What are you listening to right now? | Page 108 | Golden Skate

What are you listening to right now?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
More bad news, I'm afraid. Bonnie Pointer from the Pointer Sisters has died.

Bonnie's death means that the original line-up of the group, made up of the two younger sisters, have now left for the big stage in the sky. Youngest sister June died in 2006. Older sisters Anita and Ruth would later join the group to make it a trio and then a quartet.

Bonnie left the group in 1977, before the Pointer Sisters released the songs I am most familiar with ("Jump" and "I'm So Excited"). However, she was a co-writer of the following song with Anita (who sings the lead vocals), which won the group their first Grammy Award:

The Pointer Sisters - "Fairytale"

My thoughts are with her family, friends, and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

:sad21: May her memory be for a blessing & may she rest in peace.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Stravinsky's "Firebird" by the Philadelphia Orchestra

Oooh. I like the sound of that!

Was it by any chance this copy? I just listened to it, and it was very good! :biggrin:

And that prompted me to look up this:

Anna Pogorilaya - 2014 Skate Canada Free Skate

Happy memories. :)

I miss her... :cry:

Anyway, BBC2 was showing a cowboy film this afternoon. I am not a fan of cowboy films, but I wanted to see the first few minutes of it, because the theme music means a lot to me. And I am not the only one, because when he was introducing it, the BBC NI continuity announcer (I know the voice, but don't know his name) added the following to the end of standard stuff (title, stars):

"...the film with the soundtrack that brings back many happy memories of listening to BBC Radio Ulster on weekday mornings at 10:30am with Gerry Anderson".

For those that are unfamiliar with the show, Gerry always started his programme with this music:

Jerome Moross - "The Big Country"

I still get emotional whenever I hear that music. Can't believe it is nearly 6 years since Gerry died.

But, getting back to the subject, I left once the Main Titles finished, as I wanted to watch another film that was going to be expiring from the iPlayer today. And to pick up the story, you have to head over to this post over in another thread:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?72930&p=2609622&viewfull=1#post2609622

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
After reading this morning that he had been put into an induced coma, I have just heard that former snooker player turned commentator Willie Thorne has died. He had been battling leukaemia.

So, in his honour, I am listening to the novelty song by Chas Hodges and Dave Peacock that he and some other snooker players (billed as "The Matchroom Mob" after the management agency run by Barry Hearn that they were signed to) participated in:

Chas & Dave and The Matchroom Mob - "Snooker Loopy"

The players involved (in the order of the verses that are about them) are:

1. Tony Meo (ENG)
  2. Dennis Taylor (NIR)
  3. Terry Griffiths (WAL)
  4. Willie Thorne (ENG)
  5. Steve Davis (ENG)

Willie is the bald gentleman with the bushy moustache.

My thoughts are with his family, friends, and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
After mentioning her in a post in the quarantine boredom thread a couple of weeks ago, I am afraid that I have to report that Vera Lynn died this morning at the age of 103.

For those that are unfamiliar with her, Vera was the British "Forces Sweetheart" during WW2. And she remained a very well known figure for the rest of her life. Every major anniversary, she would be at the forefront of the commemorations, performing her signature song, "We'll Meet Again".

Because of this, I had only ever seen Vera when she was an old woman. And to be honest, I didn't like her singing voice.

Shortly into the lockdown, I spotted that one of the classic movie channels that I was becoming addicted to was showing the 1943 film that was written around her signature song. And this started me thinking. Vera's singing was very popular when she was young. Yet I didn't like her singing voice when she was older. So, had the effects of ageing changed how her singing voice sounded in the intervening years?

With this in mind, I decided to watch "We'll Meet Again". And I discovered that her singing voice was pretty much the same when she was young as it was when she was older. Ageing hadn't had much of an effect on it. So, it's just me and my taste.

HOWEVER, the thing that surprised me was how good an actress she was! I'll be honest, until I spotted "We'll Meet Again" in the listings that time, I didn't even know she had done any acting. And going into watching the film, I was kinda expecting it to be basically a concert with a bit of dodgy acting in between to tie it all together into a story. But, it turned out to be a proper film, with only a few songs dotted here and there. And Vera really shone as an actress.

After this, I went onto her Wikipedia page, and was shocked to find out that she had only actually made 3 films, all of which were made during the war. It is such a shame that she did not go on to have a prolific film career, because she was such a good actress.

Since then, I have also watched her second film, "Rhythm Serenade" (1943). And she was great in it too. So, now I am hoping that her third film, "One Exciting Night", gets shown soon.

Anyway, this is a music thread, not a film thread. So, here are a couple of videos of her singing, both taken from "Rhythm Serenade" (the second video starts with Jimmy Clitheroe playing the accordian):

Vera Lynn - "It Doesn't Cost a Dime"
Vera Lynn - "With All My Heart" and "I Love To Sing"

She had a very long life, and brought joy to an awful lot of people during it.

My thoughts are with her family, friends, and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Has anybody ever wondered what Rossini's "William Tell Overture" would sound like with lyrics?

Well, here you go:

David Whitfield - "William Tell"

See, "The Lone Ranger" wasn't the only TV programme that used the "William Tell Overture" as it's theme tune! ;) :biggrin:

This was the theme tune from the ITV series "The Adventures Of William Tell", which was made a couple of years after "The Lone Ranger" finished. Here are the opening titles from the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcfykK8Iw7w

CaroLiza_fan

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Your whole post reminds me of a Disney DVD - "The Three Musketeers" in which classical music is used (Bizet, Tchaikovsky, etc.) & Mickey, Donald, Goofy, & Minnie sing different lyrics to them to suit the story!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
^ Your whole post reminds me of a Disney DVD - "The Three Musketeers" in which classical music is used (Bizet, Tchaikovsky, etc.) & Mickey, Donald, Goofy, & Minnie sing different lyrics to them to suit the story!

Awwww. Thank you for reminding me about this film. I had completely forgotten about it.

:thank: :bow: :clap: :points:

Funnily enough, elektra blue and I were talking about the various adaptations of the "Three Musketeers" stories in PM's a week or 2 ago. But we somehow managed to miss this one! :drama:

I have to be honest, although I am a massive fan of classic Disney cartoons, this is one of the few Disney feature length animations that I don't think I have seen. You see, although the promo poster looks familiar, the songs do not. And when I looked up the UK release date there now, I understood why. It was released to video on 13[SUP]th[/SUP] September 2004. That was a week before I started Uni. So, there were other things on my mind.

Whenever I think of Disney and music adaptations, "Fantasia" is what instantly comes into my mind. It is just a masterpiece! That is where I heard so many iconic pieces of classical music for the first time. And probably what started my love of classical music.

Anyway, my conversation with elektra about the Musketeers started because we were discussing theme tunes of cartoons. So, since this is a music thread, it is probably appropriate to post the ones we were discussing! :)

Below are the English and Italian versions of the theme tunes from the two series about Dogtanian:

Christopher Laird - "Dogtanian And The Three Muskehounds"
Cristina d'Avena - "d'Artacan"

??? - "The Return Of Dogtanian"
Cristina d'Avena - "Il Ritorno Di d'Artacan"

As you can hear, the English theme of the second series is a typically 80's re-mix of the English theme that was used in the original series. I loved the original version, but the re-mix was awful! :drama: (Is that maybe why I can't find out who recorded the re-mix? Does nobody want to admit that it was them?! :devil: )

I loved both of Cristina d'Avena's themes.

CaroLiza_fan

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We own the Disney "Three Musketeers" DVD. It's a hoot! I showed it to a friend who really appreciated the adaptation of the classical music in it. :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I am afraid that I have to announce that one of the great film composers of all time has died.

Ennio Morricone died this morning at the age of 91, after complications from a fall last week.

As Morricone was so prolific, composing music for over 400 films, it is so hard to choose one piece to use as a tribute. So, I am going to take the easy way out and pick the piece that my Dad uses as his ringtone:

Ennio Morricone - "The Good, The Bad And The Ugly"

Here is an ingenious video I love from a few years ago that a MotoGP fan made using Morricone's main theme from "A Fistful Of Dollars":

Nico Jackson - "La Vendetta"

(The original video that was uploaded by the maker was taken down due to a copyright claim, so this is a copy of it that somebody else subsequently uploaded).

And here is a video of my favourite skater doing a programme to "Gabriel's Oboe" by Morricone:

Carolina Kostner - 2006 European Championships SP

Although Ennio himself may now be gone, I am sure we will be hearing his music for many years to come in skating competitions.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
After a good run without any music deaths to report, I am afraid that this is the second day in a row that I have come in here to break bad news.

Country singer / fiddler Charlie Daniels has died at the age of 83.

I admit that I am not really a fan of country music. So, when I read the headline, although the name sounded vaguely familiar, I couldn't place who he was. But I realised who he was as soon as the the story mentioned his most famous song. So, here it is:

Charlie Daniels - "The Devil Went Down To Georgia"

CaroLiza_fan