Would Michelle Kwan have won if she skated 2010 Nationals | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Would Michelle Kwan have won if she skated 2010 Nationals

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I just can't wait for US nationals 2018 and i predict someone will still start a thread "if Michelle Kwan had competed would she have won".

bite. your. tongue.

that happens and I'm coming for you, ant... :laugh:

antmanb

Record Breaker
bite. your. tongue.

that happens and I'm coming for you, ant... :laugh:

:rofl:

Don't worry it won't be me! You should have seen then "if we dug up sonja henie and gave her bionic limbs, ignored the fact she'd be a zombie and....." thread i was tempted to start :laugh:

Ant

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
:rofl:

Don't worry it won't be me! You should have seen then "if we dug up sonja henie and gave her bionic limbs, ignored the fact she'd be a zombie and....." thread i was tempted to start :laugh:

Ant

*holds head* I feel a massive migrane coming on... *glares at ant*

I just can't wait for US nationals 2018 and i predict someone will still start a thread "if Michelle Kwan had competed would she have won".

OK, she missed this one, but in 2018 Michelle will be going for her sixteenth U.S. title, having won in 2011, 2112, 2113, 2114, 2115, and 2117.

In 2116 she competed in the men's division and lost to 16-year-old Nathan Chen. :biggrin:

fairly4

Medalist
i am not going to say yes and i am not going to say no--
it depends on how she skated--would have she been ready for it.
after the long lay off would have her jumps been clean--at ice stars on friday the short program jumps (of which she did was okay--not great) but on sunday the jumps were sloppy. so i don't know. yes-i know she would have practice to be ready-but at the same time she would have had to go to sectionals/regionals to get to nationals --so she might have been more ready . would she have won it would have depended on scores she got at those events and whether those judges thought she would be ready for nationals.
would have they dinged her--oh yes--they would have naild michelle for every little mistake unlike some others.
but won--maybe-i don't know. the younger ones skated pretty good.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
OK, she missed this one, but in 2018 Michelle will be going for her sixteenth U.S. title, having won in 2011, 2112, 2113, 2114, 2115, and 2117.

In 2116 she competed in the men's division and lost to 16-year-old Nathan Chen. :biggrin:

Hwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I wanted to say something similar. For how long MK fans will keep bringing her back into the discussion about active athletes.
She has ended competitive skating basically 5 years ago (Turin attempt doesn't count), and she has MOVED ON with her life.
She is almost 30 years old, and people have other things to do in life, than to torcher their bodies, with triple jumps on the ice.

FOREVERRRRR.

Just kiddin.

Maybe.

Wicked

Final Flight
Eventually people will stop bringing up "Could Michelle have won competition X" because too many years have passed and too many other skaters have come and gone (and by that time she'll probably be president anyway!). And it'll be a bit sad when they stop. I love to watch videos of retired skaters, but it's always bittersweet. I think people bring up retired skaters competing to put off that bittersweetness as long as they can. I think it's easier for the skaters to accept their retirements than it is for their fans!

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
:rolleye:

I'm as big a Kwan fan as the next person (except possibly if the next person is KW:laugh:) but with a double axel and a triple toe she'd have been lucky to get out of regionals and sectionals let lone win nationals. In 2006 she was too injured by ramping up the training for the Olympics, why anyone thinks her body would withstand that pounding now with another four years away from the ice is truly beyond me.

Ant

Har Har Har...:laugh::laugh:

I wanted to say something similar. For how long MK fans will keep bringing her back into the discussion about active athletes.
She has ended competitive skating basically 5 years ago (Turin attempt doesn't count), and she has MOVED ON with her life.
She is almost 30 years old, and people have other things to do in life, than to torcher their bodies, with triple jumps on the ice.

Ok. I resisted as long as I could... I believe fans will stop bringing up Kwan when the next generation of skaters captures their imagination in the same way... If you at past legends, they become icons of the sport vs. "ohh! if insert skater here, they'd win!"

Bots aside, I just think its taking longer than most of us anticipated for the next crop of greats.

I agree, let MK rest in peace in her retirement. We can enjoy her shows and go on with our lives

One Rests In Peace when dead... and Kwan doesn't do shows espcially if she's dead.

Eventually people will stop bringing up "Could Michelle have won competition X" because too many years have passed and too many other skaters have come and gone (and by that time she'll probably be president anyway!). And it'll be a bit sad when they stop. I love to watch videos of retired skaters, but it's always bittersweet. I think people bring up retired skaters competing to put off that bittersweetness as long as they can. I think it's easier for the skaters to accept their retirements than it is for their fans!

Why does this attitude persist among posters here that ubers can't deal with Kwan's retirement? I'm glad MK is creating such a strong encore for her life. I cannot wait for the day when you read an article on Kwan and in the postscript it reads: Kwan first drew attention as the most decorated US skater in history. Not the headline.

