World Figure Skating Hall of Fame announced

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
PRESS RELEASE:

3 Olympic champions elected to World Figure Skating Hall of Fame

Class of 2018 represents each competitive discipline

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado, USA (April 17, 2018) – Olympic champions Shizuka Arakawa (Japan), Viktor Petrenko (Ukraine, Unified Team, Soviet Union), pairs team Elena Valova and Oleg Vasiliev (Soviet Union,) and two-time World champion ice dance team Irina Moiseeva and Andrei Minenkov (Soviet Union) lead the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame Class of 2018, nominating chair Lawrence Mondschein announced today. They are joined by coach Bin Yao (China) and choreographer Sandra Bezic (Canada).

“On behalf of the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame, we are astonished by the breadth of accomplishments by the Class of 2018, where all figure skating disciplines are represented,” Mondschein said. “This is also the largest class since the first year of elections to the World Hall of Fame in 1976.”

In 2006, Arakawa became the first Japanese figure skater to win an Olympic gold medal and was the only Japanese medalist in any sport at those Turin, Italy, Games. Arakawa is the 2004 World champion and a two-time Grand Prix Final medalist (2003 bronze, 2004 silver).

Petrenko competed for Ukraine, the Soviet Union and the Unified Team, earning the 1992 Olympic title for the Unified Team and the 1988 Olympic bronze medal for the Soviet Union. He was the first Ukrainian flag-bearer at an Olympic Games, earning the honor in 1992. Petrenko is a four-time World medalist, including earning the 1992 World title.

Valova and Vasiliev are the 1984 Olympic champions and 1988 Olympic silver medalists, who continued the Soviet Union (and later Russia’s) dominance in the pairs discipline dating back to 1964. They are six-time World medalists, winning the gold in 1983, ’85 and ’88.

Two-time World champions (1975, ’77) Moiseeva and Minenkov earned eight World medals. They were the first ice dancers to develop arm and upper-body expression, influencing the discipline for decades to come. The Soviet team earned two Olympic medals, the silver in 1976 and the bronze in 1980.

Olympian and coach, Yao was the driving force behind the Chinese pairs powerhouse program for more than 30 years. In the final decade of his career, he coached three teams — at the same time — to World and Olympic medals. His teams earned five Olympic medals (one gold), six World medals (four golds) and seven Grand Prix Final titles.

Bezic is best known as a competitive and show choreographer and television analyst. She choreographed competitive programs for Olympic champions Brian Boitano (1988), Kristi Yamaguchi (1992) and Tara Lipinski (1998 Olympic). Her choreography has earned three Gemini Awards (Canada), an Emmy Award (USA) and a Golden Rose Award (Switzerland).

The hall's Legends Committee, which considers contributions in 1960 and prior, selected three-time World champion (1966-68) Emmerich Danzer of Austria and the late American Richard Porter, the undisputed founder of synchronized skating, then known as Precision Skating.

Last edited:
^ He is, But Bin Yao is a super-legend. He put China on the figure skating map (along with Chen Lu) by creating the dominate Chinese pairs dynasty from scratch.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It's amazing that it took this long for both Bin Yao and Sandra Bezic to be elected, but I guess better (very very very) late than never!

:yay:

It's amazing that it took this long for both Bin Yao and Sandra Bezic to be elected, but I guess better (very very very) late than never!

:yay:

For athletes, they are not put up until five years after they retire, or something like that, I think. Maybe there is a similar rule for coaches and choreographers that says they can't be nominated while they are still working. (?)

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Boy - I am really aging myself - but I remember all these skaters.

I hadn't realized that Sandra Bezic had choreographed Tara Lipinkski's Olympic program. Learn something new every day :agree:

Also I am surprised that Moiseeva and Minenkov weren't already in the Hall Of Fame. I was just a kid but I tend to remember that they were always in the conversation, so to speak.

Also :love::love::love: for Shizuka Arakawa - love her and loved her Olympic Long Program - so I am very happy she has been elected.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
For athletes, they are not put up until five years after they retire, or something like that, I think. Maybe there is a similar rule for coaches and choreographers that says they can't be nominated while they are still working. (?)

To be honest, I'm surprised that it's as short as 5 years after they retire. I would have thought 10 years at the very least.

I know it's a different concept, but for the Blue Plaque scheme the person in question has to be dead for 20 years before a building connected with them becomes eligible for a plaque. Hence why John Curry's home only got a plaque last year.

There again, Casey Stoner got into the MotoGP Hall Of Fame immediately after he retired.

