U.S. Figure Skating Announces 2015-16 Team Envelopes | Golden Skate

U.S. Figure Skating Announces 2015-16 Team Envelopes

ice coverage

Record Breaker
U.S. Figure Skating Announces 2015-16 Team Envelopes

(7/2/15) - U.S. Figure Skating announced today the athletes who will comprise the A, B, C and D (developmental) team envelopes for the 2015-16 season. ...

http://usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=51245&type=media

Criteria for 2015-2016 Team Envelopes
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=350

Reserve Team members will be announced later on this page:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=209

Assignments to International events are shown here:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=216
:

Last edited by a moderator:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
surprised that Hawayek/Baker are in the Team B envelop :confused:
didn't they beat Hubbell/Donohue last season?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mariah is a lovable girl, but last year she only skated decently at nationals, and her international scores were way lower then Mirai

Im not saying Mariah should get more than Mirai. USFSA passes over rising talent to maintain status quo all of the time. This is not unexpected.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Marai above Mariah! :slink:

Mariah is a lovable girl, but last year she only skated decently at nationals, and her international scores were way lower then Mirai

Mirai and Mariah both are lovable :).
Per the envelope criteria, Mirai qualified for Team B because she was the third alternate to the world team.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thx golden for the info. I mean no disrespect to Mirai. Probably fandom getting in the way but my fear is that this may stagnate Mariah a little. Hopefully they both make the most of what they are given this year by the fed. I guess that's about all we can ask for.

Really I'm just hoping Mariah proves them all wrong and moves up a bit in the standings on her own. :)

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I'm sorry not to see Lewis & Bye on the list. This month they outscored Carreira & Ponamarenko, Grosul & Collucci, and the Parsons at the Chesapeake Open. (Defeated the Parsons head to head). Stupid fall at Nationals!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
surprised that Hawayek/Baker are in the Team B envelop :confused:
didn't they beat Hubbell/Donohue last season?

H/D 3rd at Nationals, H/B 4th. So not altogether a surprise. Glad to see Cannuscio/McMaus rate a Team B envelope. In fact, I would keep an eye of both H/B and C/M. I think they're both on their respective ways up.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Per the envelope criteria, Mirai qualified for Team B because she was the third alternate to the world team.

Was her alternate spot earned by her placement at Nationals or something she got because her coach is well-connected and lobbied for that to get her Team B funding? Not that a coach shouldn't lobby for their skater but was she the 6th best finisher of the age-eligible women?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Was her alternate spot earned by her placement at Nationals or something she got because her coach is well-connected and lobbied for that to get her Team B funding? Not that a coach shouldn't lobby for their skater but was she the 6th best finisher of the age-eligible women?

Surely I don't have to remind you that USFS selection procedure for the World team is not limited to the single criterion of placement at Nats .... or do I?

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Surely I don't have to remind you that USFS selection procedure for the World team is not limited to the single criterion of placement at Nats .... or do I?

The skater who placed above her, Hannah Miller, earned a total score of 168.87. Mirai did not achieve that score in any event she skated during the 2014-15 season. On what basis does she get 3rd alternate? Because she participated in the GP?

Layback11

Record Breaker
Thx golden for the info. I mean no disrespect to Mirai. Probably fandom getting in the way but my fear is that this may stagnate Mariah a little. Hopefully they both make the most of what they are given this year by the fed. I guess that's about all we can ask for.

Really I'm just hoping Mariah proves them all wrong and moves up a bit in the standings on her own. :)

Same. She's really become one of my favorites over the last season!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The skater who placed above her, Hannah Miller, earned a total score of 168.87. Mirai did not achieve that score in any event she skated during the 2014-15 season. On what basis does she get 3rd alternate? Because she participated in the GP?

I don't know whether USFS published the selection criteria for the 2015 World team. But one can imagine that they were similar to the selection criteria for the 2014 World team -- which were discussed extensively on GS. As were the (non-identical) selection criteria for the 2014 Olympic team, of course.

If you have a burning desire to review the criteria for the 2014 World team, it should be easy enough to search for them here on GS. I know that I posted them at least twice, Mathman did at least once, etc.
[I do not have a burning desire, so I will leave you to it.]

I love Mirai, but I can understand why USFS sent Ashley to Sochi. I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the irony of your opinion that the only thing that should have mattered for the 2015 World alternates was Mirai's placement at Nats.

Wish we could turn the clock back. Then as long as Mirai goes to Sochi on the 2014 team :), I won't complain if she is not the 2015 third alternate for Worlds -- and therefore does not qualify for Envelope B for 2015-16.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think selecting for the major international events should be a very different processes than for funding via team envelopes. The funding aspect of skating would be better served based on potential future development where as international championship assignments would be better left based on yearly results. If this is not the way the US fed operates than maybe it's time for them to reevaluate their goals and procedures IMHO.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think selecting for the major international events should be a very different processes than for funding via team envelopes. The funding aspect of skating would be better served based on potential future development where as international championship assignments would be better left based on yearly results. If this is not the way the US fed operates than maybe it's time for them to reevaluate their goals and procedures IMHO.

If you do not want yearly results to be taken into account for the envelopes, on what basis would you judge "potential future development?"

If assessment of "potential future development" were to be purely subjective instead, politicking then would become a thousand times more problematic.

BTW, the fifth-place skaters at Nats qualify for Envelope B. So Mariah came very close to Envelope B, but did not quite make it.
I like Mariah too ... and I'm not so sure that the system is as terrible as you believe.

Last edited:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
No, they didn't. They were wisely given 4CC instead of H/D, though.

H/D 3rd at Nationals, H/B 4th. So not altogether a surprise. Glad to see Cannuscio/McMaus rate a Team B envelope. In fact, I would keep an eye of both H/B and C/M. I think they're both on their respective ways up.

thanks for the head's up! should've searched about the results earlier :eek::

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
No, they didn't. They were wisely given 4CC instead of H/D, though.

H&D defeated G&P (with a mistake) in the short dance at Skate Canada, and H&B did not defeat G&P (with mistakes again) in any portion of the competition at 4CC's. So maybe not wise. It was experience. Also, H&D won Golden Spin. Did H&B win any smaller competitions? (I'm curious).

Last edited: