Will they make it to Turin? | Golden Skate

Will they make it to Turin?

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I know we've discussed injuries recently, particularly Tim's. I've got to wonder whether Tim or Plushy--Turin's most likeliest medalists--will even make it to Turin given their recent injuries! Do you think Plushy's knee will hold out for two more years? Will Tim recover enough to be in pre-injury form?

It's such a shame that injuries are claiming the sport's brightest stars.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
yes, and i'm not sure

Hi RG,

Yes, I think Evgeni will get surgery after World's and recover at home-no touring. I think he is as driven as Alexei and will hurt himself rather than give up his chance at Oly Gold. I hope he recovers fully as he is one of a kind talent.

I don't think we know what is happening to Tim. Boots? Mentally Blocked? Sick in some chronic way and not telling? I don't know what to think. I really hope he recovers, as I miss the old Tim.

It does seem like half of the eligibles are hurtin'!

euterpe

Medalist
The skaters I wonder about are the young Japanese girls doing 3/3s, 3As and quads.

Will they succumb (career-wise) to injury or puberty or both?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Irina -- probably not :(
Plushy -- Probably yes, will retire soon after
Timmy -- too soon to tell, but it doesn't look good
US Pairs -- who knows, and at this rate? who cares :laugh: SIGH we need help in that area pronto
Naomi & Peter -- I hope so

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
lang and tchernysheff

i think the comment he made to belbin and agosto was telling of whether they will make it as a team. he said he will come back to beat them on the article published by the usfsa after their win; however, the next day, the article was edited, taking out his comment. is he thinking of leaving naomi?

Smiley0884

Rinkside
Re: lang and tchernyshev

thisthingcalledlove said:
i think the comment he made to belbin and agosto was telling of whether they will make it as a team. he said he will come back to beat them on the article published by the usfsa after their win; however, the next day, the article was edited, taking out his comment. is he thinking of leaving naomi?

Someone on FSU spoke with Nikolai Morosov at 4CC, and he said as of now Lang/Tchernyshev will be competing next season, and that Naomi's ankle should be better in time for the GP. I have no clue why the USFSA would edit out what Peter said.

As for Tim, who knows, right now it's not looking good, but he's a fighter so I hope he can make it.

Plush will absolutely make it to 2006, I have no doubts about that, as long as his knee can hold up.

RealtorGal said:
I know we've discussed injuries recently, particularly Tim's. I've got to wonder whether Tim or Plushy--Turin's most likeliest medalists--will even make it to Turin given their recent injuries! Do you think Plushy's knee will hold out for two more years? Will Tim recover enough to be in pre-injury form?

It's such a shame that injuries are claiming the sport's brightest stars.

RGal - I can speak for myself on knee injuries. An earlier surgery I had on one knee was successful and after therapy, I could walk run, jog and even jump somewhat. What Plush's arthroscopic surgery may do is kill the spring in his jump. However, with all these new joint innovations, he may well avoid those earlier side effects. Let's hope so.

I haven't a clue on Tim's fate with body alignment. Whatever that is and if there is a procedure to correct it, we can only hope. I'd hate to see both of them miss Torino.

Joe

alicelouise

Rinkside
Turin?

euterpe said:
The skaters I wonder about are the young Japanese girls doing 3/3s, 3As and quads.

Will they succumb (career-wise) to injury or puberty or both?

The majority probably will succumb to injuries, burnout, etc. However, I think one will make it to be The Teenage Olympic Champ of 2006.

The US and Russia, during the 90s, had many teen phenoms(Slutskaya, the 3 Russian girls who swept Jr. worlds:rolleye: -anyone know where they are, Tara Lipinski, Sydne Vogel, Michelle Kwan, Nicole Bobek, etc.). Only one has won Olympic Gold, 2 others have won Olympic medals. The 3 Russian girls provide a cautionary tale. That being, nothing can be predicted in the world of sports with certainty.

pairsfan

On the Ice
Re: lang and tchernysheff

thisthingcalledlove said:

They probably edited it out because too many people were freaking out reading something into it that was never intended by Peter. LOL.

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Re: Turin?

alicelouise said:
The US and Russia, during the 90s, had many teen phenoms(Slutskaya, the 3 Russian girls who swept Jr. worlds:rolleye: -anyone know where they are, . The 3 Russian girls provide a cautionary tale. That being, nothing can be predicted in the world of sports with certainty.

Yelena Ivanova, Yelena Pingatcheva, and Nadezhyeda Kanaeva. Ivanova was very sloppy; she made Nelidina look graceful. That year ('96) they beat Fumie Suguri (4th) and Lipinski (5th)

In 1998, they swept again (Soldatova- 1st, Yelena Ivanova- 2nd, Viktoria Volchkova- 3rd). Soldatova and Volchkova we know are still around. Ivanova, we have no clue...

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Explanation on Tim

Does anyone else find the explanation about the strange body alignment problems a little weird? Coaches have become PR people when top talent is having difficulty in skating. I've never heard of boots (so many different ones) causing this situation in a skater.:confused:

I don't think they have much problem finding dishonest doctors to vouch for whatever. I understand their need for secrecy and to protect their skater.

I am amazed at how closed mouth these athletes can be. In the last several years, illness and injury has been used as an excuse for a bad performance, due perhaps to a variety of causes.

I like Tim a lot and respect his coach. I really hope he gets to Turin.

N@d&A

Rinkside
I really think that Plushy will make it in Turim but there are also a lot of young skaters who probably will make it too.

MIKI ANDO(JPN)
ANDREI GRIAZEV(RUS) my favorite
JOHNNY WEIR(USA)
SARAH MEIR(SUI)
STEPHAN LAMBIEL(SUI)
JESSICA DUBEE(CAN)
SERGEI SHILIAEV(BLR)

They are just a few, I particulary want
MICHELLE CANTU(MEX)

make it in Turim too, Mexican sk8ers like me are doing our best and I hope we can reach good places soon

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Does anyone else find the explanation about the strange body alignment problems a little weird? Coaches have become PR people when top talent is having difficulty in skating. I've never heard of boots (so many different ones) causing this situation in a skater.
I sort of agree with what you are saying.

Let's hope we don't get into another "I think Shingles was just an excuse; I think she really had Shingles" situation.

Illness and injury are dettrimental to performing at ones best. That is fact!

Whether it is legitimateky used as an excuse for poor performance is moot.

Unless you know posititvely that Tim has or has not poor body growth development, I believe we are not speaking factually.

Joe

Tove

On the Ice
we don't know 100% what the problem is, and we can keep speculating,but of course, there is some sort of problem/injury that is serious enough for him to skate so bad, and pull out of competition, if it was not, of course he would skate. the guy loves it, he's not pulling out excuses, I can't seriously believe that.

Thanks Jaana - Now if I can just take a crash course in Italian, I'll even be happieer. BTW, Elena and Anton look nice in the Home Page layout. That Italian Dance Couple look like they are out to win the gold. Luv it.

Joe