2014 Rostelecom Cup Men's Short Program 11/14 | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2014 Rostelecom Cup Men's Short Program 11/14

Matt K

On the Ice
MEN event is not ICE DANCING. MEN competition is about connecting Athleticism with art. If someone can jump two quads, then why he shouldn't ? That means he is better in this department than this ho can't do this.

Ever heard of BV which Jason isn't a club member. That flawless skate from Voronov only got 1+ more in PCS than Brown's flawed SP. He should be happy he got those kinds of scores which are actually higher than Taka. A vastly superior skater who actually attempts a quad in his program.

FS competition is not ice show, those who want to follow FS because it looks like show should buy tickets to ice shows, not competition. End of story. .

:clap: :rock:

If I want good ice dance, I will watch the ice dancing discipline. (it is not even that good anymore but whatever). And it is NOT like the other men are bad edge-masters or skaters or artists. Takahiko was robbed in PCS. He is also by far the best skater in this competition with Javier.

Last edited:

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
FS competition is not ice show, those who want to follow FS because it looks like show should buy tickets to ice shows, not competition. End of story.
Yes, you're right. But unfortunately skating show in Europe are not so many as in America. The races are broadcast, the video can be found on the internet. If I stop watching the races I stop watching figure skating.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
You don't understand something. If anyone knows how to blow two quads, it must do it! But, only quads are not enough! If you do two quad without art is eguale whe you dance well without the quad. The result will be: those who have begun to watch figure skating because it looked like a show it will stop. And figure skating returns to the closet world of sport.

But you seem to think your definition of "art" trumps everyone else's. I'm sorry, but I don't find fiddling around with suspenders with a big smile more "artistic" than Voronov's program. Nor do I think Max's program is some artistic masterpiece...I mean, it's Footloose. Because it's American vs. Russian, that makes it more artistic in your eyes?

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
But the question - the same that was born aproposito Rhythmic Gymnastics - remains: why not just jump quads only ones for scorores? Why pretend to make art?

makaihime

Final Flight
:clap: :rock:

If I want good ice dance, I will watch the ice dancing discipline. (it is not even that good anymore but whatever). And it is NOT like the other men are bad edge-masters or skaters or artists. Takahiko was robbed in PCS.

Taka was underscored, the sky is blue, and the grass is green. It should surprise us when he isn't low balled :hopelessness:

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
But you seem to think your definition of "art" trumps everyone else's. I'm sorry, but I don't find fiddling around with suspenders with a big smile more "artistic" than Voronov's program. Nor do I think Max's program is some artistic masterpiece...I mean, it's Footloose. Because it's American vs. Russian, that makes it more artistic in your eyes?
The Russian style exists. It has its roots in classical ballet, nem Bolshoi Theatre and the Mariinsii. But russsi since then have not been able to overcome their past classic. It is not by accident that they failed to achieve in modern dance. While US is the birthplace of modern dance (just because he hasn't classical traditions). And I think that this difference can be seen very well in figure skating.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
But the question - the same that was born aproposito Rhythmic Gymnastics - remains: why not just jump quads only ones for scorores? Why pretend to make art?
But what did Max and Jason do that was so "superior" to Voronov? What did they have, in those particular performances, to make up for the technical deficit?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

WeakAnkles, what's that Latin phase again? :laugh:

Jason's style is not for everyone, that is clear. But I wouldn't reduce his performance to smiling and suspenders, either. The judges didn't. FWIW, Jason's score would have been lower had he not kept up the level performance.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

Oh for the love of GOD. Stop the American bashing. It's beyond annoying. Should I say that putting a sour puss face on and waving your arms about Oh Doh So Dramatically while skating to classical music overlaid with a Eurodisco beat makes it some kind of "Russian" artistic masterpiece? Because if you want to reduce things down to a cultural cliche, we can all play that game. It's just a very tedious one.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oh for the love of GOD. Stop the American bashing. It's beyond annoying. Should I say that putting a sour puss face on and waving your arms about Oh Doh So Dramatically makes it some kind of "Russian" artistic masterpiece? Because if you want to reduce things down to a cultural cliche, we can all play that game. It's just a very tedious one.

So what's that Latin phrase again, WA?! Why are you keeping Mrs. P waiting?!

makaihime

Final Flight
This still puzzles me, why???

I refuse to accept it, but if there is any reason at all I'm guessing it has to do with his lack of presence on the ice...he always seem so unsure of himself and the judges probably pick up on that. :cry:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Oh for the love of GOD. Stop the American bashing. It's beyond annoying. Should I say that putting a sour puss face on and waving your arms about Oh Doh So Dramatically while skating to classical music overlaid with a Eurodisco beat makes it some kind of "Russian" artistic masterpiece? Because if you want to reduce things down to a cultural cliche, we can all play that game. It's just a very tedious one.
But where's the rage at the other poster's "Russian-bashing"?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
WA, I had to succumb to wikipedia! WIKIPEDIA.

De gustibus non est disputandum :)

Can we just hug it out now?

ETA: Oh sorry, WA. You did post it. But still, how dare you make me have to LOOK SOMETHING UP. GOD FORBID!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
WA, I had to succumb to wikipedia! WIKIPEDIA.

De gustibus non est disputandum :)

Can we just hug it out now?

ETA: Oh sorry, WA. You did post it. But still, how dare you make me have to LOOK SOMETHING UP. GOD FORBID!

The bolding took a little time.

But I'm all for hugging it out (hugs are Good Medicine).