Upgrade to new boots / blades for overworked ballet feet - adult skater | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Upgrade to new boots / blades for overworked ballet feet - adult skater

Sibelius

On the Ice
Wow! Lots of ballet people here on Goldenskate - hello! I haven't tried Suffolk yet - but when I was younger, I danced on Capezio Niccolinis which were the narrowest shoe they made, and somewhat soft - which I liked because I could feel the floor (but not as soft as Freeds). Those are now discontinued of course...so I was back at square one when I went back to ballet as an adult. I was told Capezio doesn't make narrow tapered pointe shoes anymore - surely I can't be the only dancer who has narrow tapered feet??

The Russian Pointe shanks are just so dang hard. I can't bend mine over the edge of a table...I've tried to wear them a few times to sweat in them to break them in but just can't get past the really painful stiff stage....I think my feet are happier in a "softer" shoe with support in the right places. I was doing my best to make Grishko 2007s work for me, they weren't great - my feet lacked support and went numb but I tried to put in the box liners and did all kinds of stuff to just patch it through - I did my first adult performance in these after a 15 yr period - during rehearsals, I sprained my ankle twice - and a week afterwards - a bone broke off in my ankle (os trigonum) and I had to get foot surgery :( I tossed the 2007s after that.... I think my next fitting will be at OnStage Dancewear in NYC who has lots of different pointe brands (similar to The Pointe Shop, I guess) - for whenever my next trip out to NYC might be. The Pointe Shop might be worth a try...I've spent so much money on pointe shoes that just don't work for me so I'm a bit hesitant...

@Sibelius Your post reminded me I also had two fittings at the Gaynor Minden store in NYC to try to make those "cheater" shoes work for me - they feel so comfortable on my feet (I don't care how they look!) felt like the tennis shoe version of the pointe shoe. After about 10 minutes of glorious pain free pointe work- I get an unbearable pain in my big toe and if you do a search online, there are lots of people who have tried Gaynors and experience bruised big toenails which I feel would be my fate if I kept the shoes on any longer. I talked to the fitters at the Gaynor store to try to ask them for help in addressing it and they swore up and down they've *never* heard anyone who had that experience in Gaynors....

My pointe shoe search continues...I am hoping my skate search won't be as twisty / windy....all of your comments and feedback have helped so much!
There are far fewer skating boots to choose from than pointe shoes. Which is good, and bad?

Upthread you mentioned Harlick, yes, by all means go for a fitting, they are very nice, but it's a looooong wait. One thing that didn't work for us at Harlick was they were immediately going to put her in one of their boots. We explained that Jackson was working for her, but they dismissed that immediately and were ready for us to order. They sort of assume that everyone fits in their boots, and it's really not true. When we went to Sp-Teri (when it still was Sp-Teri) George listened and said if Jackson worked there was no need to try anything else, until she really needed a custom. I appreciated the "no pressure" consultation. And, anecdotally, she has 2 coaches, one has been in Sp-Teri boots and Gold Seal blades since she was 6, the other in Harlick and Gold Seal his entire life, so it depends on what fits!

There are far fewer skating boots to choose from than pointe shoes. Which is good, and bad?

Upthread you mentioned Harlick, yes, by all means go for a fitting, they are very nice, but it's a looooong wait. One thing that didn't work for us at Harlick was they were immediately going to put her in one of their boots. We explained that Jackson was working for her, but they dismissed that immediately and were ready for us to order. They sort of assume that everyone fits in their boots, and it's really not true. When we went to Sp-Teri (when it still was Sp-Teri) George listened and said if Jackson worked there was no need to try anything else, until she really needed a custom. I appreciated the "no pressure" consultation. And, anecdotally, she has 2 coaches, one has been in Sp-Teri boots and Gold Seal blades since she was 6, the other in Harlick and Gold Seal his entire life, so it depends on what fits!
After all this discussion about potential skates = it will be very difficult to wait 4-5 months for custom Harlicks! Plus the $$ isn't so appealing either, but willing to check it out if that is the only option, I.e - nothing else works.

It's good to hear George is a low-pressure consult - I'm looking forward to my fitting this weekend! Thanks for all the advice and input :)

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Wow! Lots of ballet people here on Goldenskate - hello! I haven't tried Suffolk yet - but when I was younger, I danced on Capezio Niccolinis which were the narrowest shoe they made, and somewhat soft - which I liked because I could feel the floor (but not as soft as Freeds). Those are now discontinued of course...so I was back at square one when I went back to ballet as an adult. I was told Capezio doesn't make narrow tapered pointe shoes anymore - surely I can't be the only dancer who has narrow tapered feet??

