Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 146 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

sajoya

On the Ice
When he came back to Toroto after Sochi Olympics, he gave me to wear his heavy medal. And then, I make my mind to aim the gold medal in PyeongChang Olympics 2018.

Despite my intense love and support for Yuzuru, I actually want Javi to get gold in the next olympics. It's been such a long journey for him and if I was to see him retire, I would love to see it where there's an olympic gold dangling around his neck. What a grand way to end a chapter in his life, also an account for all his hard work. :yay:

Esopian

Final Flight
Q: And how about Yuzu?
J: When he came back to Toroto after Sochi Olympics, he gave me to wear his heavy medal. And then, I make my mind to aim the gold medal in PyeongChang Olympics 2018.

I'm glad Fernandez has such a good relationship with Yuzu, their friendship has a nice feeling to it and is different from the others. Also, I feel it takes a lot of self-control and good sportsmanship to not feel jealous over a close training-mate who had just won the OGM. He continues to praise Yuzu for his unchanging, hardworking attitude and I'm glad Fernandez is getting more ambitious (personality-wise) by setting the gold medal in 2018 as his goal. :clap: Friendly rivalries are always more promising than head-to-head ones.

Windy

Rinkside
If Javier get the gold at PyeongChang, then Brian Orser will become a legend coach! I love javier, but I'd still want our kid to get the gold "I want to win that Olympics, and I want to win the next one". I want him to have a perfect skating, a Olympic worthy performance that allow him to actually enjoy the victory. In conclusion, I just want him to become a legend :laugh:

Meoima

Match Penalty
If Javier get the gold at PyeongChang, then Brian Orser will become a legend coach! I love javier, but I'd still want our kid to get the gold "I want to win that Olympics, and I want to win the next one". I want him to have a perfect skating, a Olympic worthy performance that allow him to actually enjoy the victory. In conclusion, I just want him to become a legend :laugh:
I wish that Hanyu becomes a healthy legend. Anyone please stop him from all the insane ice shows.:cry:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I like Javi very much and I'm happy that they are good friends. :biggrin:
I always had little problems with the fact that active skaters at almost the same level share coaches. I mean, it must be very difficult for the coaches and also for the skaters. As a coach, you want your skater to win, but with two amazing skaters..how do you stay neutral and "be there" for both of them? As a Virtue/Moir fan, I could never understand how Zoueva managed the situation with probably two of the best ice dance pairs ever. (on one side it was great for her that her students always won, sometimes V/M, other times D/W, but...)

roxella

On the Ice
Thanks a lot to everyone who posted links,photos and translations :) I had a lot to catch up,because the forum goes really fast :cool:

And of course I would like Yuzu to win the gold in 2018,too...although I like Javi, I LOVE the kid and I want for him all the gold in the world :yay:

roxella

On the Ice
As a coach, you want your skater to win, but with two amazing skaters..how do you stay neutral and "be there" for both of them?

And from now on,Orser also has Nam in the big competitions....so I wonder how is he able to handle this situation. :scratch: Three amazing skaters,all of them wanting the gold in 2018 :popcorn:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
【news】Javier talked about Yuzu after Worlds Championship interview

As a sponsor of ISU four Championships, Canon (Japan cameras giant) interviewed Javier Fernandez after Worlds on early April. Not surprisingly, he was asked some questions about his training mate - Yuzu.

Full article in Japanese: http://web.canon.jp/event/skating/interview/int_fernandez02_1.html

Summary translation as following:

Q: Congratulation to your bronze medal. Did you feel regrettable the result while you were second in SP?
J: Indeed, I was somewhat careless in LP. Machida performed great in both program. Yuzu is a super star with potential, as we have known. Although he was third in SP, I could not guess the finale result.

Actually, I aimed to get another color of medal (besides bronze). But with such strong competitors on same rink, I was satisfied with the results.

Q: The order of appearance made Javier unease?
J: It was quite unease in order of appearance this time. I didn’t watch the performance of Machida on the field. But I knew his status was great. And then, I saw Yuzu got very high scores in LP.

