The Talented Few Who Never Won a World or an Individual Olympic Medal | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The Talented Few Who Never Won a World or an Individual Olympic Medal

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Back in the day, when figures were super important, there were a lot of skaters who were wonderful but never medalled. Two are Robert Wagenhoffer and Gary Beacom, who won World Pro championships, though.

But definitely Nobunari Oda and Rohene Ward and Ilia Klimkin and Alexander Abt!

peg

Medalist
Back in the day, when figures were super important, there were a lot of skaters who were wonderful but never medalled. Two are Robert Wagenhoffer and Gary Beacom, who won World Pro championships, though.

But definitely Nobunari Oda and Rohene Ward and Ilia Klimkin and Alexander Abt!

Gary Beacom was fabulous!

BlackPack

Medalist
Abt was so close to winning a bronze in 2002 Worlds. He lost to Takeshi Honda who edged for the bronze on home ice. He should also have been the 2002 European Champion, but his years of inconsistency and lack of reputation made the judges go with Yagudin who made a few mistakes. At the time, I was very upset that Abt didn't win the World medal, because as a fan, I was worried that without the medals he wouldn't get the invitations to skate in shows. There were many fans who were worried that he couldn't make much of a living without the titles, and there were economic worries about his future. It seems that he's doing OK in Russian shows and the coaching work he has today.

There are many forgotten skaters that should be mentioned, but for now, I can only say that my favorites who never won a World/Olympic medal are: Abt, Savoie, Punsalan and Swallow

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Not to be rude, but Jeremy Abbott and Gracie Gold have won medals in the team event in the Olympics so they're technically Olympic bronze medalists.

Good catch. We all remember Jeremy's wonderful contribution to the American Olympic team- maybe we should say individual medal. I still believe there may be hope for Abbott and Gracie. I am losing faith in Mirai. She seems to be a few steps away from being the next Caroline Zhang.

pohatta

On the Ice
LOL true. Leonova at least made sense in that weak field where no one had a great short program. I'm still mystified by Laura Lepisto's bronze in 2010. She did like three clean triples. Is this 1988?

Let's not open that can of worms again. Her Vancouver skate (where she finished 4th in the LP) showed that Lepistö was a medal worthy talent, even if she didn't deserve the particular medal that she got.

samson

Medalist
I would also throw post transformation Angela Nikodinov into the mix. She was so close to a medal in 2001 she was third after the short program. I wonder had she had stronger mental toughness if history would have been different. We could have seen a different podium at 2001 worlds and a different team in Salt Lake City. To those not familiar here is her short program from 2001 worlds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5p3zrEI7N0

Mafke

Medalist
YUKARI NAKANO!!!!!!!!!!!

2008 worlds ladies LP was one of the nails in the coffin for the current judging system for me. She was the only skater who gave a truly inspired performance and she placed behind Asada's faceplant and a Kostner doing Bambi on Ice.

Disgraceful.

And was kept off the olympics team twice when she was first the victim of bias and then a victim of fairness.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I do want to mention that great skaters and great performers who never had an individual medal still have a future in shows.

Shawn Sawyer, Ryan Bradley, Rohene Ward, Robert Wagenhoffer, Gary Beacom, and Sasha Abt are/were all popular in shows.

People were and are happy to pay to watch them skate. :love:

...and this is why I hesitate to place Sandhu in their number. I view him as one of the great wasted talent group:

Tonya Harding, Nicole Bobek, Christopher Bowman, Emanuel Sandhu (note the other 3 have World medals, and Bobek & Bowman were also popular in shows).

I am of two minds whether this is the group Sandhu and Abbott belong in, because I would not pay to watch either Sandhu or him skate, in both cases because they do not reliably give a good performance even in shows. Indeed, sometimes they do give a good performance. But it is too big a risk of money to go to a show where they are the big or only draw.

Last edited:

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
Some people are simply ridiculous.

Pogorilaya out at 16? Give me a break! Think more in terms of more than one month. People could have said the same about Liza T. back last year when she bombed at Russian nationals.

And Gracie out due to a bad performance at 4 CC out of all places?

