Yuzuru Hanyu has announced his marriage! | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu has announced his marriage!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Now we understand the purchase a few months back of two new luxury apartments in Sendai!

No, we don't know who to and there seem to be no pictures of Mrs Hanyu, for someone with his huge public profile in Japan and Asia, the sheer fact that he has been able to keep his relationship so quiet and then announce the news himself, in his own time - almost casually on a Friday afternoon - and in his own way, is amazing enough (as it is, his tweet has received over 25 million views in half a day, and the media and weibo have gone bonkers, but as always Yuzuru does things his way ❣️❤️❣️).

But heaps of congrats to our Ice King, I hope and pray that that he and his new partner will be as happy and blessed as he deserves, even if we never ever ever get to see the wedding photos!

congrats.png

I swear, we all thought he was firmly wedded to ice-chan...

Last edited:

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
the sheer fact that he has been able to keep his relationship so quiet and then announce the news himself, in his own time - almost casually on a Friday afternoon - and in his own way, is amazing enough
This 💯
Considering his global fame, it's amazing and heartening that he has managed to a.) have a personal life and b.) keep it private all these years.

Congrats and best wishes to the newlyweds!

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
FWIW, that was the weirdest marriage announcement I have ever seen. He doesn't even mention her (I am assuming it's a woman)...
Anyway, I hope they are happy and she can deal with the strange behavior of his super fans.
Same-sex marriage is still not legal in Japan. And no ceremony required to marry; you can just submit paperwork to your local council office (city hall) (nyuseki, which is the word he used in his announcement). The Japanese media are hyenas, vultures, and worse. I'm sure Yuzuru is doing whatever he can to protect her from unwanted attention. Good for him.

Magill

Record Breaker
Same-sex marriage is still not legal in Japan. And no ceremony required to marry; you can just submit paperwork to your local council office (city hall) (nyuseki, which is the word he used in his announcement). The Japanese media are hyenas, vultures, and worse. I'm sure Yuzuru is doing whatever he can to protect her from unwanted attention. Good for him.
Thank you for this explanation! I was just about to write more or less the same response when I've seen yours :)
Yuzuru has always been very keen on protecting his own and his family's privacy (and has good reasons for it, no doubt about it).

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
FWIW, that was the weirdest marriage announcement I have ever seen. He doesn't even mention her (I am assuming it's a woman)...
Anyway, I hope they are happy and she can deal with the strange behavior of his super fans.
Firstly, as has been pointed out over and over by Japanese fans, this is quite a normal thing in Japan for celebrities, especially when the new partner is not also famous. people still don't know the name of Arakawa's husband.

Secondly, was it really necessary to throw snark over what has been a happy thread in order to feel superior to fans you don't like? There's been thankfully little of it in the reactions online, the vast majority of fans have been celebrating and sending good wishes, pretty much all of the negativity has been... well, like this.

Ziotic

Medalist
Firstly, as has been pointed out over and over by Japanese fans, this is quite a normal thing in Japan for celebrities, especially when the new partner is not also famous. people still don't know the name of Arakawa's husband.

Secondly, was it really necessary to throw snark over what has been a happy thread in order to feel superior to fans you don't like? There's been thankfully little of it in the reactions online, the vast majority of fans have been celebrating and sending good wishes, pretty much all of the negativity has been... well, like this.
I had no idea that same sex marriage wasn’t legal in Japan.

As it’s been legal in my country for almost 20 years I wouldn’t assume anyone married someone of the opposite sex without their confirmation.

I always use gender neutral pronouns when referring to someone’s partner until they’ve confirmed their preferences to me.

In doing so, I mean to be respectful of someone’s personal preferences. That being said, all the best to Yuzuru and his partner!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I had no idea that same sex marriage wasn’t legal in Japan.

As it’s been legal in my country for almost 20 years I wouldn’t assume anyone married someone of the opposite sex without their confirmation.

I always use gender neutral pronouns when referring to someone’s partner until they’ve confirmed their preferences to me.

In doing so, I mean to be respectful of someone’s personal preferences. That being said, all the best to Yuzuru and his partner!

Actually, I didn't know either :) and there's an excellent chance we will never get to find out who the spouse is anyway (the amount we actually know about his family and private life is amazingly small as it is). I'm just happy that he is happy, he deserves it.

Magill

Record Breaker
Anyway, at an attempt to bring back the happy tone of this thread and shake off any discords that may have slipped this way, here is the congratulatory tweet (or "X" by now) sent to Yuzuru in response to his wedding announcement by Japanese photographer, Taichi Kazuka, who had photographed him many, many times. As he explains, seeing two swans facing each other this way is believed to bring luck and happiness so let it bring all the best things to Yuzuru and his spouse (and to all of us watching and wishing well, too) :)

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Actually, I didn't know either :) and there's an excellent chance we will never get to find out who the spouse is anyway (the amount we actually know about his family and private life is amazingly small as it is). I'm just happy that he is happy, he deserves it.
Perhaps it's not a realistic wish, but I wish Yuzuru and his wife were eventually able to just go out together for dinner and such, without having to hide from tabloid reporters, like ordinary couples do. Wishing them the best!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Perhaps it's not a realistic wish, but I wish Yuzuru and his wife were eventually able to just go out together for dinner and such, without having to hide from tabloid reporters, like ordinary couples do. Wishing them the best!

Once the media frenzy does down, Sendai will do their best to protect him and his family, as they always have.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Once the media frenzy does down, Sendai will do their best to protect him and his family, as they always have.
Indeed, we know only from his autographs on the walls of some Sendai restaurants (where of course, many "Yuzuru Hanyu Sendai tourists" try to make a stop) that he's visited them. And these autographs were signed by himself, for this purpose, or the restaurant owners wouldn't have told.
I suppose that if and when he dines there again, they won't tell either with whom. He doesn't dine out often at all (anyway his condition and athletic level alone would forbid it), but at least, he can indulge in a diner out from time to time.
https://sendai-meguri.com/sekitei/
IMG_6655.jpg