Your favourite and less favourite spins? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Your favourite and less favourite spins?

Amei

Record Breaker
Spins being good depends a lot on who is doing them, one of my favorite spinners is Sasha Cohen especially her layback spin - no one comes close to her with the excellent way that she utilized her hands during that spin.

Spins that I feel are hideous no matter who is doing them: The A-Spin (affectionately referred to as the butt spin) and Alaine Chartrand does a variation of a sit spin where her extended leg/torso are sideways where it kinda looks like a dog trying to pee. Also there is the sit-spin variation where the skater is crouched into a ball -- I do yoga I know it's actually difficult squatted down and balancing on 1 leg, however it's the least interesting in terms of position and it especially looks bad when it is done in the same arena of some spins with a lot of interesting positions.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I looooove spins, my favorite element. I love men who can spin. If they do it well -- Deniss, Tim D., and of course, Jason, -- I can watch spins all day.:love:

And of course, *why* are the men doing these spins? Why do we have a broken leg sit spin? *Who* raised it to an art form in men's skating?

Can we say "Toller"?

Spins that should be banned::dev2:

Butt spins, Bielmanns, and yanking the ankle right up next to head. Ugly. :disapp: When I am queen of the world, just doing them will get negative GOE.:tantrum:

gourry

Final Flight
My favorite Sasha's spin is this. I guess it's layback position? I think there was another program where she did this longer but I don't remember which one it was. I wish she did more of this.

I also really like Yuna's camel-Yuna-donut variation. So pretty and ethereal.

One of my least favorite spin position is the sit spin(or upright spin?) where Hayun put his leg over his head as if he's doing yoga. Simply.... No. Please don't.....

Last edited:

AppleEmperor

On the Ice
I like laybacks, flying camels, and donut spins when they're done right.
I don't hate biellmann's, I mean I think they're pretty :confused2:

I'm kinda weird about sit spins. I don't really like it when people keep a straight back if they're forced to be upright for it. I'd much prefer they bend their back and be as close to the extended leg as possible.
Oh and I don't like illusion spins in general.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I love spins of every kind. However, my favorite spin belongs to my favorite skater of all time, Maria Butyrskaya. The first Russian Ladies World Champion and the only skater to have kissed me on the cheeck. A moment I will never forget. Maria Butyrskaya's back scratch spin with her hands clasped behind her back. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5L-Fea_oGY

Last edited:

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I love a good Biellmann done right without too much over extension just to show off flexibility - Mao, Mirai and Elena stand out.

My least favourite spin ever is Alaine's "cocked dog leg" spin. So much nope. And I like Alaine...

viennaskater

Medalist
Anyone remember Viktor Pfeifer's special spin? No one else did it - it looked almost like he was dislocating his shoulder in such a position, but it was VERY impressive!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Anyone remember Viktor Pfeifer's special spin? No one else did it - it looked almost like he was dislocating his shoulder in such a position, but it was VERY impressive!

oh, yes, thanks for reminding about Viktor, he had some unique positions, executed very well!

Also thanks for other users to mention Deniss - he's got some great spins, but now under Lambiel he will blossom even more!

And how could I forget about Mao? Her Bielmann and I-spin are still everything:love:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I like laybacks, flying camels, and donut spins when they're done right.
I don't hate biellmann's, I mean I think they're pretty :confused2:

I'm kinda weird about sit spins. I don't really like it when people keep a straight back if they're forced to be upright for it. I'd much prefer they bend their back and be as close to the extended leg as possible.
Oh and I don't like illusion spins in general.

Not a fan of illusion spins either. Especially when free leg is bent and skater travels a lot like Mariah Bell, just looks so sloppy.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Not a fan of illusion spins either. Especially when free leg is bent and skater travels a lot like Mariah Bell, just looks so sloppy.

i never liked illusion spins either.. but this season i found someone who can do it very well...
https://youtu.be/axBhQnhuPb4?t=2m39s
very impressive with her long limbs... puts Caro and Anna to shame

last season her spins were meh, but they have improved so much... also this one, so pleasant :luv17::
https://youtu.be/axBhQnhuPb4?t=1m8s

the only position that's not great is the Biellmann, i think she should just lose it from her programs.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Spin that Jason Brown does but I don't know what it is... A variation of sit spin perhaps?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd7yqXZe96s

This junior skate has the the best view of it that I could find but I know he has done it in senior programs too.... Begins at 4:33....

I prefer spins to jumps in a program unless the jumps are well placed with music... And I like all spins if they are well executed and flow with music..

keasus

On the Ice
Peggy Fleming and Janet Lyn had the most exquisite layback spins. In addition to the much hated butt/A/dog taking a leak on a hydrant spin, I really dislike the spin that some women do where they pull their leg up at full extension and then drop it like a bag of trash when they are finished.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i like the really simply extended, pointed toe classic camel spin for men.... I dislike most variation on that same spin.... especially donut.

I don't think appreciate grabbing the blades for men...sure Jason Brown and MCM do it well, so I forgive them :) but it's not my cup of tea... the others who do it, ugh

I dislike any Biellman that slows down and is awkward looking... if you cannot fully extend, do not do it.

Layback spins are probably my second best favourite after camels.

I don't mind the butt spin by guys who have a nice butt... MUAHAHA :dev2:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Josh Farris' camel spin where he switches the arm position - he did in 2015. Now that he's coming back, hope to see him do it again.

Mirai's layback into the Biellmann is beautiful.

I'm also partial to Nathan's scratch spin that he does at the end of his EX.

Lambari

Final Flight
For a simple yet well centered spin somehow I love Patrick's camel spin, even though it isn't my favourite spin position.

Xiangnin Li's aka Princess Mononoke camel at this 4CC was great, even though Fuji TV won't let me post the video.

Love sit spins with arm variations that accentuates or express changes in the music.

Hate A-spins aka butt spins but that's a given. Also, haircutters.

Impartial to Biellmans, but love when it's a pearl spin morphed into a Biellman like Zhang's.

Lightning fast scratch spins at the last seconds of a program are the best final touch.

Ice dance/pairs spins are a hit or miss.

Anything Sasha Cohen but that's also a given.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Spin that Jason Brown does but I don't know what it is... A variation of sit spin perhaps?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd7yqXZe96s

This junior skate has the the best view of it that I could find but I know he has done it in senior programs too.... Begins at 4:33....

I prefer spins to jumps in a program unless the jumps are well placed with music... And I like all spins if they are well executed and flow with music..

Yes this is specific variation of sit spin, remarkable hands position in that too. Elena Radionova does the same sit spin in her SP this season I think. I like how it looks.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Yes this is specific variation of sit spin, remarkable hands position in that too. Elena Radionova does the same sit spin in her SP this season I think. I like how it looks.

:thank: appreciate you checking it.. I think he does this same spin - or its variation at the end of his current FS but could not find a video with a decent view of it. Now I want to Elena's spin too! :cool14: