Wakaba Higuchi | Page 50 | Golden Skate

Wakaba Higuchi

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Well on the other hand, if Kostner didn't defeat Tsurskaya via massive overscoring Wakaba Higuchi would still likely be going to the grand prix finals.

Such a shame for Wakaba Higuchi. Kostner > Tsurskaya and Sotskova > Osmond both happening like this spelled her doom. You could say that the obvious Sotskova UR that wasn't called is the reason Higuchi isn't in GPF, also.

Agreed about the bolded part. Yeah, that was the point. As I said, they're pawns to prevent the real competition. They're playing this GPF system really well.

Poor Wakaba. I wish I could give her a hug. :(

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Yeah, Waka tweeting right after the results came up made me even more heart broken... :cry:

It's a shame that Wakaba might not get to go to GPF. :( But knowing Wakaba, I am sure she will turn the disappointment and frustration into fuel and motivation to take her programs and her training to the next level. Everyone going on and on about the coulda-woulda-shoulda's is wearing me out. This may end up being a positive, who knows? All I know is that Wakaba is a warrior and isn't going to back down. :cheer:

How could this end up being a positive thing? I'm all for seeing the positives in every situation, Yuzus injury for example - sure. But in this? If she doesn't make GPF and has no other chance to gain momentum, do you think her scores from CoC will go up? She skated lights out there, her PCS went down compared to CoR, and what else can she do? If the judging stays like this, it doesn't matter how much fire this has lit in her, she could only go that far. At this point I only hope she skates perfectly at nationals and that will be enough for the Olympic team, so that she can at least go. She would deserve so much more right now, but honestly, nothing of that is all that realistic. It's just maddening. Why am I watching FS at all :palmf:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Yeah... Her PCS actually going down after a better performance was awful.

Zagitova > Higuchi, Kostner > Tsurskaya, Sotskova > Osmond... So many things had to go wrong for Higuchi to miss GPF and 2 of these outcomes are in my opinion clearly incorrect.

I might go as far as to say that Higuchi's been the best and most consistent performer of the grand prix circuit this season and to have her miss the grand prix finals is very wrong.

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Yeah... Her PCS actually going down after a better performance was awful.

Zagitova > Higuchi, Kostner > Tsurskaya, Sotskova > Osmond... So many things had to go wrong for Higuchi to miss GPF and 2 of these outcomes are in my opinion clearly incorrect.

I might go as far as to say that Higuchi's been the best and most consistent performer of the grand prix circuit this season and to have her miss the grand prix finals is very wrong.

I lost power to write comments for all the stuff already.... Just :slink:

Kara

Final Flight
I haven't been this mad about figure skating in awhile. I can't even go to sleep, but I'm sure Wakaba can't either and that breaks my heart.:hopelessness:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
At this point I only hope she skates perfectly at nationals and that will be enough for the Olympic team, so that she can at least go.

This. This is the one potential remaining bright spot. It's something. It's not what we, or she I am sure, hoped for but it's something.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Karen Chen will just have to win Skate America!!!! And save Wakaba.

If Russia and Canada is playing these games, US better do it to to even things out. Only fair. Japan is clearly not doing good enough of a job for their own skaters, this is a joke the best FS program and performance of the year don't even make it to the GPF, 2 clean back to back FS, constantly underscore in PCS! THAT IS SOME SERIOUS CRIME TO FIGURE SKATING!!!!

Low balling PCS in FS is a strategy for the federation judges now. Just look at what they are doing to Mai's score as well. Consistency bonus is only applicable to some.

Ender

Match Penalty
JSF is stupid. I have no other words. Higuchi got robbed again and again. And they didn’t care. Hopefully she sill have a real spot at Olympic.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Are her chances for GPF entirely gone?

Danibellerika

Medalist
If either Ashley or Polina wins next week, yes. If Daleman somehow pulls it out and either Ashley or Polina are 2nd, then it goes to a tie breaker. She might have a good shot there, but it'd depend on the scores.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Ok so at least she still has a chance :slink: Even though IMO she should've won COC

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
How could this end up being a positive thing? I'm all for seeing the positives in every situation, Yuzus injury for example - sure. But in this? If she doesn't make GPF and has no other chance to gain momentum, do you think her scores from CoC will go up? She skated lights out there, her PCS went down compared to CoR, and what else can she do? If the judging stays like this, it doesn't matter how much fire this has lit in her, she could only go that far. At this point I only hope she skates perfectly at nationals and that will be enough for the Olympic team, so that she can at least go. She would deserve so much more right now, but honestly, nothing of that is all that realistic. It's just maddening. Why am I watching FS at all :palmf:

:ghug:

Wakaba is just very, very unlucky. I guess maybe being a Mao Asada fan has somehow trained me into a more aloof and detached spectator when it comes to facing the unfairness and ineffectiveness that are part of the system? I am very passionate about Wakaba's skating and her as a skater, but at the same time, having seen how scoring has evolved over the past few years I am no longer surprised or outraged by anything. If I can't accept the way things are (for the most part), I'd no longer get any enjoyment from watching skating and just be grouching all the time, which is not good for my health.

