Why Trophee Eric Bompard is no longer | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Why Trophee Eric Bompard is no longer

tulosai

Record Breaker
If you truly think people in France are super nice, check out a few more places. Everything is relative. And once you see what truly nice means, you'll have a different opinion of France.
Generally, the attitude is laissez-faire. Sometime, they are not following through what I'm asking them to do. Sometime they are having too much attitude. I'd say most shouldn't be in customer service field. I can imagine why Eric Bompard is not getting his response. No one is following through. Ask them to do something that is in their job description and see how your mileage vary.

A sincere question: Did you attempt to speak any French?

To me Paresians are comparable with New Yorkers. They're busy and don't have a ton of time for your crap, but I have only very rarely (probably less than 5 times total) seen a Paresian be outright rude to someone who was speaking or trying to speak French, and I've probably observed literally hundreds of thousands of interactions if not more between Paresians and tourists.

Now if you expected them to fall at your feet (even if you were or were trying to speak French) no doubt you were disappointed, but why should they? The have lives. Again, very like the vibe in NYC in my own experience.

Also worth noting that, especially outside Paris but sometimes also inside it, a lot of French people don't speak good English. If they are looking at you like they don't know what you're saying, chances are they probably don't. That's not rude on their part, that's reality.

Last edited:

Giselle

Medalist
To me Paresians are comparable with New Yorkers. They're busy and don't have a ton of time for your crap, but I have only very rarely (probably less than 5 times total) seen a Paresian be outright rude to someone who was speaking or trying to speak French, and I've probably observed literally hundreds of thousands of interactions if not more between Paresians and tourists.

Your comparaison of Paris and New York is spot on IMO. I've lived in Paris and in France outside of Paris. I've also visited NYC 3 times so I've been a tourist there too.
No one has the time to make polite conversation with tourists in Paris, you have to go straight to the point. Because chances are they have a job to get to, don't want to miss their train/bus and make that 1+ hour public transport commute any longer. You're might be on holiday but they are not.

Anyway, back on topic. It's sad to see that Eric Bompard is no longer a figure skating sponsor. They are also no longer the title sponsor for a famous French sailing race "The Solitaire du Figaro" (they were sponsoring the event since 2011 IIRC). Maybe they are having a restructuration of their sponsorship department and rethinking their strategy. Eric Bompard is a fairly small company after all (around 300 employees).

I hope the "Trophee de France" finds another sponsor, I would hate to see it be cancelled. And the skaters seem to love coming to Paris for this GP, the roster is always great. It's also probably more convenient to fly to Paris than Asia for skaters who train in North America.

Lysambre

Final Flight
This is what am talking about. The attitude and the penchant for throwing stones while in glass house.

I've often been told that the things we dislike in others is exactly what we dislike in ourselves. So I'll just point that mirror right back at you. :2thumbs:

Last edited:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
A sincere question: Did you attempt to speak any French?

Now if you expected them to fall at your feet (even if you were or were trying to speak French) no doubt you were disappointed, but why should they? The have lives. Again, very like the vibe in NYC in my own experience.

Also worth noting that, especially outside Paris but sometimes also inside it, a lot of French people don't speak good English. If they are looking at you like they don't know what you're saying, chances are they probably don't. That's not rude on their part, that's reality.

I tried.
Yes, Paris and NY are the same. No one is saying NY is the place for customer service.