Yuna Kim's journey to light Olympic cauldron | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim's journey to light Olympic cauldron

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Yuna Kim completes nearly seven-year journey with lighting of Olympic cauldron by Nick Zaccardi, NBC Olympics

As the 35,000-capacity stadium could have predicted, the iconic figure skater lit the cauldron, the symbolic opening of the Games. In a long white dress and skates on a tiny sheet of ice, she became the first woman given the honor alone since 2006 and the youngest solo lighter since 1994.

Kim’s moment was nearly seven years in the making. In spring 2011, she began a 19-month break from competition, in part to lend a hand to the PyeongChang Olympic bid in its final stages.

Yuna finally lit the torch and even skated on a tiny ice rink! Had not she been the lighter of the Olympic cauldron, I would've been very disappointed. Yuna has been THE face of the PyeongChang Olympics as having served as an Olympic ambassador and taken a greater part in the bid for the Olympics. Therefore, none other than her deserved the honor as the final lighter. However, given the long history of her federation and S.Korean politicians that have taken advantage of her, I couldn't feel assured that she will take the role at the opening ceremony. In the end my dream came true and it was the best moment of the opening ceremony for me. :) :thumbsup:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I only saw a few quick clips of her skating and lighting the torch but I can assure you that even those gave me chills :love:

Seruleane

Final Flight
Seeing Yuna back on ice and lighting the Olympic cauldron was the highlight of the ceremony for me :love:
I can't think of a more worthy candidate to light it. Hope to see her in the audience during some of the figure skating events. She said she would be watching women's figure skating. Wonder who is her favorite Russian- Evgenia or Alina? Or maybe Masha? ;)

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
So proud of her! She has done it all- endless medals in her career, the face of the sport in her country, ambassador for the Olympics in Pyeongchang, & lighting the cauldron! What a woman :yahoo:

koheikun90

On the Ice
I cried when I saw here. She was so beautiful and stunning. I had flashbacks of her career starting when I was looking at results at a JGP event in 2004 when I noticed a skater for Korea take home the silver. I honestly thought it was an American skater who decided to skate for her parents homeland. Then a flash back of when I first saw here live at the 2005 junior worlds and I knew she was some very very special. Then a flashback when I stayed up until 4 am to watch the 2009 GPF in Korea which to this day I feel was the most intense competition in the history of skating with the rivalry of Mao Asada. And finally when I cried so hard when I saw her score a 150.06 at the Olympics to the roar of her fans and countrymen. She made me watch skating again. She’s my idol, my icon.

Suze

Rinkside
I can’t believe it. I’m watching the NBC broadcast right now and have tears in my eyes watching Yuna. This whole ceremony has been beautiful but her appearance is really choking me up. God bless all!

Imagine

Medalist
Did anyone else find the ceremony somewhat underwhelming? Like Yuna lighting the torch was literally the only part of the whole thing that I found memorable about the whole affair...

^ I liked the dancers that came on right afterward.

But yeah -- there she was! The queen in all her regal simplicity.

sylveonzoroark

Rinkside
She was so beautiful and ethereal up there. The little bit of skating she did was the highlight of the ceremony for me.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Did anyone else find the ceremony somewhat underwhelming? Like Yuna lighting the torch was literally the only part of the whole thing that I found memorable about the whole affair...

I didn't mind the ceremony as I wasn't expecting the huge spectacle that was the Sochi opening. Just wait another 4 years and Beijing will try outdo them all ;)

MiRé

Match Penalty

It’s hard to understand many meanings that were portrayed during the ceremony, especially if you are not Korean. The song Arirang and the song about toads are traditional Korean songs with deep meanings. Not saying you are, but it shows how little the world knows about Korea, and I just hope through this ceremony people begin to appreciate and learn the cultures and values of Korea and other countries

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker

thats because everything around her looks pale in comparison :biggrin::luv17::love:

ahhh The Queen!! i was teary eyed too, and i agree with the sentiment that there is noone else more deserving of lighting the cauldron :agree:

MRani

On the Ice
I thought the opening ceremony was beautiful and very enjoyable. The NBC commentators actually did a decent job of presenting the history and cultural significance of the performances and symbols on the stage.

My favorite parts were the Imagine performance with the candles, the opera singer and the Olympic anthem (her hanbok was stunning), the drones making the Olympic Rings, Yuna lighting the cauldron, and the dancers and pyrotechnical performance after.

There was plenty of visual and musical spectacle to enjoy even if you didn’t watch the broadcast with the commentators explaining the significance of everything. Korea has a beautiful culture and I’m glad it was on full display.

MiRé

Match Penalty
I thought the opening ceremony was beautiful and very enjoyable. The NBC commentators actually did a decent job of presenting the history and cultural significance of the performances and symbols on the stage.

My favorite parts were the Imagine performance with the candles, the opera singer and the Olympic anthem (her hanbok was stunning), the drones making the Olympic Rings, Yuna lighting the cauldron, and the dancers and pyrotechnical performance after.

There was plenty of visual and musical spectacle to enjoy even if you didn’t watch the broadcast with the commentators explaining the significance of everything. Korea has a beautiful culture and I’m glad it was on full display.

Agreed. Aside from notorious ads.......I could sense the commentators studied the culture and explained it very well!

randomfan

Record Breaker
I was not at all surprised to see that Yuna was the one with the honour of lighting up the cauldron. However, seeing her skate a little was a pleasant surprise. That whole portion itself was done very well too. Seeing the amazing person who meant so much to South Korea and the sport of figure skating once again was really beautiful.

EyesOfLove

On the Ice
It was glorious to watch Yuna skate, not to mention light the cauldron. Short though it lasted, the beauty of her simple skating moves, integrated with the long white garment and boots without the tights on, really helped to evoke the quintessential image of a ladies' figure skating champion.