Voices From Russia - Wellness Check

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
A Tale of the Crimson Flower
(«Аленький цветочек»)
Directed by Lev Atamanov

I suppose you know “Beauty And The Beast” fairy tale. This is a Russian variant of the same story. The animation is beautiful and even the English dubbing seems to be not bad. :)

A Tale of the Crimson Flower (in Russian, without translation)

A Tale of the Crimson Flower (English dubbing)

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I was wrong that I posted nothing on May 9, but I think it is not too late to tell what I feel

On May 9 we celebrate the end of The Great Patriotic War

(that part of the World War 2 which took place on the Soviet lands)

I can't say, that I always loved this day, but now I have a feeling, that the world renews on this day and all the people become better than they were.
People of our multinational Motherland were defending peace together in that war. As far as we know in some countries the memorials to those people are being destroyed now. They destroy not memorials to Russians, but memorials to all those people who got that Victory: to Ukrainians, to Jews, to all those people.

I think now I should post the movie which is named "Only Old Men Go To Battle".
The commander in this movie is Ukrainian; the others are from different parts of the Soviet Union.
When I was a kid, I thought, that it was a boring story about old men indeed, but this movie shows young guys: today they are new pilots, tomorrow they are "old" enough to participate in the war. Maybe such movies are not easy to watch with subtitles, but this movie is extremely important now.

"Only Old Men Go To Battle" - with English subtitles
(to enable subtitles click the “subtitles” button in the bottom-right corner of the video)

the trailer to this movie (if you need it)

Last edited:

icewhite

Record Breaker
I was wrong that I posted nothing on May 9, but I think it is not too late to tell what I feel

I can't say, that I always loved this day, but now I have a feeling, that the world renews on this day and all the people become better than they were.
People of our multinational Motherland were defending peace together in that war. As far as we know in some countries the memorials to those people are being destroyed now. They destroy not memorials to Russians, but memorials to all those people who got that Victory: to Ukrainians, to Jews, to all those people.

I think now I should post the movie which is named "Only Old Men Go To Battle".
The commander in this movie is Ukrainian; the others are from different parts of the Soviet Union.
When I was a kid, I thought, that it was a boring story about old men indeed, but this movie shows young guys: today they are new pilots, tomorrow they are "old" enough to participate in the war. Maybe such movies are not easy to watch with subtitles, but this movie is extremely important now.

"Only Old Men Go To Battle" - with English subtitles
(to enable subtitles click the “subtitles” button in the bottom-right corner of the video)

the trailer to this movie (if you need it)

Ehm, I know that this is the Russia wellness check thread, so I don't really want to start a discussion, but you are aware of the Hitler-Stalin pact and such? I'm sure you mean the best with your post, but the Russian leaders of that time were very willing to send millions into death to conquer lands that weren't theirs. An imperialistic mindset that many countries in the 19th century and first half of the 20th century had, until the second world war showed most people the horrors of that mindset mixed with modern technology and bureaucracy.

icewhite

Record Breaker
It is not about political “leaders” for us, it is about our families, our lives, our opportunity to breath today. So – YES – we do celebrate the end of that war and we don’t feel shame for such a celebration.

Any other questions?

No, I'm fine with you celebrating your family's lives. It's rather the terms great patriotic war and multinational motherland I have issues with, but that's indeed not the place to discuss here. I'll back off.

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia

For me it is also a very important date, in a sense of victory of peacemaking over aggression, of humanism over the inhumanity of fascism. I offer a modern version of a lyrical song written after the end of the war. I recommend this band, they have a very interesting approach to arranging traditional Russian folk songs and folklore.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
It's rather the terms great patriotic war and multinational motherland I have issues with

I wonder which word is bad from your point of view: “Motherland” or “multinational”? Yes, my Motherland is multinational. So it was, so it is, so it will be so long as we are alive. How can we unbraid so many interethnic family ties now?

