World Team Trophy: Teams and Entries | Page 7 | Golden Skate

World Team Trophy: Teams and Entries

Medusa

Record Breaker
Can't wait to see how China does with one Pairs team, and who are those Singles that will be there?
It's a joke to begin with that Italy isn't there instead of China. I think the people who thought of the qualification process must have had a bad day. What was the main goal, inspire federations to build up well-balanced skating programs? Well, Italy is doing just that, they bought two French guys, and consequently have a top contender in men and a half-decent pair team.

On FSU there is a post that Lutai is out and Menshov is in.
(short note: Menshov is the guy who was 25th after the short program at Universiade and came back to win the long program with two clean Quads)

Andalusia

Final Flight
Question: Do all the ladies (and men) get to skate both a SP and LP? Or do only the top SP finishers advance to the LP?

The reason I ask is because I remember last year, during the Japan Open (which I believe this competition is based on), Caroline only skated her SP and Mirai her LP.

Thanks in advance. :)

LeCygne

Final Flight
Caroline definitely did go, she skated Spanish Gypsy for the first time there. That competition was the Japan vs. USA International Countermatch or something like that. Maybe Japan Open is different? But for this, I'm not sure but I rather think skaters would skate both programs, as this does seem more like a real competition than a cheesefest.

Andalusia

Final Flight
^^ Weren't Mirai and Kimmie the ones that went to the Japan open last year?

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought the Japan Open was the competition that featured this performance from Caroline:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJIj8jn1eRc

I'm positive that Caroline only skated her SP here, and Mirai only her LP. I'm pretty sure Kimmie wasn't at this event.

OT, I know you're usually not so into the ladies, Medusa, but that new Miki banner of yours is gorgeous! :rock:

Okami

On the Ice
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought the Japan Open was the competition that featured this performance from Caroline:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJIj8jn1eRc

This program was performed at Japan vs USA Countermatch that took place at the beginning of the 07-08 season (early October). Japan Open used to take place at the end of the season, a few weeks after Worlds. (This year it's been moved to 3rd October because of the WTC). At Campbells and Countermatch some skaters skated their SPs and some their LPs. At Japan Open all skaters skated their free programs.

I have no idea which programs are the skaters going to skate at WTC. The Japanese skaterboys and Miki were talking about including quads, though, so I assume they are doing their LPs..? I have an inkling that there will be no SPs/CDs/ODs, but I might be wrong.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I have an inkling that there will be no SPs/CDs/ODs, but I might be wrong.
Someone posted the planned schedule over on FSUniverse, and apparently it's a GPF type setup, no CDs but otherwise everything's included.

Okami

On the Ice
Someone posted the planned schedule over on FSUniverse, and apparently it's a GPF type setup, no CDs but otherwise everything's included.

Thanks for the info!

On the one hand - nice to see the programs again. On the other hand, I'm a bit worried about the skaters stamina. As someone mentioned previously in this thread, the competetive skaters were rarely anywhere close to their top form at Japan Open (and back then they only had to skate one program). I just hope that there will be no splatfests! :bow:

gold12345

Medalist
^^ Weren't Mirai and Kimmie the ones that went to the Japan open last year?

I thought so. I know they were at some event in Japan together. I remember thinking Kimmie looked better there than she did at Worlds a few weeks prior.

moonfs

Rinkside
The schedule (Japan time) is as follows:

Thursday, 16 April
15:00 Opening Ceremony
15:45 Ice Dance - Original
16:50 Men - Short
18:40 Ladies - Short

Friday, 17 April
15:30 Pairs - Short
16:40 Ice Dance - Free
18:00 Men - Free

Saturday, 18 April
14:00 Pairs - Free
15:20 Ladies - Free
17:20 Award Ceremony

Sunday, 19 April
14:00 Gala
(Stephane Lambiel, Laura Lepisto, Sinead Kerr/John Kerr, Aliona Savchenko/Robin Szolkowy are invited)

Japan Open will be held on 3 October.
http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/japanopen2009/

Last edited:

Andalusia

Final Flight
This program was performed at Japan vs USA Countermatch that took place at the beginning of the 07-08 season (early October). Japan Open used to take place at the end of the season, a few weeks after Worlds. (This year it's been moved to 3rd October because of the WTC). At Campbells and Countermatch some skaters skated their SPs and some their LPs. At Japan Open all skaters skated their free programs.

I have no idea which programs are the skaters going to skate at WTC. The Japanese skaterboys and Miki were talking about including quads, though, so I assume they are doing their LPs..? I have an inkling that there will be no SPs/CDs/ODs, but I might be wrong.

Thanks for the clarification, Okami. :)

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I feel the same way about the Olympics. The big thing in the Olympic games is which country's team wins the most medals. Well...OK.

I have a feeling Rachael and Caroline won't feel like they're in a bobsled. It's true that their fortunes are linked monetarily for this event. But when the show season starts, both of them will want the designation of de facto top American lady to drive up their asking price.

I feel the same way about the Olympics. The big thing in the Olympic games is which country's team wins the most medals. Well...OK.
What makes the Team in the Olys, is the #^*+% media. It's nice to have Amricans win international sports, but so is it nice for more deserving competitors. Go Bode Miller.

I have a feeling Rachael and Caroline won't feel like they're in a bobsled. It's true that their fortunes are linked monetarily for this event. But when the show season starts, both of them will want the designation of de facto top American lady to drive up their asking price.

And even in a bobsled one guy is in front steering the sled. :laugh:

I think it was Dorothy Hamill who famously said, at Innsbruck there were only two options. Win gold and go on to fame and fortune with the Ice Capades (which she later bought), or win silver and go back to Chicago and resune her career as a secretary.

Albertina Noyes won the silver medal at the U.S. championships four times in the 1960s and was part of the U.S. Olympic team in 1968, after which she left the sport to become a housewife in Boston. She later said of her skating career, "Well, somebody had to be runner-up to Peggy Fleming. It might as well be me."

Go Bode Miller.

:laugh: After the last Olympics I wrote a letter to the USOC telling them that I would not be sending them any further contributions to pay for Bode Miller's booze and partying (...so I sent it to Michael Phelps' support fund instead. ;) )

Last edited:

beep_beep

Medalist
After the last Olympics I wrote a letter to the USOC telling them that I would not be sending them any further contributions to pay for Bode Miller's booze and partying (...so I sent it to Michael Phelps' support fund instead. ;) )

Talk about money well spent :laugh:

fairly4

Medalist
in regard to michael phelps, supporting,
no only pot but also all of the products his face is on . like subway, etc.
that is another reason--food prices and other products are high due to sponsorship of atheles, movies stars and pro's. the head honchos and marketing department don't pay for the cost.
normal people do.

in regard to michael phelps, supporting,
no only pot but also all of the products his face is on . like subway, etc.
that is another reason--food prices and other products are high due to sponsorship of atheles, movies stars and pro's. the head honchos and marketing department don't pay for the cost.
normal people do.
:laugh: no wonder Bode is downing those beers.