US Olympic Team Announced | Page 47 | Golden Skate

US Olympic Team Announced

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tara's competitive figure skating career was over in1998 and all skating was over by the time she was 18. She did have a body of senior international experience before being named to the Olympic team. Johnny had two chances at the Olympics where he finished off the medal stand in 5th and 6th. Johnny was never competitive after age 25. Both are always anxious to pounce on the newest latest and greatest.

Like them or not, Johnny and Tara are former National Champions and Olympians (Tara a Gold Medalist, and Johnny no slouch)... in contrast to Jackie Wong, who is a noted blogger and tweets a lot.

My point was this: Jackie's analysis of the selection criteria isn't the only "expert opinion" out there, and it should not be viewed as The Final Say in the matter. Dissenting opinions among the "elite" mean that this wasn't the open-and-shut case some are presenting it to be.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Actually, no, you didn’t use the word failure. You said the following with no qualifier whatsoever:

“A fourth place finish is not a good result result, and I think you're minimizing the extent he should be penalized for that placement.”
I mean, if you want to attack me personally and put words in my mouth I didn't say, that's fine. I'm kind of used to it on this thread. However, I stand by my statement. The selection criteria do not only look at favorable scores and placements. To the extent that an athlete underperforms, and I would consider 4th at Nationals underperforming when you're talking about only three spots available, that has to be weighed along with the positive factors, which include Jason's international scores. When comparing with Ilya, finishing two places and 10 points behind is not insignificant. I'm not sure what other qualifier I needed to make there to appease you.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Like them or not, Johnny and Tara are former National Champions and Olympians (Tara a Gold Medalist, and Johnny no slouch)... in contrast to Jackie Wong, who is a noted blogger and tweets a lot.

My point was this: Jackie's analysis of the selection criteria isn't the only "expert opinion" out there, and it should not be viewed as The Final Say in the matter. Dissenting opinions among the "elite" mean that this wasn't the open-and-shut case some are presenting it to be.
But he made an infographic. Case closed! ;)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And now, like my friend @el henry I am going to leave the thread.

No new data has come forth, no minds are being changed, and arguments are just being recycled. The thread has run it's course for me.

Final thoughts: Congratulations to the Olympic Team. Good luck! Go forth and skate the way you do in your dreams!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I mean, if you want to attack me personally and put words in my mouth I didn't say, that's fine. I'm kind of used to it on this thread. However, I stand by my statement. The selection criteria do not only look at favorable scores and placements. To the extent that an athlete underperforms, and I would consider 4th at Nationals underperforming when you're talking about only three spots available, that has to be weighed along with the positive factors, which include Jason's international scores. When comparing with Ilya, finishing two places and 10 points behind is not insignificant. I'm not sure what other qualifier I needed to make there to appease you.

I didn’t attack you personally and I think you missed the part where I quoted you exactly.

Re the rest of your post, aside from assuring you that I don’t need to be “appeased,” I have nothing else to say except thanks very much for sharing your thoughts. Like others, this is my last post in this thread. Cheers.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Regarding the politics: The contributor referred to overturning USFSA plans. Yes, the USFSA had a document. And non-participants evaluated athletes behind a closed door, with no public scrutiny or accountability. Whether you agree with this approach is up to you; I don't. But of course, politics and organizational advancement or self-preservation rarely come into play in our sport. It's almost unheard of.

I don't think the criteria was quite as clear-cut as you're making it out to be. You've made reference before to Jackie Wong's analysis, and of course he's an important voice. But (and I hesitate to point this out because I don't particularly enjoy their commentary) Tara and Johnny both saw things differently in their evaluation of the criteria. And, unlike Jackie, they are actually former National Champions and Olympians. If Jackie's voice is worth quoting, surely theirs is, too.

I’ve never heard of a team that is selected via committee not being chosen behind closed doors. That’s why I have been so excited that there were actually clear cut criteria instead of “we will just pick who we want to without much explanation.”
I remember Christine Brennan (and possibly others, I can’t remember now) congratulating USFS on releasing such clear cut criteria. I guess whether we agree with the criteria is another thing. But it is miles better than it has been in the past.

Tara and Johnny aren’t really there to educate anyone. How boring would it be if they actually told people there were criteria and attempted to explain what the criteria were🙄
It’s easier to just pick the hot young skater and that’s what they always do. They’ve already selected part of the team for 2026. One skater/team from each category. SHUT UP Tara and Johnny.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes. I am still not happy.
I did not expect them to get an Olympic spot because of criteria and I understand why they couldn’t go to 4CCs, but really no Worlds either? After they’ve been named to the team twice and not able to compete through no fault of their own?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just hope one of the other two teams decide not to go to Worlds. Preferably, Knierim and Frasier retire, or at least sit World's out.
I can’t imagine they would retire now. Perhaps I don’t have a good imagination.

Spiralgraph

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I can’t imagine they would retire now. Perhaps I don’t have a good imagination.
Well Alexa is 31 now, correct? And she will have made it to two Olympics and probably win two team medals (if the virus keeps away I hope). There's not much left to accomplish to me.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Alysa Liu reacts to being called the 'Simone Biles of figure skating'​

Have you guys seen this story? https://news.yahoo.com/alysa-liu-reacts-being-called-182440774.html

Mr Rice the interview is being discussed in the State of US Women's thread, you can read other poster's views there if you would like.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Mr Rice the interview is being discussed in the State of US Women's thread, you can read other poster's views there if you would like.

:thank: :thank: :thank:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well Alexa is 31 now, correct? And she will have made it to two Olympics and probably win two team medals (if the virus keeps away I hope). There's not much left to accomplish to me.
Alexa turned 30 in June. When she posted to IG when they had to WD from Nationals she said they hoped to be named to the Olympic team but that “no matter what our story is not over.” It doesn’t sound like imminent retirement to me.🤷‍♀️

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Alysa Liu reacts to being called the 'Simone Biles of figure skating'​

Have you guys seen this story? https://news.yahoo.com/alysa-liu-reacts-being-called-182440774.html
Yikes! Alysa is no Simone Biles… Simone was the absolute best and had the hardest technical elements in her routines and when on, nobody could beat her. Alysa is a good athlete. But, if you include the Russians, isn’t even a top ten athlete in the world in the sport she competes in.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
It’s easier to just pick the hot young skater and that’s what they always do. They’ve already selected part of the team for 2026. One skater/team from each category. SHUT UP Tara and Johnny.
I avoid Tara & Johnny where possible, and so I’m afraid I missed this. Who are their chosen ones for 2026? Just curious!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I avoid Tara & Johnny where possible, and so I’m afraid I missed this. Who are their chosen ones for 2026? Just curious!
Green/Parsons, L/M, Isabeau, and Ilia. I don’t normally watch but I wanted to watch the gala because apparently Gracie skated to live music and it was amazing and moving. But instead we got a rehash of the medal winners skates and the annointing of the team for 2026🙄