Which ice dance team is Zueva's current top team? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Which ice dance team is Zueva's current top team?

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Agreed. McGill would be great. D&L are on the rise. KRylova and cam are swamped and seem to be stagnating.

McGill is not only excellent, but is English rather than French. Probably a major consideration for the Shibs.

elif

Medalist
Shibutanis comments after GPF. This time they openly talk about their scores and not being happy. (resisting tears might be overdramatic from icenetwork:confused:)

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/12/13/104027246?tcid=tw_share

"We're really pleased with our performance, but sometimes in ice dance you just don't understand the scores, but we struggle and we fight through," Maia Shibutani said while resisting tears.

"We put together two good performances here and we connected with the audience," Alex Shibutani said. "That meant a lot to us, especially when you can't control your scores.​

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
"We're really pleased with our performance, but sometimes in ice dance you just don't understand the scores, but we struggle and we fight through," Maia Shibutani said while resisting tears.
So, it's not just me then...? :no: I thought their SD was wonderful. FD wasn't the most exciting, but it didn't look sloppy or something.

To re-address the thread title: Despite the less-than-stellar outing, the Shibs are the only Marina Zueva team that made GPF.

hanca

Record Breaker
Shibutanis comments after GPF. This time they openly talk about their scores and not being happy. (resisting tears might be overdramatic from icenetwork:confused:)

"We put together two good performances here and we connected with the audience," Alex Shibutani said. "That meant a lot to us, especially when you can't control your scores.​

I don't want to be mean, but have they ever actually watched themselves? They are so blah... their skating doesn't have the wow factor.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
They got a standing ovation from the audience, who booed and disagreed with the scores...so they could have not been that terrible. Also I would disagree more for their short dance, which I thought was great.

salchowx4

On the Ice

Ice dance has a long history of questionable judging. They shouldn't feel bad if the technical panel was unusually harsh on them or if their judges marks weren't what they expected. It is what it is unfortunately.

elif

Medalist
Ice dance has a long history of questionable judging. They shouldn't feel bad if the technical panel was unusually harsh on them or if their judges marks weren't what they expected. It is what it is unfortunately.

It is little bit different story than unusually harsh day for Shibs. They steadily losing places after 2011. At 2012-2013-2014 they lost to more experienced teams so it is not that harsh or unexpected. Now they are losing places to more younger team Papadakis/Cizeron, losing PCS to another young and new team Ilinyhk/Zhiganshin and Gilles/Poirier just behind them. They didn't improve their PCS from Cup of China while both P/C and I/Z did. (G/P too)

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Their PCS went up from the GP events in the SD though. So who knows what the deal is. They are right that they can't do anything about the scores and just keep working at it.

Barb

Record Breaker

If they don´t understand their scores, how to know in what and how to work. And maybe Marina told them to say that, usually they are not doing this kind of comments.

GF2445

Record Breaker
The Shibs are not terrible but I hope that they grow ever more resilient and take no crap from the judges anymore.
A bit of aggression is necessary to try and push through in the ice dance world.
I am confident that they will move up again this year at worlds.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Do coaches still talk to judges and find out why their skaters scored the way they did (usually lower than expected)? I remember a video mentioning Tamara Moskvina asking judges about scores, find out what judges don't like, and try to fix the issues for the next competition. This was back in the 6.0 days though.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Of course but it's very hard when step sequence is given a level 2 and it hard to know why if everyone believes they did everything right. Like there is no level of detail that says "female Skater put blade wrong here and here and here" or whatever. Then they have to watch the videos and see for themselves where they went wrong in he step sequence.

Barb

Record Breaker
Of course but it's very hard when step sequence is given a level 2 and it hard to know why if everyone believes they did everything right. Like there is no level of detail that says "female Skater put blade wrong here and here and here" or whatever. Then they have to watch the videos and see for themselves where they went wrong in he step sequence.

