Your favourite and less favourite spins? | Golden Skate

Your favourite and less favourite spins?

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
What are you favourite spins? Which do you dislike or find overrated / overused? :)

I remember people being enraptured by Lipnitskaya's spins especially that ''Needle Spin'' with Biellmann entry inro one with split backward but I dislike that spin. For me it's very uncomfortable to look at, too much contortionism :slink: I am much more impressed by strong sit spin especially with great flexibility - like when you lay your torso on your leg (like Yuzuru), I think such spins take insane leg strength and balance. Try to sit on one leg and don't fall :biggrin:

My favourite positions are: Donut spin, scratch spin (especially from Ruh, Takahashi or Lambiel!), flying camel spin, simple layback spin (rarity now in competition), combination spins with last upright position, spins with change of edge.

I also enjoy that last position from Alaine Chartrand when she catches her blade with one hand above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNb7JQuYLZQ

I am tired by plethora of Biellmann spins in ladies field. Even the best ones are just ''ok'' for me, the bad ones make me cringe. I know people hate so-called butt spins - aka A spins but I don't mind them from time to time. I dislike illusion spins too.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think it depends who is doing it, too. The one I'm missing at the moment is Brooklee's accelerating layback. But maybe she wasn't getting the payoff for it. Andrew still does his accelerating sit spin. :love:

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I hate the A spin no matter who does it. It looks awful everytime.

I love scratch spins, and some of the camel variations are awesome.

Nathan13

Medalist
Personally, I love Timothy Dolensky's entry into I think his camel spin in his Awake My Soul SP.

blackey

On the Ice
usually depends on who does it. but half biellmann is definitely my least favorite no matter what..

JuliaHols

On the Ice
I love Lipnitskaia's layback spin. Her position is just gorgeous. And I usually like the donut variation of the camel spin, especially Roman Sadovsky's. His flexibility is amazing although I don't really like the upright variation. They just don't look very pleasing. Yuzuru's sit spin is beautiful! I especially loved it when he did the arm movements with the music in his Chopin short last season :)

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Favorites - Robin Cousins sit spin and camel spins, Toller Cranston broken leg and camel spin, Paul Wylie scratch spin, Stephane Lambiels sitspins, Victor Petrenko upright spin with arm reaching up. Josee Chouinard camel variations, Nancy Kerrigan dropped limbs camel and sideways looking camel, outside edge camel spins.

Dislike - butt spins, crooked backs in sitspins, headless spins, y spins(hydrant spins)

breadstal

Record Breaker
My favorite ones are layback spin (not extreme ones), Biellmann, Pearl spin, I spin, flying camel spin and ultimate one is obviously Yuna camel :love: I mainly dislike over-flexible spins lol My less favorite ones would be haircutter, catch foot spins (ugh), A-spins, Y-spins. I love and hate scratch spins :laugh:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Not a big fan of pair or dance spins, we actually had a discussion about this at Oberstdorf. I dislike them, as they often interrupt the flow of the programs. My favorite spin is the layback, especially attitude and catch foot technique.

noskates

Record Breaker
I loathe the Bielmann.....no matter who does it. I think it's the most awkward, ungraceful, yucky spin out there. The other one that's awful is where the skater bends over and grabs an ankle and their butt is up in the air. Not flattering for anybody.

I do like the catch-foot spin, especially the way Jason Brown and Michelle Kwan did it. I love laybacks when they're done well, and a good camel spin with tight rotation and the leg in a good position is always beautiful. I think it's especially pleasing when a male figure skater has good spins - think Stephane Lambiel, Todd Eldredge, Scott Davis, Jason Brown. Their positions were and are always beautiful and their spins were and are tight and fast.

pETEs (Sasha Fan)

Match Penalty
Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
my favourite spins would be all spins well/intricately incorporated with music (Shoma, Yuzuru, Lambiel, Takahashi, Czisny, Jason, Satoko, Nagasu to name a few), regardless of positions to be honest.

aside of above - I have simply a weakness for Lucinda Ruh, Alissa Czisny, Sasha Cohen and Satoko Miyahara spins in general, they are/were all so exquiste and a 'pleasure to watch' spinners :love:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Not a big fan of pair or dance spins, we actually had a discussion about this at Oberstdorf. I dislike them, as they often interrupt the flow of the programs. My favorite spin is the layback, especially attitude and catch foot technique.

for me, a striking example of a good dance spin this season, not ruining the flow of the program, but on contrary - highlighting the music, is Maia and Alex Shibutani's spin at the beginning o their FD. But agree in general, as dance spin is a tricky element to incrporate it seamlessly

jimini

On the Ice
My favorites are flying back camels! And I really love donut spins when done well, e.g. the free leg is NOT dropped to get into position AND there is good extension through the hip.

Least favorite spins are probably sit spins. I hated them when I was a skater so when I see them I think about how much I hated doing them. They are also rarely aesthetically pleasing to me. Lucinda Ruh's cannonball is probably the only one I like.

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
I adore Yuna's bent-leg layover camel spin! It's absolutely gorgeous :love:.

And I don't like a-spins and Biellmann spins. They rarely look good imo.