Yuko Kavaguti & Alexander Smirnov - ret. after 2016/17 | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Yuko Kavaguti & Alexander Smirnov - ret. after 2016/17

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
I hoped for their total domination in this GPF, but third is okay with me. :agree:If they are happy with it, then I'm happy too! :dance3:

stomp stomp :ddevil:

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Congrats to the bronze, Yuko and Alexander! I wonder if they would have beaten D/R even without those two falls, but I liked their LP the best. What emotion and speed. :luv17: That program is a gem.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
An interview with Yuko/Sasha after the FS at the GPF http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/23243.html

Yuko Kawaguchi and Alexander Smirnov: The program winning the choreographic side over the technical elements
12.12.2015 00:13:01 | Figure skating | The Grand Prix finals 2015/16.

December 11 in Barcelona (Spain) continues the Grand Prix finals of Figure Skating. Bronze medals in pairs skating were won by Russian Yuko Kawaguchi and Alexander Smirnov, who received 132.95 points for the long program, with a total score of 206.59 from 2-day competitions. The special correspondent of the portal TEAM RUSSIA-2014 Boris Jodorowsky asks Yuko Kawaguchi and Alexander Smirnov for comments after the performance.

- We see the positive side of our FS, - said Alexander Smirnov. - It's great that Yuko could still land the quad salchow throw after falling twice in jumps, but the second quad throw could only be replaced by the triple.

- You are making such decision in the performing process of the program?
Alexander Smirnov: Of course. We have four options. When I looked at the state of my partner, I gave the command. We often perform quad salchow throw in trainings, and it turns out good. Today it turned out not bad, either, but still far from ideal. In trainings Yuko can manage a better landing . After the two falls it was not easy for Yuko, but it was still well done, and I did not give up.

- You can say that to some extent the good program component scores compensated for the technical mistakes in the skate?
Alexander Smirnov: There is nothing else we could do. Getting 9.36 for choreography is really good. The artistic side of the program has won over the technical elements today. Although we were ready to start this very well, it is not the first time we fell and it is also not the first time we will rise.

- What did you say to each other the first time in the area of K and C?
Yuko Kawaguchi: Sasha said, "Do not cry." I myself do not like crying.

Despite Yuko's 2 falls at the very beginning of their FS, Sasha remained as firm as a rock throughout the routine, which really deserves our high respect! :rock: Best of luck to them at the Nationals! :cheer2:

My understanding on some lines may not be correct. :laugh: Just enjoy reading it!

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
from Snow's onsite report:luv17:

Kavaguti/Smirnov have a magnetic theatric FP, which was not clean, but still the effect on the audience is very strong. It was a standing ovation, despite all the falls.

:love:

LRK

Record Breaker
Good luck to Yuko & Sasha! Please do well - I need you to be at Euros/Worlds!

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
I see Yuko & Sasha made second - by a hair! :jaw: Wow that was close!

But I'm so relieved - and congratulations on their silver!

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
A post-Nationals interview with Yuko/Sasha http://fsrussia.ru/intervyu/1688-yu...va-chistykh-prokata-s-dvumya-chetvernymi.html

Yuko Kawaguchi/Alexander Smirnov: "The dream is not far away - two clean skates with two quad throws"

December 26, 2015

Yuko Kawaguchi/Alexander Smirnov, Two-time European champions and world championship medalist in pair skating, summed up their performances at the Russian National Championships, where they became silver medalists.

- To be honest, today I worried a lot less - Alexander Smirnov commented on the FS routine. - I was confident in my abilities and wanted to do two quad throws, but in the end we only made one. I am a little disappointed as the mistakes we made during the skating affected our final scores, but I am happy that this year is coming to an end. The next season, I hope, will be more successful.

- How do you explain the mistakes?

- We are hoping to show two quadruple throws with clean skate today – Smirnov continued. - Maybe I was fatigued, or I did not set up correctly and fought for something else, so that a 100 percent clean skate failed, but we both have always fought to the end. It is a pity that the mistakes had negative impact on the artistic side of our performance. But this test is passed. Passed. Now all decisions rest with the judges.

- After the Grand Prix final in Barcelona, I am still retaining a fear of jumping - Yuko explained. - Before that, I did a three – three jump sequence, but at the start I failed. I admit it was my mistakes. Yes, Sasha and I are aspiring for a clean skate .

- Of course, Yuko is now psychologically difficult to adapt. But I know she is very strong – Sasha confessed.

- When was the decision made to go for a single quad throw in the FS?

- Today, we asked Tamara Moskvina for the tactics in the morning workout, - Alexander explained. - The coach said: "Guys, do not take extra risks. Just do one quad throw. " Yet, Yuko and I would like to attempt two. In trainings it more or less worked. But again, in the competing process of the day the decision was made - not to take risks. And thank God: it is fate that we remained in second place.

- You are the current European champions, so how difficult will it be to defend the title in Bratislava?

- Compared to winning the title, defending it is always more difficult. I think that our main task is just to abandon these ideas and resume training, and work on the errors. In no case will our conditions get worse, and they can only get improved. One Task - to show our programs. I am confident that our dream is not far away: Two clean skates with two quad throws.

- How do you assess the first half of the season?

- I believe that this year in general has developed well for us. We Yuko, Tamara, with all of our supporting group members- massagers, directors and choreographers – work very productively this year. Most importantly, it is much fun to work together. I hope such (harmonious) team work will bring us the same benefits next year.

Olga Ermolina

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
I love your K/S icon. It's so cute. :laugh:
thanks!

& now the Q
Will they be able to beat Savchenko/Massot at Euros????
Im soo worried!
But imo they shold have soooo much better PCS than S/M its not even funny.
Maybe they WILL manage to beat them?

adelia

Record Breaker
thanks!

& now the Q
Will they be able to beat Savchenko/Massot at Euros????
Im soo worried!
But imo they shold have soooo much better PCS than S/M its not even funny.
Maybe they WILL manage to beat them?
If they don't beat S/M, then goodbye to Worlds spot if T/M don't bomb at the Russian Cup Final. I'm not kidding.