Too much time of your hands?

Okay, I am going to end this once and for all. Although you are right to write someone off at 16 is wrong, the depth of talent of Russia is too strong for Pogorilaya. Medvedeva, Sakhanovich, even Sotskova, all juniors, have better performance quality than Pogorilaya. Although her Phoenix exhibition is enjoyable, it's just that: an exhibition. And I don't think we would enjoy that exhibition as much if it weren't for the costume change. Does ISU allow costume change in regular competitions? I don't think so, but I haven't read into it yet. As for those making cases for Elizaveta, she had plenty of success in her junior years, AND she always had the quality jumps and quality, but it was just a bad year for her like other skaters. I know lots of people wrote her off but I think it's because it was an Olympic year, as opposed to any other. Pogorilaya doesn't really have any of those qualities. And someone mentioned that performance can't be taught. Her coach can yell at her as much as she wants, but if Pogorilaya doesn't want to show emotion, then she wont. Of all the Russians, she is my one of my favorites, but I wouldn't have written her off if I didn't know what I was talking about guys. I didn't mean to start an argument :( Sorry

mikeko666

Final Flight
YUKARI NAKANO!!!!!!!!!!!

2008 worlds ladies LP was one of the nails in the coffin for the current judging system for me. She was the only skater who gave a truly inspired performance and she placed behind Asada's faceplant and a Kostner doing Bambi on Ice.

Disgraceful.

And was kept off the olympics team twice when she was first the victim of bias and then a victim of fairness.

I couldn't agree with you more. Capriccio Espagnol is always associate with her in my head.

donezo

On the Ice
I always really liked Yukari Nakano. She did get the short end of the stick several times. :cry:

cleo2070

Final Flight
I was glad to see someone mention the Kerrs upthread :love:
And Kevin van der Perren, too, I remember him as constantly improving, was sad when he retired from competition...

(I can't bring myself to mention Verner, as the wounds caused by his retiring are too much for me right now:drama:)

anyanka

Record Breaker
YUKARI NAKANO!!!!!!!!!!!

Disgraceful.

An inspired choice! She should have definitely been on the podium with Yuna in 2008, and one of (but not both of) Mao or Caro. It was too bad that she never got to the Olympics. The crowd definitely agreed with you, they saw her scores and loudly booed the marks which kept her off the podium.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
Okay, I am going to end this once and for all. Although you are right to write someone off at 16 is wrong, the depth of talent of Russia is too strong for Pogorilaya. Medvedeva, Sakhanovich, even Sotskova, all juniors, have better performance quality than Pogorilaya. Although her Phoenix exhibition is enjoyable, it's just that: an exhibition. And I don't think we would enjoy that exhibition as much if it weren't for the costume change. Does ISU allow costume change in regular competitions? I don't think so, but I haven't read into it yet. As for those making cases for Elizaveta, she had plenty of success in her junior years, AND she always had the quality jumps and quality, but it was just a bad year for her like other skaters. I know lots of people wrote her off but I think it's because it was an Olympic year, as opposed to any other. Pogorilaya doesn't really have any of those qualities. And someone mentioned that performance can't be taught. Her coach can yell at her as much as she wants, but if Pogorilaya doesn't want to show emotion, then she wont. Of all the Russians, she is my one of my favorites, but I wouldn't have written her off if I didn't know what I was talking about guys. I didn't mean to start an argument :( Sorry

I don't think this is convincing, though. Yes, she has an uphill battle in future years, but this year she definitely has a shot at a medal. How about we at least wait until after this year's worlds to write her off, eh?

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Stanick Jeannette
Ilia Klimkin

Oh yeah, I always cheered for them when they competed at their few championships. Jeanette never had the chance to go to olympics due to better team mates. Klimkin was at Torino olympics and finished 11th. At least he got a Euro bronze medal.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I would hardly call Takahiko Kozuka a performer, yet he has a Worlds silver medal. "Performance quality" isn't everything. Every skater, and that includes every Russian girl, has strengths and weaknesses. The way some people here zoom in on one perceived weakness and act like it negates the rest of their talent is absurd.