Xiaoyu Yu & Yang Jin | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Xiaoyu Yu & Yang Jin

yyyskate

Record Breaker
As someone who has studied Japanese for many years, Yu's ability to speak Japanese is very impressive, especially if it comes from reading manga :laugh: I guess it also helps that Kanji characters in Japanese share similar meanings in Chinese. I'm glad they got an interview for NHK though!

I watched xiaoyu Yu's Japanese interview as well. so impressive, to memorize some words from manga is one thing, to speak it is another thing, but to communicate it and also work as a translator (for fellow chinese skaters) and in front of that huge of a crowd and on TV and appeared so calm and composed is totally another world. I bet I will stutter in that situation even in my mother tongue.

EDIT: also it is good that most Japanese skaters' name is written in Kanji on Japanese TV. so I can easily read them and memorize their names quickly, on the other hand always has a very hard time to memorize Korean skaters' name, cos their names is either written in Korean or romantized which I cannot make any sense out of it:biggrin:

Last edited:

Jombi

On the Ice
I've just watched their FP for the 37434753475646th time! I adore them :luv17: My renew interest in pairs competition is entirely due to them!

ahkeekee

Medalist
I've just watched their FP for the 37434753475646th time! I adore them :luv17: My renew interest in pairs competition is entirely due to them!
Actually they're the only pair I really liked after pang and tong retired, they have potential, they just need a new program, perhaps more consistency!

Meoima

Match Penalty
I love this team, they have great chemistry, I think they can do big at Olympic 2022. I they continue to improve, then 2018 is possible but I think it's still a bit too soon. However who knows... What if it's faster...

ahkeekee

Medalist
I love this team, they have great chemistry, I think they can do big at Olympic 2022. I they continue to improve, then 2018 is possible but I think it's still a bit too soon. However who knows... What if it's faster...
I do think they need more time coz the judges seems to not agree with us yet, maybe they still need to have more consistency, a little more speed on ice?
I also see that they have great potentials to do great! I just hope that both of them would stay healthy as they try throw quads and sbs jumps that are more difficult!
their sbs jumps are almost always so amazing! I think gpf this year was the only time Yu singles her double axel ever since they competed in seniors (can anyone confirm?)

Last edited:

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I do think they need more time coz the judges seems to not agree with us yet, maybe they still need to have more consistency, a little more speed on ice?
I also see that they have great potentials to do great! I just hope that both of them would stay healthy as they try throw quads and sbs jumps that are more difficult!
their sbs jumps are almost always so amazing! I think gpf this year was the only time Yu singles her double axel ever since they competed in seniors (can anyone confirm?)

I can't confirm, but I believe that this is the first time. I remember Yu/Jin being amazingly consistent with their SBS jumps and throws last season, even if the landings were a bit shaky. I hope they can reach that level again this season, as the judges may have them lower in the rankings due to them reusing their programs.

ginsengtea

Rinkside
I can't confirm, but I believe that this is the first time. I remember Yu/Jin being amazingly consistent with their SBS jumps and throws last season, even if the landings were a bit shaky. I hope they can reach that level again this season, as the judges may have them lower in the rankings due to them reusing their programs.
She doubled her first axel at NHK, but that was pretty much the first time I've seen her pop anything in literally years. I don't know if they should keep on trying out the throw quad. Maybe just doing clean, well-executed programs will be enough to make their PCS grow, because they sure aren't getting any love from the judges. They definitely deserve more. I don't know if we'll ever see that program clean this season, which makes me sad because it's beautiful.

I hope that during all this quad training they'll find the time to improve their SS. Against the top teams what they really need is more speed and power, they're not quite there yet. Jin Yang seemed very aware of this in that interview. The other Chinese teams would benefit from this as well, and I think they'd place even better internationally if they'd make strides in that area.

Last edited:

ginsengtea

Rinkside
Why are they competing in junior pairs? :scratch:
I heard that it's because that way the Chinese skating federation would be able to offer Urumqi (the host city) a very certain gold medal (Y/J were entered as the only pair representing Urumqi). It might be a respect thing? This is just hearsay though, might not be true at all.

Last edited:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Nice showing for y/j. They need to skate faster for higher pcs, but they know that better than anyone else so I expect to see them noticeably improve in time.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I heard that it's because that way the Chinese skating federation would be able to offer Urumqi (the host city) a very certain gold medal (Y/J were entered as the only pair representing Urumqi). It might be a respect thing? This is just hearsay though, might not be true at all.
Well actually I think this reason is quite logic.

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Hi everyone. I love yu/jin a lot but I haven't kept up with the thread in a while so I don't know what's going on, but are they guaranteed a spot on the world's team? Did Hao Zhang and his partner really break up? Thanks in advance.