Vancouver Ladies Rehash! (Emily Frankel's opinion) | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Vancouver Ladies Rehash! (Emily Frankel's opinion)

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
In 2008 Mao had the ability to jump 3F+3T and 3F+3Lo. If she had worked hard to maintain either of those combinations then the 3A would have been an advantage. As it stood, there was no point going for a 3A in the SP and a lot of risk....

Ballade88

On the Ice
In 2008 Mao had the ability to jump 3F+3T and 3F+3Lo. If she had worked hard to maintain either of those combinations then the 3A would have been an advantage. As it stood, there was no point going for a 3A in the SP and a lot of risk....

Well, because she had problems fully rotating a 3-3 combo jump, there was a need to risk the 3A. Looking back at Mao's career, one can't underestimate the timing of her mother's illness. It was kept a secret for many years and was most likely the main reason she had to return to Japan and thus part with Rafael in 2008. Her training in the years prior to Vancouver was uneven at best (TAT herself said she was not fully available due to her own family issues.) If she had stayed abroad, I am not sure if results would be different, but I believe she would definitely be more prepared and better trained. Mao had to deal with many hardships on her own and for a while, media and fans criticized her for her decisions because they weren't aware of the situation. Some may think she was so focused on getting OGM and that was her priority. But I actually think Mao always placed her family first. She ended a relatively successful coaching partnership to be close to her mom. In fact, she even considered putting her skating on hold to care for her mom. It was her mother who dismissed that idea and encouraged her to continue to pursue her goals.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I’m not even gonna bother reading the minutia of this thread.

Yu Na deserved the win hands down. Her win in Vancouver was probably one of the least controversial wins in Olympic history. There was simply zero comparison.

Reactions: ava

Skatesocs

Final Flight
More than the level, i'm interested by the GOEs this got.
That's one I wish there was a "1.5" for - not +1 but also not +2. The sideways position, the classic attitude (that she did achieve for two revolutions!) and the haircutter are decent/strong, and shows decent musicality, but the speed could have been much better, and the acceleration feature she could have done better with too.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Did not find NRW Trophy protocols. So wondering if anyone remembers if this got level 4:

Think she sped up there, as she pulls her leg and hands in.
I count 3 features if we count the speed. Change of position sideways-backwards, 8 revolutions in one position and edge, increase of speed. So level 3.
That's one I wish there was a "1.5" for - not +1 but also not +2. The sideways position, the classic attitude (that she did achieve for two revolutions!) and the haircutter are decent/strong, and shows decent musicality, but the speed could have been much better, and the acceleration feature she could have done better with too.
Probably +1 for me. The spin hits 2 or 3 bullets.

Skatesocs

Final Flight
I count 3 features if we count the speed. Change of position sideways-backwards, 8 revolutions in one position and edge, increase of speed. So level 3.
The haircutter would count as a difficult variation. So 4 here. But I expect the acceleration feature wouldn't have been clear enough for the TP to count.

Probably +1 for me. The spin hits 2 or 3 bullets.
Would have gone +1, too, since it's definitely not getting +2 from me.

jaylee

Medalist
Did not find NRW Trophy protocols. So wondering if anyone remembers if this got level 4:

Think she sped up there, as she pulls her leg and hands in.

Oh, weird that the protocols are no longer online. I'm pretty sure it did not get level 4. Her spins were way faster by Worlds, though.

Then still level 3:biggrin:. The acceleration wasn't clear enough.

Just curious, did Mao ever earn the acceleration feature in a layback spin? I can't recall that she ever did.