Wakaba Higuchi | Page 99 | Golden Skate

Wakaba Higuchi

sakurano

Final Flight

ArgieFan

Rinkside
Hello to all. I was a fan of Wakaba (and still am, mildly). I loved Wakaba. She was and is, a great skater, and above all, at 13 and 14, she was very, very happy. I loved her character. It was comforting to see how well she jumped (and jumps). No matter how she threw herself into the air, she always landed well. But I met Marin Honda, that virus of beauty and grace and I forgot about Wakaba haha. I care more about aesthetics than athletics and that's why I prefer Marin despite her subrotations and pops. A Marin program always has grace and elegance. But from time to time I watch Wakaba.

I just read the note left by Banri. There is a beautiful picture of Wakaba. Wakaba would look beautiful by losing a little weight. That's why I'm happy to read it. But that article that Banri mentions is from a year ago. Today Wakaba looks her normal weight. It is difficult to make the body abandon the "programmed weight", it costs a lot of effort, but Wakaba has a lot of will, she is able to achieve it for longer periods.

I have discovered a great translator, the site deepl.com, which I recommend. With this tool I translated from Japanese the article mentioned by Banri. I only had to correct it a little, in less than 1%, since the translator was wrong about the genre of the subject described.

Deepl also translates Russian and Chinese very well, and the European languages are translated close to perfection.

Here is the translated article:

Wakaba Higuchi honed and squeezed her mind and body to make a stunning comeback at the All-Japan Championships, coming in fourth in the SP, but a near-perfect performance in the free skate moved her up to second place with a total of 206.61 points, her first podium finish in three years, and second overall with over 200 points.

In the first half of the season, she finished sixth in both the Grand Prix (GP) series in Skate America and the French Cup. However, Higuchi herself was satisfied with her performance, and she was getting better and better at it. “I've been practicing a lot to keep going even if my jumps fail, to never give up, to never give up, to never give up, to never give up," she said, adding that she was confident going into All-Japan.

“I have been working hard to stay calm and not to give up, and I was able to do that in the competition," she said. I've been working hard for the past couple of months to prepare for Nationals, so it was good to be able to show the results. There were times when I felt like I was going to lose my mind during practice, but I knew that if I didn't work hard, the results wouldn't follow, so I held on and did my best”.

[Argiefan: What Marin never does, haha]

Higuchi's speedy skating and dynamic jumps have made her a promising hope for the future since she was a junior. In her first year as a junior, she won her first junior GP competition in 2014-15, and in the junior GP finals, she reeled off a fifth-place finish in SP to finish third overall in the free skate. It had been five years since Kanako Murakami stood on the podium at the Junior GP Finals since 2009.

That season, she was also the All-Japan Junior Championship champion, and at the All-Japan Championships, where she competed for the first time as a recommended competitor, she finished third overall, one of the podium finishes. It was the first time for her to be on the podium as an eighth grader since Mao Asada in 2004. At the Junior World Championships, she continued her success by setting new personal bests in both SP and FS to win the bronze medal.

Three seasons ago, she made the switch to the senior level after her success in the junior level. In the PyeongChang Olympics, she also made her first appearance in the GP Finals at two GPs, but she was not able to make it to the Olympics, as she was injured in a crucial competition, and missed out on representing the Olympics.

The main reason for her slump was probably because he had grown so big and struggled with weight gain after turning senior. She lost her overall sharpness and made more mistakes in her jumps as well. The triple axel (triple and a half jump), a big move he wanted to work on, seemed to be something she never even practiced.

The 18-year-old, who has a sweet tooth and a fondness for chocolate and ice cream, is growing up and is easily overweight. She has been so concerned about controlling her weight for the past year and a half that she has been under a lot of stress. This season, however, she has been able to control her weight well in the off-season by adjusting her diet, and her efforts are finally paying off.

“I've been working a lot on weight control, losing weight, gaining muscle, losing body fat. In training, I've been trying to avoid injuries and strengthen my muscles and tendons in areas that are weak and could lead to injuries that could be painful.

I adjusted my diet, but I also increased the amount of practice and training, so it wasn't a case of losing a few pounds in one week, but rather losing weight gradually over a period of three months, so I didn't really notice a change in my weight, which was great training. I think.”

The various efforts seem to have finally started to pay off, and she has the presence of mind to endure the rigorous training without the stress she had before. A reporter asked she, "How many pounds have you lost in the past three months?”. "I can't tell you that," she replied cheerfully, "I can't tell you that” (laughs).

It goes without saying that in figure skating, the lighter weight is better than the heavier weight, so what effect did the weight reduction have on her? Higuchi said with a real sense of accomplishment: "I feel less injured. I don't get injured as much as I used to, or at least not as much. I didn't really feel it at first, but then I suddenly realized that being light made it easier for me to jump and keep my strength up.”

In the second half of last season, when she were in a slump, she was not able to participate in the big international tournaments. So this year, she had set himself the goal of achieving results at the All-Japan Championships, which doubled as a preliminary round for the World Championships, to qualify for the national team.

