area here: http://www.mynetworktv.com/stations.php

Scroll to the very bottom of the site's front page and in the tiny print find the Contact Us link (bottom right) and click on it... A page will open with an email form. Use it to send a big thankyou for their purchasing the rights to air the ISU Grand Prix Finals telecast.

mskater93

Record Breaker
This is the problem with broadcasting only 1 hour of coverage. There was no time to show the short programs where Weir fell on his 3Axel and managed only 4th place in that segment while Kozuka skated an excellent SP and won that segment, thus allowing him to have enough points to finish with the silver medal. Johnny did place 2nd to Takahiko's 3rd place in the LP segment. Weir was too far behind after the SP to clinch the silver.

Yes, I explained this to him, but he just shook his head.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
At the end it said "IMG Sports Media" so that's who produced it, I guess, and then MNT decided to show it. Since MNT does not have a proper sports division (i.e. like NBC Sports), an outside entity must produce any sports broadcasts it shows.
It's interesting that MNT purchased the rights from the ISU to air a one hour telecast of the Grand Prix Final.
Or perhaps IMG was able to successfully sell the rights to its hour-long packaged show to a U.S. network (MNT). Here's the link to IMG's Winter Sports page that includes info on figure skating and the skaters they represent: http://www.imgworld.com/sports/winter_sports/default.sps

R.D.

Record Breaker
Or perhaps IMG was able to successfully sell the rights to its hour-long packaged show to a U.S. network (MNT). Here's the link to IMG's Winter Sports page that includes info on figure skating and the skaters they represent: http://www.imgworld.com/sports/winter_sports/default.sps

I figured as much. So, if skating fans as a whole want to encourage MNT to possibly show more skating (which I think is the ultimate motive behind sending them positive feedback), the programming must come from somewhere. MNT doesn't produce their own programming, it seems- they just air other people's stuff. So, unless IMG or another corporation is interested in producing a skating show (or compilation) to make available to the networks, we may be out of luck.

visaliakid

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Since it is not on cable. I got mine on regular channel 9 standard. It would be nice if the USFS could discuss fs transmission with that network for all future events.

Where did this channel get the tape? From IN or NBC?

The folks at USFS and IceNetwork know about this, because I emailed Mr. Ramsey Baker (Senior Director of Marketing and Communications) at U.S. Figure Skating following the telecast to provide him with an overview of the telecast and background info on MNT. In fact I received a very positive and pleased response indicating this info would be useful as a part of discussions at USFS and IceNetwork on getting skating back on TV.

This one hour edition of the GPF was produced by IMG Sports Media (who purchased the rights to this event from the ISU) and was sold to MNT. Here's the link to IMG's Winter Sports page ("Media programming and distribution" is one of their listed areas of expertise) that includes info on figure skating as well as the skaters they currently represent:

http://www.imgworld.com/sports/winter_sports/default.sps

Regarding IMG - The following info from the site link above:

IMG manages sponsorship rights for 12 annual ISU Championship events attracting elite competitive skaters from around the world. IMG also owns and manages the Emmy Award winning Smucker’s Star on Ice tour in the U.S., the HSBC Stars on Ice tour in Canada, and the Stars on Ice tour in Japan, featuring the world’s most talented and charismatic skaters in a showcase of outstanding family entertainment.

IMG represents elite figure skating clients, including:

Miki Ando, Japan
Mao Asada, Japan
Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto, U.S.
Jeffrey Buttle, Canada
Jessica Dube & Bryce Davison, Canada
Marie-France Dubreuil & Patrice Lazuon, Canada
Todd Eldredge, U.S.
Evan Lysacek, U.S.
Kimmie Meissner, U.S.
Mirai Nagasu, U.S.
Brian Orser, Canada
Jennifer Robinson, Canada
Joannie Rochette, Canada
Jamie Salé & David Pelletier, Canada
Michael Weiss, U.S.
Alexei Yagudin, Russia
Kristi Yamaguchi, U.S.
John Zimmerman, U.S.

In addition to representing clients in their skating careers, IMG also helps athletes tap into opportunities in complementary areas. Clients Jamie Sale, David Pelletier, Jennifer Robinson, Mary-France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon will join CTV's 2010 Vancouver Olympic broadcasting team to provide expert commentary in their areas of expertise.

I
Part of Mao's issue is the music is so repetitive and, really, this is hard music to choreograph anything but dance to, although her face was SO blank and the telegraphing jumps was like Kostner (especially the flip) and the up and down arms going into it was distracting (no it was NOT choreo, it's like the Zhang wind up).
Agree totally. That music also works in a Ballroom Scene with the whole compliment of dancers.

I like Mao' Hunarian number which show off her versatility.