The Russian Pointe shanks are just so dang hard. I can't bend mine over the edge of a table...I've tried to wear them a few times to sweat in them to break them in but just can't get past the really painful stiff stage....I think my feet are happier in a "softer" shoe with support in the right places. I was doing my best to make Grishko 2007s work for me, they weren't great - my feet lacked support and went numb but I tried to put in the box liners and did all kinds of stuff to just patch it through - I did my first adult performance in these after a 15 yr period - during rehearsals, I sprained my ankle twice - and a week afterwards - a bone broke off in my ankle (os trigonum) and I had to get foot surgery :( I tossed the 2007s after that.... I think my next fitting will be at OnStage Dancewear in NYC who has lots of different pointe brands (similar to The Pointe Shop, I guess) - for whenever my next trip out to NYC might be. The Pointe Shop might be worth a try...I've spent so much money on pointe shoes that just don't work for me so I'm a bit hesitant...

@Sibelius Your post reminded me I also had two fittings at the Gaynor Minden store in NYC to try to make those "cheater" shoes work for me - they feel so comfortable on my feet (I don't care how they look!) felt like the tennis shoe version of the pointe shoe. After about 10 minutes of glorious pain free pointe work- I get an unbearable pain in my big toe and if you do a search online, there are lots of people who have tried Gaynors and experience bruised big toenails which I feel would be my fate if I kept the shoes on any longer. I talked to the fitters at the Gaynor store to try to ask them for help in addressing it and they swore up and down they've *never* heard anyone who had that experience in Gaynors....

My pointe shoe search continues...I am hoping my skate search won't be as twisty / windy....all of your comments and feedback have helped so much!
Ouch! Sorry you had to go through all that, sounds awful!
My feet are a bit different (wide tapered diamond with bunions, medium profile) but I wore Grishko 2007s as well for a while. I also found them unstable over time - the wings were too low to keep my metatarsals centred. Not sure if that applied to you too though.

For the same brand, the size/model can make a huge difference. My first RP shoes were Almaz and I couldn't break in the shank at all, overworked the Achilles trying to get over the box. Luckily another fitter persuaded me to try Brava. Same shank hardness and general degree of taper, but different line - Spotlight rather than Jewels - with a higher profile, pre-arched shank and thinner outsole, which combined made a world of difference, for my foot type at least. (Only gripe is the sharp platform edges which feel a bit weird on piques, hence the curiosity about Suffolks...)
In a similar vein, a friend of mine had the same bruised toenail issue you described with her first pair of Gaynors. After a while out exploring pointe shoe wilderness, she got re-fitted for Gaynors by someone else and her second pair eliminated the issue. She's stuck with them since.

Anyway pardon the ramble 😅 Unfortunately I wish I knew more about skates when I first started - paid the price with a few extra bone spurs...

Ouch! Sorry you had to go through all that, sounds awful!
My feet are a bit different (wide tapered diamond with bunions, medium profile) but I wore Grishko 2007s as well for a while. I also found them unstable over time - the wings were too low to keep my metatarsals centred. Not sure if that applied to you too though.

For the same brand, the size/model can make a huge difference. My first RP shoes were Almaz and I couldn't break in the shank at all, overworked the Achilles trying to get over the box. Luckily another fitter persuaded me to try Brava. Same shank hardness and general degree of taper, but different line - Spotlight rather than Jewels - with a higher profile, pre-arched shank and thinner outsole, which combined made a world of difference, for my foot type at least. (Only gripe is the sharp platform edges which feel a bit weird on piques, hence the curiosity about Suffolks...)
In a similar vein, a friend of mine had the same bruised toenail issue you described with her first pair of Gaynors. After a while out exploring pointe shoe wilderness, she got re-fitted for Gaynors by someone else and her second pair eliminated the issue. She's stuck with them since.

Anyway pardon the ramble 😅 Unfortunately I wish I knew more about skates when I first started - paid the price with a few extra bone spurs...
Out of curiosity @Flying Feijoa which skates are you wearing now? And I really want to avoid getting the bone spurs / damage to my feet if I can help it, with my re-entry back into skating...yikes!

OT - You make an interesting about the RP pointes - the Sapfir ones fit me well, except I couldn't break them in :( I wonder what the Spotlight version of that model might be....