“But my teachers, friends, and parents told me that my goal is All-Japan, so I had to work hard or I would regret it, so my awareness has improved since the beginning of the season. I'm getting stronger. It's paying off in practice and we've been able to show it in this game.”

“As a college student this spring, I've gained more autonomy in my life.” For example, she couldn't think of a dinner without white rice before, but for the past two months she has skipped the carbs and gone to a diet centered on protein and vegetable salad.

“I like white rice, so not being able to eat it at night has been the toughest thing to practice. I really couldn't eat carbs for dinner at night. I've been experimenting with a lot of things this season, and I was a little nervous about whether or not I'd get good results, but the results gave me confidence, so I thought it was important to make new discoveries.”

After a brief hiatus, she has also started to work on her triple axel, which she perfected in late November during a practice session at her home rink.
[Argiefan: wow!] With hers high, wide and dynamic jumps, if she can improve her odds of being able to incorporate them into her competition, she should be a great weapon against the Russians.

End of article.
Regards!

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I just read the note left by Banri. There is a beautiful picture of Wakaba. Wakaba would look beautiful by losing a little weight. That's why I'm happy to read it. But that article that Banri mentions is from a year ago. Today Wakaba looks her normal weight. It is difficult to make the body abandon the "programmed weight", it costs a lot of effort, but Wakaba has a lot of will, she is able to achieve it for longer periods.
...Who's Banri?

Wakaba is rotating 3As in competition now and even landed one with a 3-turn this season. She's never done that before in her career. I think that would indicate that she's in prime physical condition.

Everyone has a different weight at which they operate efficiently - skaters like Midori Ito or Viktoria Volchkova jumped worse after they lost weight. Athletic ability sometimes correlates with having a physique that conforms to a societal ideal of beauty, but not always. If the two aims clash then jumping takes priority because this is a sport, not a catwalk.

ArgieFan

Rinkside
...Who's Banri?

Wakaba is rotating 3As in competition now and even landed one with a 3-turn this season. She's never done that before in her career. I think that would indicate that she's in prime physical condition.

Everyone has a different weight at which they operate efficiently - skaters like Midori Ito or Viktoria Volchkova jumped worse after they lost weight. Athletic ability sometimes correlates with having a physique that conforms to a societal ideal of beauty, but not always. If the two aims clash then jumping takes priority because this is a sport, not a catwalk.
Barni another forist who left a link on this same page and you will discover it if you read up a little.

Wakaba has been fighting to make triple Axel for a long time, since she was 14 years old. I'm glad she made it.

"Athletic ability sometimes correlates with having a physique that conforms to a societal ideal of beauty, but not always. If the two aims clash then jumping takes priority because this is a sport, not a catwalk."

Obviously. But I, as a spectator, prefer that in addition to skill, the skater has beauty and above all, I repeat, above all, elegance.

Unfortunately, elegance is the hardest thing to achieve. There is no current female champion who is elegant and fluid in her movements. Disappointing. Anyway, it doesn't matter, it's just my opinion.

Good morning, good afternoon, good night. I recommend Deepl.com again, it's great. Bye.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Obviously. But I, as a spectator, prefer that in addition to skill, the skater has beauty and above all, I repeat, above all, elegance.
But she is elegant and beautiful. She pays great attention to choreography and has excellent posture. She may not hace the same body type or balletic style as Marin Honda but that doesn't mean she is inferior artistically.

macy

Record Breaker
Wakaba landed a 3A+3Toe on training!
I think she's on her way to regain her spot among the top world contenders!!! :cheer2:
it's a beauty! i knew she would get a 3A eventually, her 2A is one of the best with Kostornaia's. i hope she can put it together in competition.

Vemvane

On the Ice
Am behind the times again, but I do love Wakaba's SP, and well done to her for her silver medal!

ISU videos of her skates:

I really enjoyed the step sequence in her free, and was so happy when she landed the 3A. Fingers crossed that she can get it consistent in competition soon!

Joekaz

On the Ice
Wakaba landed a 3A+3Toe on training!
I think she's on her way to regain her spot among the top world contenders!!! :cheer2:
Its all about being clean consistently for Wakaba now. She can has the best combination of technical and performaning ability in Japan imo.

Bolle

Spectator
Amazing music choice for FS for next season

Iron Lotus

On the Ice
Wakababy's programs for the Olympic season
SP: Primavera

FS: Lion King

macy

Record Breaker
Wakababy's programs for the Olympic season
SP: Primavera

FS: Lion King
i really like the short! i'm not sold on the lion king yet, kind of an off the wall choice for an olympic season. i dearly wish she would have brought back Skyfall. i hope she makes the olympics, her skating deserves to be seen on that stage.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
i really like the short! i'm not sold on the lion king yet, kind of an off the wall choice for an olympic season. i dearly wish she would have brought back Skyfall. i hope she makes the olympics, her skating deserves to be seen on that stage.
As much as I adore Skyfall...I feel we saw her best performance of it at worlds. She had it for the 17-18 Olympic season and it wasn't clean at nationals.
The step sequence in The Lion King is wonderful. I would also love for her to make Beijing!