I also can say that in USSR it was normal to respect people with black skin earlier than some other countries learned to respect black people. I know that in real life people have different views, but at least, respectful attitude to black people was promoted and USSR never had buses “for whites only”, or hotels, or schools. I have reasons to respect my country, even if you prefer to know only bad things about my Motherland.
(a photo: just the bright side of truth which some people prefer to ignore)

As for celebrating, yes, it’s about lives for us, but not only about our own lives. Soviet people got the peace not only for themselves, but for many people. Even if you dislike soviet political leaders, soviet people had been standing against Hitler for four years and finally stopped him. Ordinary people want to keep memory of all those people and they keep it.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
@Rina RUS thank you so much for sharing all these wonderful videos! :)
As a former ballerina, Russia is where I mostly trained and Russia is very, very close to my heart. I started figure skating a few years after I recovered from the bad accident that made me retire from ballet, and of course I'm a huge fan of team Russia, having traveled to watch them skate.
Now living in Tokyo, Japan, I order Russian food/groceries from the only Russian supermarket available in the city, every time I get nostalgic to eat Russian food. I know I am late to this thread, but I've added all the videos you shared to my "watch later" list.
I'm married now and really, REALLY want to go back to visit Russia with my husband.

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
I want to present another beautiful video of a very popular song in Russia. This song was written to be performed by Nikolai Rastorguev, but it has literally become a folk song. It is very simple and yet it has deep meaning. In a philosophical sense, it reflects something like the state of the Russian man - the desire for spaciousness, for solitude and for reflection, as well as the search for answers to global questions like "where is the day born?"

There are people in the video from other countries singing in Russian, but I don't want to emphasize that. It's a very beautiful and soulful song that brings us together.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I know I am late to this thread, but I've added all the videos you shared to my "watch later" list.

Late? Why? You don’t have to regret. :) You came in good time! Nice to meet you.

Do you speak Russian? (as far as I understand you had been living in Russia)

If you want to share your emotions with your husband, maybe you can do it even earlier than you’ll have an opportunity to visit Russia. Maybe you will feel that you’d like to show him some videos, for example.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Late? Why? You don’t have to regret. :) You came in good time! Nice to meet you.

Do you speak Russian? (as far as I understand you had been living in Russia)

If you want to share your emotions with your husband, maybe you can do it even earlier than you’ll have an opportunity to visit Russia. Maybe you will feel that you’d like to show him some videos, for example.
Nice to meet you too! 🙂

My stays in Russia (all based in St Petersburg, but I went/visited Moscow too every time I arrived) were the longest 6 months and the shortest about 1-2 months long each and the purpose was always ballet training.
The environment is always quite a bit international since ballerinas from all over the world go to practice/learn in Russia, where the best ballet schools and technique are, and most speak English, but we did learn basic Russian to communicate with teachers/directors and local dancers who don’t speak English.
I had always been taught by Russian ballet teachers since the beginning of my ballet life, so I was prepared with basic Russian. I wish I had improved and became better at the language, besides ballet.

During all my time in Russia I have only positive things to say about everywhere I went, the food (so hard to keep ballerina diet with so many delicious foods) and especially the PEOPLE. Russian teachers might be the scariest and strictest in the business, but outside practice, they are big mothers. Most welcoming people ever.

YES, I’ve shown many videos about Russia to my husband, interesting documentaries and he also watches on his own since he’s interested.
And we enjoy together watching Team Russia figure skating, same as ballet, best in the business 🤩

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
During all my time in Russia I have only positive things to say about everywhere I went, the food (so hard to keep ballerina diet with so many delicious foods) and especially the PEOPLE.

:) I mean I wish you to be happy in the place where you are now, to fill that place with your love (so that it will be not so important whether you’ll manage to visit Russia or not). Yet of course, it is nice to hear that you love our country and would like to visit it again.

I decided to post for you a great soviet song about honest sport. Maybe some people think that posting such a song now is laughable, but those opinions are not important. This great song deserves to be posted.

“The Heroes of Sport”

I also found the text of this song in Russian, because I know that often it is easier to understand a text in a foreign language, if you are able to see it as a text (not only to listen)

Heaven will be hot!
People will compose songs about heroes...
One must live brightly in sports,
One must win honestly!
People froze around,
TV screens light up...
Believe that a record will be made!
Know that we are close to the goal!

Chorus:
We believe firmly in sports heroes.
We need victory like air...
We want to give our sonorous names
To all the records!
To all the records!

The challenging way up is difficult,
Leaders are having a hard time...
We know we can win,
If we perform a miracle!
Judges will be strict with us,
But in the end, believe me,
They will tell us that we are gods,
They will say: "Well done, devils!"

Chorus:
We believe firmly in sports heroes.
We need victory like air...
To all the records!
To all the records!

Walk proudly to Olympus,
Strive for a sunny reward.
For the sake of beauty of sport,
For the sake of your Motherland!
One must win honestly,
One must live brightly on the Earth!
They will compose songs about us,
Heaven will be hot!

Chorus:
To all the records!

Last edited:

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
:) I mean I wish you to be happy in the place where you are now, to fill that place with your love (so that it will be not so important whether you’ll manage to visit Russia or not). Yet of course, it is nice to hear that you love our country and would like to visit it again.

I decided to post for you a great soviet song about honest sport. Maybe some people think that posting such a song now is laughable, but those opinions are not important. This great song deserves to be posted.

“The Heroes of Sport”

I also found the text of this song in Russian, because I know that often it is easier to understand a text in a foreign language, if you are able to see it as a text (not only to listen)
Oh yes, it's OK, even though it is indeed the least welcoming country of all countries I've ever lived in and I don't like the local food here (very thankful for online ordering! :D) but I work from home, have the chance to interact with people from all over, and the only go in person thing I absolutely love here is my figure skating world (my rink, my coaches, my rink colleagues, practice, all the activities we do, competitions etc). I also like keeping in touch with all great people I've met everywhere I've lived at. But we're very happy household, me, my husband and our cat =^..^= we also love traveling and going to ski during ski season!

My next wanted travel in Russia is to go from here to Vladivostok and take the Trans Siberian rail all the way to Petesburg. I've only known Moscow and Petesburg and want to see more. My husband loves traveling and is looking forward to it. Then spend sometime there and also skate :) (then I will ask you for recommendation :) )

Thank you so much for the lovely, great song, and you're right. It's impossible to please everyone and some people will always hate, or laugh/make fun, but these opinions not important to us, they can go to other posts and enjoy something they like. We enjoy the great song with great text/lyrics, and we celebrate all incredible sport winners/heroes.

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
My next wanted travel in Russia is to go from here to Vladivostok and take the Trans Siberian rail all the way to Petesburg.

I see. You’d like to spend your vacation inside of a train carriage going through some forests day by day. :LOL:

Well, as far as I know the behavior of people living in a train for a few days can be interesting for foreigners… At the same time some passengers can be dangerous. It’s better to take care of your documents and valuables (it is possible to do like this: if one of you goes to the toilet, another one stays with your things). Many good people in Russia are happy to share their food and drinks even with strangers in a train, but there were cases when criminals were giving somebody alcohol on purpose (in order to rob the passenger when he gets drunk), sometimes the given drink was even more dangerous than just alcohol. Maybe now the situation about criminals in trains is better than some years ago, but anyway it’s better to know that such cases happened.

As for some places to see in Russia…

The Lake Baikal can be interesting (озеро Байкал)

Maybe Kazan (Казань). Kazan is the capital of Tatarstan. Tatarstan is a part of Russia, and sometimes it is said that Kazan is the third capital of Russia (after Moscow and Petersburg).

If you’d like to see some old wooden architecture, it is said that Vologda, Tomsk, Irkutsk can be recommended (Вологда, Томск, Иркутск). Yet I’m not sure that many people speak English there.

Then spend sometime there and also skate (then I will ask you for recommendation )

Rinks? I don’t know much about rinks, but I really wanted to skate on the VDNKha rink in Moscow (ВДНХ), because I was impressed by videos. Once I went there and did skate, but I didn’t see such a big rink with long paths. Maybe they didn’t make such a big rink that year. On videos the VDNKha rink looked like this:
This territory is kind of a park and was called VDNKha (ВДНХ) many years ago. Now it is called ВВЦ (Всероссийский Выставочный Центр). The nearest subway station is still called VDNKha (ВДНХ).

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Earlier I replaced the word “a khorovod” with the words “a circle dance”, but not every khorovod is a circle dance. I think the main thing that good khorovods are full of energy. I think partly you can feel that energy even on videos. Every person can choose whether he or she is filling this world with hate or with love. I choose to fill the world with love.

(this link will show the video not from the beginning, because I think that talking isn’t interesting for you, if you don’t understand the language)

Last edited:

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I see. You’d like to spend your vacation inside of a train carriage going through some forests day by day. :LOL:

Well, as far as I know the behavior of people living in a train for a few days can be interesting for foreigners… At the same time some passengers can be dangerous. It’s better to take care of your documents and valuables (it is possible to do like this: if one of you goes to the toilet, another one stays with your things). Many good people in Russia are happy to share their food and drinks even with strangers in a train, but there were cases when criminals were giving somebody alcohol on purpose (in order to rob the passenger when he gets drunk), sometimes the given drink was even more dangerous than just alcohol. Maybe now the situation about criminals in trains is better than some years ago, but anyway it’s better to know that such cases happened.

As for some places to see in Russia…

The Lake Baikal can be interesting (озеро Байкал)

Maybe Kazan (Казань). Kazan is the capital of Tatarstan. Tatarstan is a part of Russia, and sometimes it is said that Kazan is the third capital of Russia (after Moscow and Petersburg).

If you’d like to see some old wooden architecture, it is said that Vologda, Tomsk, Irkutsk can be recommended (Вологда, Томск, Иркутск). Yet I’m not sure that many people speak English there.

Rinks? I don’t know much about rinks, but I really wanted to skate on the VDNKha rink in Moscow (ВДНХ), because I was impressed by videos. Once I went there and did skate, but I didn’t see such a big rink with long paths. Maybe they didn’t make such a big rink that year. On videos the VDNKha rink looked like this:
This territory is kind of a park and was called VDNKha (ВДНХ) many years ago. Now it is called ВВЦ (Всероссийский Выставочный Центр). The nearest subway station is still called VDNKha (ВДНХ).
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I definitely am not planning on spending days to no end inside a train only nonstop. That would be boring!!

We have seen the route and places we would like to stop, spend some time at.Lake Baikal and Kazan are definitely in our list and thank you for the other city names, my husband and I happen to like old woodwork (one of his hobbies to to make wooden objects), old wooden architecture, so it seems interesting!

And yes, I completely agree about being cautious. After living in 7 different countries and going/being in 30+, it is common sense to not leave belongings unattended so matter where you are, and being cautions everywhere! Do not believe that a place/country is so safe, you can leave your things, go away, come back and they're still there. No, they will NOT still be there 😂 (and if they are, it's only great luck, best not to risk) It's easy sometimes to tell when someone is not local, is a tourist. and try to fool, deceive them. Guarding belongings is easier when traveling with someone else, as you say, one goes to the bathroom, the other watches the things. Also leave bags with locks and strapped to the seat, or even our legs while we're sleeping, so if someone tries to steal, it will wake us up.

Definitely putting that rink in my places to go too :) THANK YOU!

Rina RUS

Final Flight
Country
Russia
thank you for the other city names, my husband and I happen to like old woodwork (one of his hobbies to to make wooden objects), old wooden architecture, so it seems interesting!

As for the cities/towns with wooden architecture, I didn’t check this info, to say the truth. Maybe you can try to find the info by yourself before going there.

Even in small villages you can meet carved casings of windows, but it is difficult to say where you will see them now for sure (they get older year by year)

you can see some pics by this link:

This article tells about wooden houses in Moscow
(I think these houses are still on their places and somebody takes care of them)

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Earlier I replaced the word “a khorovod” with the words “a circle dance”, but not every khorovod is a circle dance. I think the main thing that good khorovods are full of energy. I think partly you can fill that energy even on videos. Every person can choose whether he or she is filling this world with hate or with love. I choose to fill the world with love.

(this link will show the video not from the beginning, because I think that talking isn’t interesting for you, if you don’t understand the language)
Add bagpipe or fiddle music and make it a faster tempo, and they're doing Scottish Country Dancing :):dance3:🎻🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