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Out of curiosity @Flying Feijoa which skates are you wearing now? And I really want to avoid getting the bone spurs / damage to my feet if I can help it, with my re-entry back into skating...yikes!

OT - You make an interesting about the RP pointes - the Sapfir ones fit me well, except I couldn't break them in :( I wonder what the Spotlight version of that model might be....
Jackson Premieres :) But my feet are quite wide at the front, unlike yours.

I think the best way to avoid damage is going with a good fitter, plus if you have issues then maybe a physio/podiatrist who's familiar with skating 😅 There weren't any around in the area where I started skating a few years ago, and the bony bumps were caused by poor fit :(

The most tapered Spotlight I know is Entrada Pro*, but it's higher profile so not good for shallower feet. Seems like they have a new lightweight/easy break-in line (En l'Air) come out this year, I don't know if they're widely available yet but maybe someone like Josephine would have some to try...
*ETA: another is Encore.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I now need to know why Gaynor Minden are "cheater" shoes. I haven't danced in decades, and coming back into the ballet world (in a business way because I make dancewear for adults) I am finding that there is a whole universe of shoe choices out there when back in "my day" we had a choice of Freed, Gamba or Bloch. I still have an unstitched pair of Bloch Turning Point that I use for pictures (my world changed when I was fitted with those; previously I'd worn Gamba as Freed did not work at all for me) but I don't suppose they're still around.

"Point shoe wilderness" is obviously a thing!

And back on track, whilst I covet a pair of custom Harlicks from the point of view of pink suede with my M monogram in purple - be still my beating heart! - there is nothing better than a totally unpressurised and unbiased fitting. I used to wear SP-Teris back in the 90s and have nothing but good words to say about George. I've yet to find somebody who speaks ill of him. I was sad when he sold the company but, hey, everyone deserves a retirement! Even if they tend to sneak back to "work"...

I now need to know why Gaynor Minden are "cheater" shoes. I haven't danced in decades, and coming back into the ballet world (in a business way because I make dancewear for adults) I am finding that there is a whole universe of shoe choices out there when back in "my day" we had a choice of Freed, Gamba or Bloch. I still have an unstitched pair of Bloch Turning Point that I use for pictures (my world changed when I was fitted with those; previously I'd worn Gamba as Freed did not work at all for me) but I don't suppose they're still around.

"Point shoe wilderness" is obviously a thing!

And back on track, whilst I covet a pair of custom Harlicks from the point of view of pink suede with my M monogram in purple - be still my beating heart! - there is nothing better than a totally unpressurised and unbiased fitting. I used to wear SP-Teris back in the 90s and have nothing but good words to say about George. I've yet to find somebody who speaks ill of him. I was sad when he sold the company but, hey, everyone deserves a retirement! Even if they tend to sneak back to "work"...
I'm excited to meet George on Saturday! It's so great to hear good things about a fitter - maybe I'll have a shot at not purchasing a few 'bad' skates before I find my "glass slipper" skates :) I'm a little bummed that A&G Skate may not have Graf or too many Risport models, which are ones that seem like they could fit my feet but I'm hopeful I can find something that might work.

Also - Pink suede Harlicks just sound amaaazing!

OT - Gaynors are considered 'cheater' shoes bc they're new and the ballet world has a HARD time accepting anything that might give you an 'advantage' or anything that looks slightly different from the 'norm'. They're not great at accepting diversity! If you work in the ballet dancewear world, I would say you should definitely try them on and if they work for you - I"M TOTALLY JEALOUS. I think the man-made sole does make it somewhat easy to just hop up onto pointe, but I still argue you still have to learn how to roll through your sole correctly so it will still help you develop those muscles. The sole has got a kind of a 'give' that makes it slightly easier to do so. For me, if my shoe makes it easier to dance - I'm all for it. Whatever shoes you wear, you still have to work the right muscles and you'll improve in your dancing.... The box of the Gaynors also has a slight 'wrinkle' above where the box starts, near the vamp, which just offends the balletomanes to no end *insert eye roll here*. The sleek look of the shoe definitely does slightly look different from the other, old-school brands - which just offends some people. My teacher, Russian trained - hates the look of Gaynors but I'm guessing she's never tried them on - the aesthetics just bother her so much. She told me not to get them but I tried them on anyways and tried to make them work for me (sadly I failed). It's good since Gaynors are gaining traction at the highest levels of the ballet world - Gillian Murphy at ABT wears them for example - so they're definitely getting more 'popular'. My two cents :)

berry

On the Ice
Country
Canada
After trying various pointe shoe options over the years I have been most satisfied with my Grishko 2007s. I have very narrow feet, particularly at the heel. My background is ballet, and right now I am just starting my journey on ice!

After trying various pointe shoe options over the years I have been most satisfied with my Grishko 2007s. I have very narrow feet, particularly at the heel. My background is ballet, and right now I am just starting my journey on ice!
Yay! Fellow ballet student and new (new for me in the past 15 yrs) to skating....we can do both. Just don't turn out your legs on the ice, you'll go sideways :D

@bostonskaterguy86 ice skating is also an amazing feat of strength and grace! Thanks for the support for us ballet bunheads :)

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Yay! Fellow ballet student and new (new for me in the past 15 yrs) to skating....we can do both. Just don't turn out your legs on the ice, you'll go sideways :D

@bostonskaterguy86 ice skating is also an amazing feat of strength and grace! Thanks for the support for us ballet bunheads :)
Well, turnout really does have its place in ice skating; it makes things far more graceful for a start! In order to have good lines, you'll often need to turn out your free leg and point your toes. Also, sideways is the right direction for spreadeagles and Ina Bauers. :wink:

Enjoy the journey. It's all about the joy!

I was fitted for SP Teri boots - A width ball, AA heel - Pro Teri model. I can't help but have the feeling the boots will break down soon in a few months but I was informed not to go any higher in stiffness - I need to develop the muscles and not rely on my boot too much? My ankles are super thin and I'm told I should wear bunga ankle wraps to add more thickness to the ankle to prevent my skates from having to be tied too tight around my ankle which puts pressure on my ankle bone....

George mentioned how I could add lambs wool lining to the edge of my boot near the ankle to help fill it out a bit more...? I'm not sure what that would entail....

I got the JW coronation ace blade.

In any case, I couldn't take them home bc they will need to be waterproofed and the blade is going to be mounted....so I'm picking them up next week! I'm curious about the Graf and Risport boot models but it seems like the bay area Pro shops are a bit limited on these brands so I'll have to check them out at a future time. Thank you for your help everyone!

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I was fitted for SP Teri boots - A width ball, AA heel - Pro Teri model. I can't help but have the feeling the boots will break down soon in a few months but I was informed not to go any higher in stiffness - I need to develop the muscles and not rely on my boot too much? My ankles are super thin and I'm told I should wear bunga ankle wraps to add more thickness to the ankle to prevent my skates from having to be tied too tight around my ankle which puts pressure on my ankle bone....

George mentioned how I could add lambs wool lining to the edge of my boot near the ankle to help fill it out a bit more...? I'm not sure what that would entail....

In any case, I couldn't take them home bc they will need to be waterproofed and the blade is going to be mounted....so I'm picking them up next week! I'm curious about the Graf and Risport boot models but it seems like the bay area Pro shops are a bit limited on these brands so I'll have to check them out at a future time. Thank you for your help everyone!
The lambs wool would look like the inside of this boot. This was something very popular with elite skaters in the 80s. I always remember Rosalynn Sumners had lambs wool lining in her SPTeris.

Glad things worked out for you!

Sibelius

On the Ice

Hey there, glad you made it in and got the boots.

George is old school as far as boot stiffness is concerned. The old school of thought (Harlick, Sp-Teri) is work the muscles to get stronger and not rely on the boots, and don't get anything stiffer than what you need for your skills. The new school (Edea) is "you can't be overbooted in our boots" no matter the stiffness. Edea's work great for some, some get injured. The downside of old school is you replace boots faster the faster you advance your skills.

When we first saw him at her coach's request she was already in Jackson Debuts. He thought they were way too stiff for her despite Jackson's skill recs. but since it was what she was used to there was no going back. He said he would not have put her in them. After a time she felt she needed more security on her 2f and 2Lz, so we went with the slightly stiffer Premiere, he didn't give us much pushback since it was a mental thing and she was determined. He held the line on the new customs to the same stiffness she's had for 2 years since there are no signs of breakdown. So I guess we've sort of "caught up" with his philosophy now, leather boots, leather soles, and not stiffer than she needs for her current skills. And, depending on growth, these should take her into her triples.

Lambs wool is used as extra cushion where you need it. It's just glued in with some STRONG glue. Mine has some in her boots, and the new ones will as well since extra padding she needs evidently couldn't be added to where the some of the stitching is done.

