Yuna Kim's journey to light Olympic cauldron | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim's journey to light Olympic cauldron

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Did anyone else find the ceremony somewhat underwhelming? Like Yuna lighting the torch was literally the only part of the whole thing that I found memorable about the whole affair...

I said this as well when I saw it live but after reading comments about the past opening ceremonies being over-budgetted, I started to lower my expectations. Furthermore, we can't forget that they did in an open-air stadium. That may be my only gripe because I think SK would've went all out with the technology.

They need to go all out on the closing ceremony though. I expect a full-blown kpop/pop-culture concert. Man, I need to see Yoo Jae-suk at the least.

sakurano

Final Flight
It was a pleasant surprise to see Queen Yuna at the last moment, I literally shouted with joy, I hope we'll see her more often
:love:

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Did anyone else find the ceremony somewhat underwhelming? Like Yuna lighting the torch was literally the only part of the whole thing that I found memorable about the whole affair...

I usually miss the olympic ceremonies, so I have no basis for comparison, but I thought this one was great, except the little kids episodes which were a bit snoozy. I especially loved the parade of nations [the Bulgarian commentators made sure to shower us with details about each and every flagbearer, nation, Olympic history, Olympic chances, training details etc etc :D] and how they made the Olympic rings appear with drones. And Yuna lighting the fire. Maybe I am just easily impressed but I liked the ceremony wasn't overly kitchy and over the top.

mirai_asada

On the Ice
Is this the first time since Sochi that Yuna skated publicly?? :love:

"I don't skate often but when I do, it's before I light the Winter Olympic cauldron, no biggie."
- Yuna, probably

GGFan

Record Breaker
I was watching here live and several posters kept asking, where is Yuna? Those of us who are used to these, know that they like to hold the secret until the very last minute (see, e.g. Muhammad Ali in 1996). My connection was slow but I wanted to reassure folks that there was still time.

I think people started to get really scared when they saw the torch going up the stairs. Meanwhile, I'm thinking, don't worry they're making the peons :biggrin: do the work and then the Queen will take over. I looked out over the corner of the eye and I knew it was her at the top and she almost miscued her entrance (the two former champions needed to have their moment after doing all that).

And then the moment came and tt was glorious! :love: Brilliant of them to have her skate. I love that she was obviously moved and nervous. Well worth the wait. :hap93:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
I was watching here live and several posters kept asking, where is Yuna? Those of us who are used to these, know that they like to hold the secret until the very last minute (see, e.g. Muhammad Ali in 1996). My connection was slow but I wanted to reassure folks that there was still time.

I think people started to get really scared when they saw the torch going up the stairs. Meanwhile, I'm thinking, don't worry they're making the peons :biggrin: do the work and then the Queen will take over. I looked out over the corner of the eye and I knew it was her at the top and she almost miscued her entrance (the two former champions needed to have their moment after doing all that).

And then the moment came and tt was glorious! :love: Brilliant of them to have her skate. I love that she was obviously moved and nervous. Well worth the wait. :hap93:

you saw that live?!?!?:luv17: so jealous :cry:

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I thought the ceremony was lovely...

And seeing queen Yuna skate and light the torch was everything. What a beautiful way for her career to come full circle.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I first saw the clip yuna light the torch that morning before NBC prime time. The first impression is literally, she flew in like an Angel (before her little dance).
Then I watched NBC prime time. they explained a little about the costumes used throughout the opening ceremony is influenced or some kinda variation of hanbok. So when I saw Yuna's white dress, it does have a little feeling of hanbok, also the white color, NBC commentators explained that white is the color of Korean, Koreans were referred to as "white people" (nothing about race) because they usually wear white colored clothes in ancient times. So the white color of Yuna's dress may also have this connotation as well.

Also, as many has pointed out and made the connection, Yuna's overall imagery really reminds people of quintessential vintage lady's figure skating.

And for the first time, Yuna is truly dance on the edge of a cliff. People has always metaphorically used "dance on the cliff edge" to describe her grace under tremendous pressure.
This is the first time, she is indeed dance on the edge of a cliff. And it is extremely cold up high there too, but what you can say about our Yuna Queen! As graceful as always. plus "cold never bothered me anyway":biggrin:

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I first saw the clip yuna light the torch that morning before NBC prime time. The first impression is literally, she flew in like an Angel (before her little dance).
Then I watched NBC prime time. they explained a little about the costumes used throughout the opening ceremony is influenced or some kinda variation of hanbok. So when I saw Yuna's white dress, it does have a little feeling of hanbok, also the white color, NBC commentators explained that white is the color of Korean, Koreans were referred to as "white people" (nothing about race) because they usually wear white colored clothes in ancient times. So the white color of Yuna's dress may also have this connotation as well.

Also, as many has pointed out and made the connection, Yuna's overall imagery really reminds people of quintessential vintage lady's figure skating.

And for the first time, Yuna is truly dance on the edge of a cliff. People has always metaphorically used "dance on the cliff edge" to describe her grace under tremendous pressure.
This is the first time, she is indeed dance on the edge of a cliff. And it is extremely cold up high there too, but what you can say about our Yuna Queen! As graceful as always. plus "cold never bothered me anyway"[emoji3]
That Yuna's Let it Go EX reference though! [emoji23]
Yuna's career has really come full circle. I hope now she can move on to do whatever she wants. I'm always under the impression she's "sacrificing" herself, living for others, for her country, anything but for herself. She's selfless and humble, she truly deserved that honour.
And now the whole Yuna fandom is having a nostalgia attack. [emoji23]
Yuna killed us with her short performance! Love her even more! [emoji173]️

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Funny thing is.... apparently they never rehearsed it... the torch passing!
It could have gone all so wrong. (Wonder what Wilson thought of the choreography lol...)

http://www.straitstimes.com/sport/w...ympic-flame-surreal-says-skate-queen-kim-yuna

What a palm-sweating moment of genuine delight :)

Yeah, I noticed white was such a prevalent part of the overall aesthetics of the opening ceremony (a feature of negative space) and figured it was deliberate. There was little colour blocking. Simple, Pure and a bit folklore like. (Like how white is an important part of Chinese calligraphy, paintings presentations.) I have to say though, I am glad Yuna wore something contemporary/vintage classic style than a Hanbok. She has never been traditional, even in her approach to Arirang.

The fact we have a young girl (27 young?) lighting the Olympic cauldron in a long time (since Cathy Freeman - Sydney Olympics 2000, Midori Ito 1998) is an amazing thing for the Winter Olympics, figure skating, woman power and gender representation in this particular time and age. Also, the all-female drum troupe was also quite memorable, impressive and a powerful image of a forwarding looking dynamic Korea.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Btw, even during the most beautiful and solemn moments my mind still has a bit of snark going. As the Korean announcer is calling her name I'm imagining that he's saying to us (and he emphasized every syllable): "Stupid Westerners, this is how you actually pronounce her name! It sounds nothing like Yuna." :laugh2:

anyanka

Record Breaker
Btw, even during the most beautiful and solemn moments my mind still has a bit of snark going. As the Korean announcer is calling her name I'm imagining that he's saying to us (and he emphasized every syllable): "Stupid Westerners, this is how you actually pronounce her name! It sounds nothing like Yuna." :laugh2:

^ exactly