How could this turn out to be good for her? Well my secret wish (and maybe not just mine) is perhaps this lights enough of a fire in her to train that 3A between now and the Olympics, and throw Alina behind in base value once and for all. :dev2: Just one scenario and totally wishful thinking. But on the other hand you are right, it really hurts her to miss out on the opportunity to build more momentum internationally.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^as a Yuna Queen fan, I knew exactly how they play the games. I literally experienced it myself during last 2 quads...
it is not just targeting Japanese skaters or JSF is useless, it is not that simple.

Therefore, at the moment, I'm lost for words, I have A LOT to say, but I don't know what to say.

all I wish and can say now is to wish Wakababy Good Luck in Japanese Nationals and make it to the OG. Because, great programs should be seen by the largest audience.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Positive outcome from this for Wakababy is:
treat every competition as an uphill battle from now now, just like the beginning and first half of this season. Can not take anything as granted now until the final pose at OG's FS.
It is demanding and cruel, wabababy and all the Japanese ladies does not have the luxury of ladies of other country to peak at the OG.
Once accept this, maybe, wakababy and other Japanese ladies can compete with a easier mindset. But I knew it will be extremely more difficult for wakaba. because the fact is that she is robbed of GPF and possible OG podium and actually a deserved sure in until now.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
:ghug:

Wakaba is just very, very unlucky. I guess maybe being a Mao Asada fan has somehow trained me into a more aloof and detached spectator when it comes to facing the unfairness and ineffectiveness that are part of the system? I am very passionate about Wakaba's skating and her as a skater, but at the same time, having seen how scoring has evolved over the past few years I am no longer surprised or outraged by anything. If I can't accept the way things are (for the most part), I'd no longer get any enjoyment from watching skating and just be grouching all the time, which is not good for my health.

How could this turn out to be good for her? Well my secret wish (and maybe not just mine) is perhaps this lights enough of a fire in her to train that 3A between now and the Olympics, and throw Alina behind in base value once and for all. :dev2: Just one scenario and totally wishful thinking. But on the other hand you are right, it really hurts her to miss out on the opportunity to build more momentum internationally.

I'm sorry for my ranting :dbana: guess being a Mao fan hasn't made me numb enough to all this. And to be honest I feel like the judging is getting worse and worse? There is always an aspect of subjectivity and one could always disagree with scores or placements here or there, but right now? It's... pretty unbelievable. Evgenias & Kaetlyns obvious flutzes not being called while other skaters get phantom lip calls (like Mai); URs being completely overlooked for some skaters while others are called (look at Alina in CoC or Maria S. here vs. Marin for example, or Elenas SP 3T not being called while Mais was in CoC); some skaters being held up in PCS and getting PB PCS with mistakes (like Caro) over others having their PCS going down for better performances (like Waka). I literally see no relation between reality and scoring anymore, I'm getting a headache just trying to find ways to explain that that aren't "ISU/judges are incompetent or corrupt" :roll9:

Regarding the 3A, I'd really love to see her 3A too but... after Yuzu WDing from and Zhenya limping backstage at NHK, Patrick still recovering from injuries, WeaPo fighting through injuries today... I've gotten too wary of that stuff. She said before that the "3A will likely not happen this season", so I'm not sure how much she practiced it then. If she hasn't much and now just throws herself into training it, potentially over-training it to get it in such a short time frame... :( I'd rather have her leave it out for this season and take the time she needs for it over the next off season. Possibly also just my current OTT pessimism talking though ^^"

liv

Record Breaker
Oh, so there is a chance of her getting in to the GPF still.. never say never, folks. So, if I have this right: if Gabby wins, and either Polina or Ashley are second, then she has a chance... but if one of the latter 2 win, she is out... there is a very real chance that Gabby can win there, she is the reigning bronze medallist, for all that's worth, and was leading at CoC until a melt down. It could still happen for Wakaba.

Roast Toast

Medalist
At this point I have pretty much given up on this Olympic year for the ladies and I'm just praying that Wakaba not making the GPF will cause enough backlash that the ISU will start giving her pity points next season. I'm so over the "be consistent and your PCS will rise!" talk. Alina hasn't skated a clean short all season and she keeps getting PBs.

Danibellerika

Medalist
I do think whether she makes the GPF or not she has done enough to get one of the two spots, regardless of how nationals goes (unless she just completely implodes which I don't see happening).