Hope you get to try them out soon!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

Ah, George knows his stuff. Yes, he's old school, but I've never known so many skaters get foot problems as they do nowadays, mainly with Edea. Having tried Edea, I would never put a person with thin ankles in them. In fact, one of my skaters who has wide feet and ankles that are way too wide for many stock boots, still found that Edea gave her no support as they still didn't fit around the ankle.

Beginning skaters need support but also flexibility and not too much support - or tightness - that they can't bend their ankles. Not being able to bend the ankles results in the heinous crime of "leaning forward", which puts your weight totally in the wrong place over the blade. If you can, try to watch and emulate the ice dancers rather than the freestyle skaters at your rink. You need more knee bend that you ever thought possible, especially in crossovers, and you just won't get that in a boot that is too tight or too stiff. The downside of having boots that are the right stiffness/flexibility for your level means that they will require replacing more often than boots that you are unable to break in and skate in correctly. Trust me - and, I think - @Ic3Rabbit when I say that it is far, far better for your skating to wear the correct boot for your level than something too stiff. You may feel comfortable and not know the difference, but it will adversely affect your skating and progress and that's a false economy and actual waste of money.

I think Pro-Teri sound like the perfect boots for you at this stage! Especially with the addition of bunga pads and/or lambswool. I have always had super-thin ankles and remember only too well the agony of my ankle bones in my first pair of "good" boots, back before the days of luxurious padding! My ankle bones are defomed for life from it. As a ballet dancer, you don't need any more foot mangling!

Your description of this fitting and the boots and blades you've chosen has made my morning. I'm a grumpy old bat, but it honestly does my heart good when I hear of a new skater - of any age - being given the best start possible with their equipment. There's time enough to experiment with other brands when you have more experience and a base for comparison. For now, you can relax and enjoy the start of your journey. Because, after all, it's all about the joy. :giggle:

Ah, George knows his stuff. Yes, he's old school, but I've never known so many skaters get foot problems as they do nowadays, mainly with Edea. Having tried Edea, I would never put a person with thin ankles in them. In fact, one of my skaters who has wide feet and ankles that are way too wide for many stock boots, still found that Edea gave her no support as they still didn't fit around the ankle.

Beginning skaters need support but also flexibility and not too much support - or tightness - that they can't bend their ankles. Not being able to bend the ankles results in the heinous crime of "leaning forward", which puts your weight totally in the wrong place over the blade. If you can, try to watch and emulate the ice dancers rather than the freestyle skaters at your rink. You need more knee bend that you ever thought possible, especially in crossovers, and you just won't get that in a boot that is too tight or too stiff. The downside of having boots that are the right stiffness/flexibility for your level means that they will require replacing more often than boots that you are unable to break in and skate in correctly. Trust me - and, I think - @Ic3Rabbit when I say that it is far, far better for your skating to wear the correct boot for your level than something too stiff. You may feel comfortable and not know the difference, but it will adversely affect your skating and progress and that's a false economy and actual waste of money.

I think Pro-Teri sound like the perfect boots for you at this stage! Especially with the addition of bunga pads and/or lambswool. I have always had super-thin ankles and remember only too well the agony of my ankle bones in my first pair of "good" boots, back before the days of luxurious padding! My ankle bones are defomed for life from it. As a ballet dancer, you don't need any more foot mangling!

Your description of this fitting and the boots and blades you've chosen has made my morning. I'm a grumpy old bat, but it honestly does my heart good when I hear of a new skater - of any age - being given the best start possible with their equipment. There's time enough to experiment with other brands when you have more experience and a base for comparison. For now, you can relax and enjoy the start of your journey. Because, after all, it's all about the joy.
Thank you @Sibelius and @WednesdayMarch and @Ic3Rabbit for your insight! I woke up this morning feeling my Pro Teri boots are going to be worn out in a few months - and maybe I'll get fitted for Harlicks next week so by the time I need new boots, the Harlicks be ready??

My wallet is crying out for mercy....

I hope I'm wrong but I feel George may have underestimated the strength of my leg / feet muscles - they're super strong due to ballet, I just have the feeling I'll break down my new boots fast.

I don't get my new boots until Tues - when they'll be mounted with the blade and I think I'm also getting custom insoles. Maybe i'll ask about the lambswool lining, just at the ankle / opening of the boot to help with the fit. The thought of wearing bunga pads during every time I skate seems rather cumbersome for such $$$ boots!

I have our weekly class that evening...eek. I may have to skip over to the beginner level just to get used to having new boots and slowly breaking them in....

Although I have a lot of trepidation about this new step - the fact you are so excited for me makes me excited too! I want to skate and learn how to skate better as a lifelong hobby - really wanted to make sure I started right, as much as possible....thanks to this forum I am in such a good place!! Thank you all. I'll report back on the break-in process, which I anticipate is like new pointe shoes - painful and will take longer than I'd like it to....i'm ready!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thank you @Sibelius and @WednesdayMarch and @Ic3Rabbit for your insight! I woke up this morning feeling my Pro Teri boots are going to be worn out in a few months - and maybe I'll get fitted for Harlicks next week so by the time I need new boots, the Harlicks be ready??

My wallet is crying out for mercy....

I hope I'm wrong but I feel George may have underestimated the strength of my leg / feet muscles - they're super strong due to ballet, I just have the feeling I'll break down my new boots fast.

I don't get my new boots until Tues - when they'll be mounted with the blade and I think I'm also getting custom insoles. Maybe i'll ask about the lambswool lining, just at the ankle / opening of the boot to help with the fit. The thought of wearing bunga pads during every time I skate seems rather cumbersome for such $$$ boots!

I have our weekly class that evening...eek. I may have to skip over to the beginner level just to get used to having new boots and slowly breaking them in....

Although I have a lot of trepidation about this new step - the fact you are so excited for me makes me excited too! I want to skate and learn how to skate better as a lifelong hobby - really wanted to make sure I started right, as much as possible....thanks to this forum I am in such a good place!! Thank you all. I'll report back on the break-in process, which I anticipate is like new pointe shoes - painful and will take longer than I'd like it to....i'm ready!
Don't panic! And for gooness sakes put your poor wallet away! I doubt very much George has underestimated anything. He hasn't put you in a beginner boot, but an intermediate one and SP Teris are good quality boots. Bear in mind, that if you go for a fitting at Harlick now, they'll put you in much the same stiffness and you may be needing something different or even a dance boot to move on to by the time you break down your Pro Teris. Adults are renowned for purchasing boots that are too stiff for them and it honestly causes far more problems in the long run than having their first boots not last for six years. (FWIW boots aren't meant to last 6 years anyway if they're the right stiffness for you. Most people replace them every couple of years, pro/elite skaters every year at least.)

Bunga pads are a good thing if you have very thin ankles, as is lambswool lining. Try not to fix anything until you know it's broken. Just relax and enjoy your next step. :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Don't panic! And for gooness sakes put your poor wallet away! I doubt very much George has underestimated anything. He hasn't put you in a beginner boot, but an intermediate one and SP Teris are good quality boots. Bear in mind, that if you go for a fitting at Harlick now, they'll put you in much the same stiffness and you may be needing something different or even a dance boot to move on to by the time you break down your Pro Teris. Adults are renowned for purchasing boots that are too stiff for them and it honestly causes far more problems in the long run than having their first boots not last for six years. (FWIW boots aren't meant to last 6 years anyway if they're the right stiffness for you. Most people replace them every couple of years, pro/elite skaters every year at least.)

Bunga pads are a good thing if you have very thin ankles, as is lambswool lining. Try not to fix anything until you know it's broken. Just relax and enjoy your next step. :)
All of this!

@Adultballerinaskater : I'm an elite/pro and have very strong ankles and my boots (yes that's right three pairs for two disciplines) were replaced yearly to every year and few months. I wear always wear bungas with my skates and wish they had them back when I was competing. If you need new boots in 2 years I wouldn't be surprised, but as soon as you think...no unless you are wearing or treating them wrong.

Relax and give your bank account a break, ok? George knows what he's doing, we all know what we're doing here. We will not lead you wrong.
Don't overthink this. I wish you lots of luck, and hope that you really do enjoy the sport.

All of this!

@Adultballerinaskater : I'm an elite/pro and have very strong ankles and my boots (yes that's right three pairs for two disciplines) were replaced yearly to every year and few months. I wear always wear bungas with my skates and wish they had them back when I was competing. If you need new boots in 2 years I wouldn't be surprised, but as soon as you think...no unless you are wearing or treating them wrong.

Relax and give your bank account a break, ok? George knows what he's doing, we all know what we're doing here. We will not lead you wrong.
Don't overthink this. I wish you lots of luck, and hope that you really do enjoy the sport.
thank you :) I'm excited to try...I was going to head into the rink today to take my weekly class but something came up so I had to skip tonight, sadly. I'll try to head to a public session soon....my skates feel wonderful. The bunga pads are awesome too...I just thought for that price point, I should have skates I could lace right on up but happy to get any help so I can skate better!