Why is Hanyu so inconsistent | Golden Skate

Why is Hanyu so inconsistent

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
You see the skating Hanyu produced in the short programs of his last 2 events and you wonder why he can never skate close to clean long programs and even often doesn't skate clean shorts. I don't know why he isn't more consistent . Usually skaters who struggle with consistency struggle with either iffy jump technique or nerves. However Hanyu probably has the best jump technique in the World today, and he doesn't strike me as a nervous skater. Is it purely his asthma and stamina problems or is it something else.

CarneAsada

Medalist
You see the skating Hanyu produced in the short programs of his last 2 events and you wonder why he can never skate close to clean long programs and even often doesn't skate clean shorts. I don't know why he isn't more consistent . Usually skaters who struggle with consistency struggle with either iffy jump technique or nerves. However Hanyu probably has the best jump technique in the World today, and he doesn't strike me as a nervous skater. Is it purely his asthma and stamina problems or is it something else.
Long programs I would guess asthma for sure, but maybe he's just nervous, sort of like the male Carolina Kostner - the whole package's contents but none of the packaging to hold it together.

rocketry

Rinkside
He doesn't seem more inconsistent than any other male this year attempting the quad this year. Machida of all skaters was the only skater to skate near his best in all segments of the GP and now he's bombed the GPF SP. Maybe it's the combination of the stakes and the difficulty of the jumps male skaters are performing.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
He's inconsistent for the exact same reason that every top male skater is inconsistent - it's impossible to constantly deliver a perfect programs with the technical requirements that are being asked.

NMURA

Medalist
I don't think any skater can skate consistently with his technical content.
Patrick Chan couldn't land three 3A's when he was 18 y/o (probably he can't even now).

coppertop1

On the Ice
Patrick Chan couldn't land three 3A's when he was 18 y/o (probably he can't even now).

Patrick can do 3As. It is still the jump that gives him the most trouble. No skater will be conisistent all the time. We need to stop expecting perfection from skaters, they are human. Considering Hanyu has only been at this for three years, he has time. It's not like he's Emanuel Sandhu or Johnny Weir who are around for a while and never gain consistency.

GF2445

Record Breaker
From how he acts on the ice, you can tell that to his emotions play a huge factor in how he performs. When you skate out of pure emotion, it can either go spectacularly like we saw from him yesterday or it will fall flat.

In saying that, you can see that Hanyu is starting to rely on his training to help him through. At Trophee Eric Bompard this year, Hanyu missed both Quads but managed to revive the performance and receive a massive score- that is from training. It's the combination of the two (your training and your emotions and connections to the program) together that makes the program spectacular and Hanyu is beginning to find that.

Becki

Medalist

Patrick was no where near Hanyu's technical ability when he was 18-19 y/o. He only started landing quads when he was 19-20, while Hanyu started as a 15 year old.

hurrah

Medalist
Hanyu appears much taller than last season and so he must be going through a growth spurt.

Becki

Medalist
Hanyu appears much taller than last season and so he must be going through a growth spurt.

Yeah, I noticed he's taller than Patrick now. They used to be around the same height.

Also, Yuzu is very slim, so it makes him look even taller. My guess is he's around 175cm, 5'9" which is "slightly" taller than Patrick's reported height of 173cm.

BlackPack

Medalist
He's inconsistent for the exact same reason that every top male skater is inconsistent - it's impossible to constantly deliver a perfect programs with the technical requirements that are being asked.

:thumbsup:

Even in the quad heyday in the early 00s, very few guys landed the quad and/or skated clean consistently. I actually think the content is too difficult, but it's a competition. If your rivals are doing it, you have to do it too or at least try even if your abilities don't set you up for completing them successfully.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Suddenly looking not so inconsistent, eh?)) I'm in :love: with his skating! Hanyu for gold!

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Suddenly looking not so inconsistent, eh?)) I'm in :love: with his skating! Hanyu for gold!

He still, even after today, has yet to skate a completely clean LP. Even inconsistent Chan has skated about 5 in his career. That said this is definitely a step in the right direction and a big boost for him. Great to see.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
A big step but that 4S is still his nemesis. Hopefully he develops more consistency. I take the GPF scores with a grain of salt though, however his SP consistency is clearly there and as for the LP, he's developed grit for not letting a program go even if he makes an error on his 4S and/or 4T.