Zawadzki profiled by Sports Illustrated (Apr 10) | Golden Skate

Zawadzki profiled by Sports Illustrated (Apr 10)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Brian Cazeneuve > INSIDE OLYMPIC SPORTS

Agnes Zawadzki aiming for newly open spot at 2014 games

Posted: Wed April 10, 2013 7:26 PM; Updated: Wed April 10, 2013 8:04 PM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/20130410/agnes-zawadzki/

ETA, excerpt:
She has decided to keep her existing short program, choreographer by David Wilson and skated to music from Sex in the City. Her long program will have a decidedly different look, a tango, though she won't reveal more details yet. The ambitious music of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue will be gone. She will bring back the Axel-toe loop combination jump that she abandoned last year in favor of an easier toe-toe combination. She'll add a triple loop, which she considers perhaps her weakest jump, and she may add a tricky Lutz-toe combo, since her triple Lutz is superb.​

ETA, forgot to include this excerpt before:
Once Agnes began graduating from the mommy-and-me introductory skating classes in the Chicago area, the expenses included the skating lessons that can run roughly $60,000 a year at the advanced levels for coaching, choreography, ice time and outfits.​

Trewyn

Medalist
I always dislike it when skaters keep a program for more than one season. A tango sounds... unoriginal. I hope the choreography will be challenging!
Interesting to read about 2013 Worlds from her perspective, I imagine the 3 spots were incredibly good news! Definitely reason for her to jump for joy.

I agree with Trewyn. Especially for the Olympics.

To me, when a skater keeps an old program, that sends a message that he/she is just hanging on trying not to slip backward. All new programs say go, go, go! I've got a whole lot more to say!

Bentley

Rinkside
She is not the first skater to use an old program. Many have includiing Kwan, Cohen and don't forget Arakawa won the 2006 Gold with an old LONG program. Or is it just if Agnes does it that it is so awful?

She is not the first skater to use an old program. Many have includiing Kwan, Cohen and don't forget Arakawa won the 2006 Gold with an old LONG program. Or is it just if Agnes does it that it is so awful?

No, not just Agnes. It was awful that Michelle recycled the Rachmaninov short program for the 2002 Olympics. I knew she was doomed right then and there. You got to go for it! Convey the message, "I've got so many spectacular ideas for program in me that there aren't enough competitions to get them all out there."

Matilda

Medalist
You got to go for it! Convey the message, "I've got so many spectacular ideas for program in me that there aren't enough competitions to get them all out there."

Someone should tell that to Patrick Chan ;)

Good luck to Agnes!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Petrenko, Baiul, Sale and Pelletier, Arakawa have all "re cycled" programs to win Oly gold. Maria B, Mit and Dimitriev repeated programs for world titles and I am sure the list goes on except for dance I don't think I have ever seen myself a reused program other than for the old Grandprix format of course where you needed two long programs.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I agree with Trewyn. Especially for the Olympics.

To me, when a skater keeps an old program, that sends a message that he/she is just hanging on trying not to slip backward. All new programs say go, go, go! I've got a whole lot more to say!
I agree with you, but I think that choreographing programs (that means meet with the choreographer, choose the music selection, cut the music, choreograph the program, train it, change it when you need...) and buying new costumes is really expensive and tiring, a program that you already know can make you feel comfortable, especially when it is the SP, the first one that you skate in a competition...
I'm happy that she'll be trying a 3Lo, she needs one more triple, I think, since she always makes mistakes in either one of her lutzes or the 3T+3T...

KKonas

Medalist

I don't mind keeping a program for another year except not in an Olympic year. I particularly dislike using old warhorses like Carmen, Spartacus, etc.