Why do some skaters bomb their SP? | Golden Skate

Why do some skaters bomb their SP?

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Been watching and seeing skaters bomb or make mistakes in their SP and then go on to do quite well in the LP. My beloved Rika did that during the first season as a senior and kinda did it again this season as well. Ilia has done it as well as others.

Hoping someone can shed light or theories about this. It should be easier to skate in my observation? Shorter with less jumps? Don't need as much stamina?

Is it because they can't warm to the SP or they get nervous energy etc?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Maybe it's partly to do with nerves? You have no possibility to compensate a mistake by showing other things like you have in the long and that might make you be more relaxed. I don't think it's easier at all: you have only one chance for the elements and that's it. some can handle that, others have a problem with it.

It also happens the other way round: a wonderful SP and then bombing the FS. sometimes really a stamina issue, but a longer programme could also mean a loss of concentration? Often to do with pressure as well, like being in the last group to skate? Or wishing too much to end on the podium?

I have no real theories, just the feeling that nerves and pressure can work two ways. With some it works that way in the SP, with others in the FS.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Sp mistakes have more weight than LP mistakes in proportion... For instance a 3axel = 8 points... That's a about 10 percent of a 80 point SP but then it becomes only 5 percent of a 160 point LP

Combo mistakes are also very costly... Some skaters really have an easier time to do a +3 off ONE particular jump... if that doesn't happen, then it's difficult to recuperate. In juniors it's worse as the solo jump is mandatory... no chance to recuperate a combo in juniors at all.

Regarding nerves... as a performer, I have felt that the first few minutes are harder and then one settles down. The Sp comes first, the big elements are often early, within the first 45 seconds... which is when one would be at their peak of adrenaline... Very hard to control... By the time the performer feels fine, the SP is nearly over. Learning how to manage adrenaline takes a long time. Many of these athletes are very young and not as seasoned.

Of course, and that goes for figure skaters too, some people manage their adrenaline/nerves very well from tender youth. It's an acquired skill for most people I know though.

Also, I believe that, often, when a skater has nothing left to lose, they skate better.... that's why we often see redemption LPs.

Finally, getting used to the environment. Technically, it should be easier the second event in... as skaters have been there all week, at practice but also performing the SP with the energy of the crowd, with the judges etc...

As pointed out, the opposite can be true as well.. Some figure skaters are better sprinters... often known for a good SP but not so much in the LP... Josée Chouinard let me down often performing brilliantly in the SP but not as well in the LP. It can be stamina, mental fatigue, not being confident with the extra elements performed in the LP... and simply the added pressure of being in the lead and having to be consistent in the LP as the medals are close...

So I see, physical, mental and technical reasons... it's hard to pinpoint what exactly is the problem with anyone in particular.

As a performer, I have been told, once you have performed about 100 times, you will feel better... which is not easy to do with figure skaters.. Hopefully it seems that the best do not need 100 SPs before nailing theirs... but that is why it is important to do run-throughs.. etc

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I'm guessing you don't skate, OP? That stuff is slippery. ;) Even elite skaters can lose their balance and slip or take off fractionally wrong and pop a jump. Add nerves and nervous energy to that and anything can happen. It doesn't matter how many times you run through and skate clean in practice; on competition ice, all bets are off!

mrrice

Record Breaker
It all comes down to pressure and the weight that the SP holds. It's similar to prelims and finals in dance. If you don't perform well in Prelims, your event is over. There is a lot of pressure as only the finalists will receive trophies and make the event videos and TV spots.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Because the SP doesn't give you the opportunity to make up for even the slightest error.
We saw what happened to poor Vincent Zhou. He was the defending Bronze Medalist and he missed the Free Program the following year due to a weak SP.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I wonser if it is really true or just a perception that skaters more often bomb the SP and then do better on the LP, rather than the other way around. I tink there are plenty of examples of each.
There is no such thing as a redemption SP... and the famous " you cannot win it with the SP but you certainly can lose it"
So those two things make us perceive more the bad SPs when they happen, and also by ricochet when a great LP comes in following a not so go SP.... The slay count is there too to remind us how skaters can bury themselves after a SP and climb back up with a redemption LP.
To summarize, the way the competition is designed has an impact on our perception indeed.