No? I thought it was exactly like that. Sisinka does this kind of analysis little time after each competition :confused:

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
No? I thought it was exactly like that. Sisinka does this kind of analysis little time after each competition :confused:

They do it but the tech panel doesn't! And then lots take it as opinion and not fact. Like kustarova famously said b/s only do level 4 elements but d/w and v/m have to win so their level 4s are not called.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The Shibs are not terrible but I hope that they grow ever more resilient and take no crap from the judges anymore.
A bit of aggression is necessary to try and push through in the ice dance world.
I am confident that they will move up again this year at worlds.

What do you mean by "take no crap from the judges?" What recourse do the Shibutanis have if they believe they are underscored????

And what do you mean by "a bit of aggression?" :think:

I would love for the Shibs to move up at Worlds, but have no idea what you are suggesting that they do.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
They do it but the tech panel doesn't! And then lots take it as opinion and not fact. Like kustarova famously said b/s only do level 4 elements but d/w and v/m have to win so their level 4s are not called.

I would love to see a "next day" protocol, in which all of the levels are explained by the tech panel. It would add transparency for the athletes and make the sport so much more accessible to its fans. Maybe in a post Cinquanta world....sigh.

chloepoco

Medalist
I don't want to be mean, but have they ever actually watched themselves? They are so blah... their skating doesn't have the wow factor.

I don't find them blah at all--in fact, I enjoyed them the most of all the ice dancers at the GPF.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't find them blah at all--in fact, I enjoyed them the most of all the ice dancers at the GPF.

They certainly had the second-best SD for me. A shame that they can't break the second-tier limbo they've been in the past few years -- it seems they've worked particularly hard this season, which resulted in a trip back to the GPF.

hanca

Record Breaker

For me there is no passion, no aggression, no expression as such in their dances. I am not suggesting passion towards each other, but some passion towards whatever they are interpreting. More commitment into interpreting how they are feeling. Music is dramatic - let's show drama. Music calmed down - let's calm it for now. Then again change in the music, and let's express it - with movements, whole body/face... To me they feel like two people who are skating and their face/body/movement is not telling me anything. They plaster a smile on and that's it. They interpret the waltz with the same expression as they did the Jackson program. And the waltz is throughout the program constantly the same. If I was packaging them, I would choose something that would make them try to be a bit over the top. Because I don't think they are used to showing they feelings and if they think something will be over the top, in reality it will be 'just right'.

The partnership between siblings can work. We saw it with Kerrs. But I don't think their weakness is that they are siblings. I think their weakness is that they are not expressive enough. Maybe some acting classes, where they have to constantly interpret various feelings according to the music that is played. And better/more interesting programs wouldn't hurt either.

Matt K

On the Ice
I'm not sure about it.
Officially Marina is their coach too, but de facto she is like a consultant . So I'm not sure she is spendind more time with them than Igor did.
More important, C&L need to work on their tech.elements mostly, not creativity.

How do you actually know that? So who did C/L programs? Because their programs look exactly like Zoueva's work. Anyone who has followed Zoueva's stuff in the last quadrennial could see it. I don't think Scali or Paola Mezzadri did these programs at all. If so, why are we heaping our frustrations on Zoueva, we should be doing this to Paola Mezzadri.

Unless you are saying Paola Mezzadri does nothing but coach C/L, which, if true, then she is doing a really bad job on the levels.

IMO Marina is their primary coach/choreographer, just like Igor was last year.

For me there is no passion, no aggression, no expression as such in their dances. I am not suggesting passion towards each other, but some passion towards whatever they are interpreting. More commitment into interpreting how they are feeling. Music is dramatic - let's show drama. Music calmed down - let's calm it for now. Then again change in the music, and let's express it - with movements, whole body/face... To me they feel like two people who are skating and their face/body/movement is not telling me anything. They plaster a smile on and that's it. They interpret the waltz with the same expression as they did the Jackson program. And the waltz is throughout the program constantly the same. If I was packaging them, I would choose something that would make them try to be a bit over the top. Because I don't think they are used to showing they feelings and if they think something will be over the top, in reality it will be 'just right'.

The partnership between siblings can work. We saw it with Kerrs. But I don't think their weakness is that they are siblings. I think their weakness is that they are not expressive enough. Maybe some acting classes, where they have to constantly interpret various feelings according to the music that is played. And better/more interesting programs wouldn't hurt either.

Very true.

Last edited: