U.S. Jr. Ice Dancer Joshua Anthony Soto dies from gunfire | Golden Skate

U.S. Jr. Ice Dancer Joshua Anthony Soto dies from gunfire

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
PHILADEPHIA (CBS) — An 18-year-old man is dead and another 18-year-old was critically injured after a double shooting in Philadelphia’s Harrowgate neighborhood, adding to the city’s growing homicide total. The shooting happened in the 1800 block of East Cornwall Street.

The 18-year-old who died was later identified as Joshua Anthony Soto, police say. The other victim injured in the shooting has not yet been identified.

Not too many details as of yet. Prayers for his friends and family :pray:

Snippet from Go Fund Me for his funeral:

"His true passion was ice dancing, where he achieved so much in such a short time. Through his complete commitment to this sport, Josh was able to compete at a national level with his partner, Mila. The team competed as a final competitor in the 2019 Intermediate U.S. Figure Skating competition and recently were competitors in the 2022 Junior Ice Dance U.S. Figure Skating Championship Series. His love of the sport was undeniable. Josh defied the odds and rose to a high level as a national competitor because of his tenacity, courage, and relentless hard work! He was a rising star in the skating community, one of the brightest for the future of U.S. ice dancing!"

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Firstly, thank you to @moonvine for finding Penny Coomes' Twitter tribute, as that is how I first heard this morning about Joshua's death. (Incidentally, here is her Instagram tribute, which uses a different photo).

I still can't get my head around it.

Just a couple of weeks ago, we were watching the Denis Ten Memorial Challenge. And although it is a great event that is a credit to the Kazakh federation, it brought back memories of the tragic reason the event exists.

And now we have lost another talented young skater in a totally senseless way.

Why are we here again?!

Here is the tribute posted by Joshua's Ice Dance partner, Mila Guberman:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWBO7z_LRol/

I cannot imagine what that poor girl must be going through. And what Joshua's family must be going through.

My thoughts are with Joshua's family, friends, and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So very sad, my heart breaks for his loved one and his skating community💔

As a native Philadelphian, I know such tragic violence can happen anywhere, any place, and anytime, not just here. I know this neighborhood and good people live there. Again, how very tragic😥

mrrice

Record Breaker
This is heartbreaking. Was he the intended target or, was he caught in the cross fire of something else. Now that I live in Clovis, stories like this almost never happen. LA was a different story. I guess it's a trade off. When I was young, I had to be in the big city due the opportunities that it provided. Now that I'm older, I am happy to live in a nice quiet place. RIP Joshua...:(

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Joshua and his partner just recently competed in the US Championship qualifying event in Blaine, MN, last month. If you are in the US and have Peacock, you can view the event, including their performances, using the replay feature.

His interactions with his partner after their skates are very thoughtful, and suggest to me that he must have been a lovely young man. What a tragic loss.

Last edited:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joshua and his partner just recently competed in the US Championship qualifying event in Blaine, MN, last month. If you are in the US and have Peacock, you can view the event, including their performances, using the replay feature.

His interactions with his partner after their skates are very thoughtful, and suggest to me that he must have been a lovely young man. What a tragic loss.
I just watched it on Peacock, it's so sad.