While competing in Japan, I experienced very nervous after Yuzu. The audience excitedly cheered for him. I needed to go on ice with many flowers and gifts on the rink. I almost kicked one child this time

But suddenly, the audience was quiet to let me focus and applauded while announcing my name. When I finished the LP, 18,000 audiences stood to applaud for me. Wow, I felt flattered. I do love Japanese audience!

(Yuzu gave a quiet pose to audience at that time for Javier, while he waited the scores announcement. See video “Yuzuru HANYU (JPN) -FP-WC2014” at 08:24) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIbFk1IE8rQ

Q: How to jump a quad easily like you?
J: It might need some talent. (joke:p) There are two Quad jump factions. The Russian one relies on spins, and the North American one focuses on speed. For myself, I use normal speed to lead the jump. If the speed is over, it won’t be successful of a quad.

On the other hand, muscle portion is various by individual. For example, Yuzu looks slim, but he has all muscles needed. The way he jumps don’t need the large muscles, and it is same to me.

Q: As an athlete, sometimes your ambitions is seemed not enough?
J: Well, I know the necessity of ambition in competing career. However, I am glad to see supporters (fans) cheered for my well performance. The sharing cheer with them is more important than the winning itself.

Once a day, when nobody comes to watch my performance and cheer for me, I will definitely retire. The audience’s applauds and flowers are part of a competition, which let me feel the existence. It is more important than the scores themselves and make me happier.

Q: Any words to Brain Orser coach?
J: I would thank him for never giving me up all the time. He is so patient and nice to mentor my motivation and believe that I can achieve to goals one day. As an athlete, sportsman and person, Orser coach is a father of my Toroto days; I respect him in all ways.

Q: And how about Yuzu?
J: His talent, hardworking and passion to skating are such outstanding, which encourage me. And his team also works hard in any ways. Yuzu always focuses on ice training, as it is reasonable to do so.

He does not change a bit even he got the Olympics gold medal. He didn’t become lazy, take excuses or become complacent. It’s a way I think a world champion should be.

When he came bck to Toroto after Sochi Olyampics, he gave me to wear his heavy medal. And then, I make my mind to aim the gold medal in PyeongChang Olympics 2018.

Thank you echotpe for this translation! I wish we have a picture of Javier wearing Yuzuru's Olympic gold medal like this one of Nam: https://31.media.tumblr.com/80f184b94cd7fb7960680d3aecfcf142/tumblr_n21cobAPX61qltewro1_500.jpg. Just like Javier, Nam has only openly declared his intention to aim for Olympic gold in Pyeongchang. My dream is for all of them to bring their best skating in the Olympics. :)

echotpe

On the Ice
Thank you echotpe for this translation! I wish we have a picture of Javier wearing Yuzuru's Olympic gold medal like this one of Nam: https://31.media.tumblr.com/80f184b94cd7fb7960680d3aecfcf142/tumblr_n21cobAPX61qltewro1_500.jpg. Just like Javier, Nam has only openly declared his intention to aim for Olympic gold in Pyeongchang. My dream is for all of them to bring their best skating in the Olympics. :)

It is a wonderful thing to collect various sources worldwide to make Yuzu thread richer to read and more joyful in life. Thank everyone here!

By the way, I just watch the CBC version of Worlds FP 2014 for Yuzu. There are some shots only in this version about Javi and Yuzu. Take a watch! http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm23360861

Yuzusan

On the Ice
Here a complete translation of this article : it is an interview of Brian Orser on air since these current days.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BldaTiqCcAENjdr.jpg

Thank you for Yude (from YH Forumatic) for his translation and great job to him !

In Sochi Olympics, the skaters who had the origin in Asia swept the podium; Hanyu for Gold, Patrick Chan for Silver and Denis Ten for Bronze.
Yuna Kim once you had taught also got the second medal of the Olympics in Sochi after getting the gold medal in Vancouver.
What is the reason for the success of the skaters from the Asian roots?