So, there doesn't seem to be any consistent mindset as to how long is the right time to wait.

For me, Arakawa is probably the right timing, but the others are definitely overdue.

How often do inductions get made to the Figure Skating Hall Of Fame? Could long intervals between inductions be the reason that some of these stars are only getting inducted now?

Regardless of everything I just said, congratulations to the new inductees. What an honour!

:bow: :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

CaroLiza_fan

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Also :love::love::love: for Shizuka Arakawa - love her and loved her Olympic Long Program - so I am very happy she has been elected.[/QUOTE]

To this day she’s still such a beautiful and elegant skater. I love her simplicity and the way she can draw you in with the way she floats across the ice, not to mention her trade mark Ina Bauer!

Dick Button said it best after her Olympic FS, ‘that’s a lady skating!’

Giselle

Medalist
Great for for Min and Mo, who are often forgotten and underrated :hap10: .

They pushed the (then very strict) rules of Ice dance by skating the first one-themed program.
They were also the first team where the man was not overshadowed by the female. They were truly equal partners.

To be honest, I'm surprised that it's as short as 5 years after they retire. I would have thought 10 years at the very least.

Looking at the list, I think maybe it is five years. Michelle Kwan retired in 2006 and was nominated for the Hall of Fame in 2011 and inducted in 2012. But after 5 years I think that a skater can be tapped at any time. Last year Trixie Schuba, Shen and Zhao and Alexei Yagudin were all inducted together.

There is also an old-timer's route, where they go back and honor pioneers of the sport that have been long forgotten. For instance, Phyllis Johnson of Great Britain, who won Olympic medals in pairs in 1908 and 1920 with two different partners.

How often do inductions get made to the Figure Skating Hall Of Fame?

I think that nominations are open every year (and fans can nominate someone, I believe). But sometimes (rarely) no one is actually selected from the list of nominees. For instance, no one was inducted in 2016.

Here is the complete list:

http://www.worldskatingmuseum.org/WorldHallOfFame.html

The list has quite a few peculiarities. For instance, Herma Szabo won the Olympic gold medal in 2024 and also won 7 world championships, 5 in singles and 2 in pairs. But she was inducted into the Hall of Fame only in 1982, more than 50 years after she retired from skating.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Looking at the list, I think maybe it is five years. Michelle Kwan retired in 2006 and was nominated for the Hall of Fame in 2011 and inducted in 2012. But after 5 years I think that a skater can be tapped at any time. Last year Trixie Schuba, Shen and Zhao and Alexei Yagudin were all inducted together.

There is also an old-timer's route, where they go back and honor pioneers of the sport that have been long forgotten. For instance, Phyllis Johnson of Great Britain, who won Olympic medals in pairs in 1908 and 1920 with two different partners.

I think that nominations are open every year (and fans can nominate someone, I believe). But sometimes (rarely) no one is actually selected from the list of nominees. For instance, no one was inducted in 2016.

Here is the complete list:

http://www.worldskatingmuseum.org/WorldHallOfFame.html

Thank you for the reply. And thank you for the link to the full list. It is fascinating seeing who all is on it (and who is not!)

It's interesting that Moskvina got inducted 12 years before Mishin. I take it this is confirmation they were inducted for their own coaching careers rather than for skating together. But, you still would have thought that Mishin would have got recognised a lot earlier than last year.

I actually looked at the nomination form a couple of months ago, because a skater that I am connected with on Facebook was actually asking for people to nominate her. Whilst I do think she deserves consideration, it was uncomfortable to see her begging like that.

I suppose it just goes to show that once you are out of the limelight, people forget about you.

The list has quite a few peculiarities. For instance, Herma Szabo won the Olympic gold medal in 2024 and also won 7 world championships, 5 in singles and 2 in pairs. But she was inducted into the Hall of Fame only in 1982, more than 50 years after she retired from skating.

You know, it's a pity that the sequence for the Olympics changed, because then I could have accused you of being some sort of soothsayer, telling us who is going to win the Olympic Gold in 2024! :p

But, seriously, it was not right taking that long to recognise somebody who won that many World Championship medals (not just the 7 golds, but a Pairs bronze and a Singles silver as well).

At least they did eventually recognise Szabo while she was still alive.

CaroLiza_fan

Enero

On the Ice
I’m so happy for Arakawa! It’s a well deserved honor.

Glad Sandra Bezic is being recognized too. She might not be the best commentator, but she did make many contributions to the sport. Her choreography for Kristi’s Malagueña program was wonderful. It is one of my Olympic favorites.