As to whether she'd win based on Korean skate: Fans didn't care where she placed, we loved to watch her skate. But we also wanted a chance to say goodbye to the cute little kid we watched grow up. That's natural.

What isn't natural is the on-going snarkiness by non-fans whenever Kwan's name comes up... Why is it ok to continue to swoon about other skaters but not Kwan and Irina? Riddle me that...

Since we're talking about the Divas, I have something to add about Sasha.
God bless Sasha for her comeback return. She did her best and I'm glad her fans got to see her compete once again. And she still placed fourth. What would she'd pulled off had she been healthy in the fall? Its fun to speculate and it might even be fun to snark, but why? I applaud skaters who have that level of passion for the sport and continue to work, despite the naysayers.

:bow::bow: ALL HAIL THE KWEEN!!! KEEPER OF THE LIGHT!!!:bow::bow:

I agree, KW. I just want to see her skate again, though I'm thrilled that she's doing something now that might even cast her skating into the shade.

I am happy with both of the different ways that Kwan and Cohen chose to deal with this year's Nationals. Kwan decided not to pursue the competion and Cohen opted to go for it. They each did what they felt most comfortable with: Kwan turned away and entered grad school, and Cohen stepped up and put herself out there. Both ladies carried it off with class and distinction.

I wish Kwan had time to skate more. Maybe if there were more of the old pro competitions that gave us so much delightful time with the likes of Browning, Wylie, and Yamaguchi, she'd have tried her hand at a few of them. They weren't cheesefests. Remember that fabulous Browning routine to "Summertime," choreographed by Alexander Zhulin? Or Paul Wylie's "Apollo 13" piece? There was a lot of innovative choreography in those competitions. I enjoy speculating about what Kwan would do in such a forum. But whether she would have won in the 2010 Nationals? Not a scenario I think about.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
would have they dinged her--oh yes--they would have naild michelle for every little mistake unlike some others.

right because MK was *NEVER* held up at US nationals and she was ALWAYS underscored.

please. :sheesh:

What isn't natural is the on-going snarkiness by non-fans whenever Kwan's name comes up...

swooning is one thing... but I'm not posting a thread about "what if Scott Hamilton/Kurt Browning skated at nationals today where would they place"... their time is passed.

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
right because MK was *NEVER* held up at US nationals and she was ALWAYS underscored.

swooning is one thing... but I'm not posting a thread about "what if Scott Hamilton/Kurt Browning skated at nationals today where would they place"... their time is passed.

:laugh::laugh: You crack me up.

I hope that you are proud of me Toni, I have stayed out of this thread until now. :)Now if the thread topic was "Lets compare Rachael's consistency at Nationals with Michelle's consistency at Nationals at the same age", I would have been posting away. Seriously though mental toughness is so important in competition and in that respect Rachael reminds me so much of Michelle.

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker

I disagree with one piece of this... when was Michelle held up at Nationals? I can't remember time when she was underscored. Overscoring is a different issue because a lot of those 6.0s were emotional scores given at the "House That Michelle Built"

antmanb

Record Breaker
I disagree with one piece of this... when was Michelle held up at Nationals? I can't remember time when she was underscored. Overscoring is a different issue because a lot of those 6.0s were emotional scores given at the "House That Michelle Built"

I suspect (and Toni will certainly correct me if i'm wrong :p) that most of the allegations of being "held up" are in relation to some of her SP placements (i can't remember specific years but think there are two at nationals that people mention) but i don't think it ever matters because regardless of being one placement lower, the LP would always have given her the win.

I think there might be one nationals where there is a grousy argument by haterz, where if the entire final group's placements were jiggled around in both the SP and LP, and if there was a strong gust of wind and you squint a bit during Michelle's LP, someone else would have won. But that's about it :laugh:

Ant

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
I suspect (and Toni will certainly correct me if i'm wrong :p) that most of the allegations of being "held up" are in relation to some of her SP placements (i can't remember specific years but think there are two at nationals that people mention) but i don't think it ever matters because regardless of being one placement lower, the LP would always have given her the win.

I think there might be one nationals where there is a grousy argument by haterz, where if the entire final group's placements were jiggled around in both the SP and LP, and if there was a strong gust of wind and you squint a bit during Michelle's LP, someone else would have won. But that's about it :laugh:

Ant

I remember that Nationals... The bar was open and the arena offered free martinis to all the non-Kwan fans in the building...;)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:rolleye:why anyone thinks her body would withstand that pounding now with another four years away from the ice is truly beyond me.
Ant
Ant, your above statement is so true. I think we continue to bring up Michelle & Sasha because we don't have anyone yet that is taking thier place, the star quality. It's just like Russia who doesn't have any male figure skating stars like Yagudin & Plushenko or upcoming hopefuls.