They are easy to rotate with their low center of gravity and small pelves. Self-discipline is rooted in their culture. It is also easy to manage the weight.

Is Hanyu the same kind, too?

If we make a plan, Yuzuru does exactly as we planed. If we plan to skate from twelve o'clock, he makes his warm-up done and is ready by then.
He doesn't care about the noise, too. He is not sociable very much and did not play around, he thought about physical condition management the first.

You were a member of the Team Japan. How did you see Mao Asada who couldn't get a medal but attracted attention?

She has high ability and is beautiful. She had hardships in both of her real life and the competition side, it was like a roller coaster with ups and downs.
But she overcame them all. She is the existence that raised this sport a level higher in the standard.
I was thinking that she could get the gold medal, I really thought so.

Asada kept challenging 3A, the jump you also had in your competitive career.

I was one of the first skaters who executed 3A in the late 70's. Once you executes 3A, you are required to do it involving the fans, the media and the whole skating communities.

Do you think it was easier for Asada if she gave up 3A?

She could not want to choose the easy way because she was the champion. You all ask her for sure, "Why did you not do it?", don't you? What's called "responsibility" occurs in working on the advanced skill.

Don't you think the base value of 3A should be higher?

Having done that, there will be the opinion that 3-3 combination is more difficult. Both elements are difficult. I think the current base value is fair.

As for this sport, we always have the controversy in the scoring. Comparing the performances of Sotnikova and Kim, there is an argument in Korea about Kim's score which was too low.

I have watched it only on TV, so I can't judge it correctly.
When I say the impressions on that premise, the scores for SP of Yuna Kim and Carolina Kostner could have been higher.
And as my opinion, I felt that Kostner should have won overall. However, the performance of Sotnikova was special with her youth and energy.

How are you going to lead Hanyu from now on?

We will work on brushing up the skating skills and strengthening the transitions. Directionality of the choreography is also important.

Why do you point out the choreography?

I want to investigate what is the most suitable for him who is young and has various possibilities.
Yuna Kim did search for it, too. He is going to try many kinds of choreographies to find out the good one such as James Bond SP for Kim.

Do you have something to say about the current scoring system?

I train my students according to the rules we are given.
However, if there is one thing which does not change regardless of how the rules change, it is skating skill.
If there are new requirements in changing the rules, they still can grow into the skaters who are scored high if they train even the skating skill.

Yuzusan

On the Ice
Remember this current article : https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BldaTiqCcAENjdr.jpg. I think it was echotpe who summarized the article.
I posted on the media topic a complete translation of the article. Very interesting.
I mainly noticed that "He is not sociable very much and did not play around, he thought about physical condition management the first". He seems focusing on his training whatever what is present around him.
This boy is perfect ...

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^Thanks echotpe! As an English speaker, I've been waiting and waiting for someone to upload the CBC and NBC coverage of Yuzuru's LP at the 2014 Worlds. Now trying to remember my nicovideo password ...

PS. A gentle reminder too if you haven't yet done so to post translations and links in the newly created thread for Yuzuru Hanyu links for media for fans who want the Yuzu "database" at their fingertips.

Yuzusan

On the Ice
It is a wonderful thing to collect various sources worldwide to make Yuzu thread richer to read and more joyful in life. Thank everyone here!

By the way, I just watch the CBC version of Worlds FP 2014 for Yuzu. There are some shots only in this version about Javi and Yuzu. Take a watch! http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm23360861

Are there an other source to see the video ? Because it is tiring to register. And I don't want connect with my facebook ^^

echotpe

On the Ice
Thank Yuzusan & Maria Victoria, your gentle reminders are welcome! What a "teamwork" in the internet. :clap:

Yuzusan

On the Ice
I finally registered and watched the video ! Nice the end when Hanyu and Javer did a huge hug ! Passion, intensity, pain, relationship ...

happy_Yuzu_fan

Rinkside

I wonder how Brian Orser will be able to handle coaching 3 male skaters in the next Olympics... I bet he'll be holding both Pooh and Sully by then... :)