Congratulations to Tanith Belbin & Charlie White! | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Congratulations to Tanith Belbin & Charlie White!

Coltrocks12

On the Ice
As a wedding planner/director/coordinator/artist/director or whatever sorry TontoK your wife did not have anything remotely to do with bridesmaid picking their own dresses. Sorry, lol, she may have been inher crowd of small little world but hardly was she a trendsetter lol. sorry to burst your bubble but I am glad she felt comfortable to do something like that. It takes confidence and really a person though generally you may want some guidelines. I have not seen all the photos but if some bmaid wore a long gown and compared to Meryl's dress which to say it was simple it would be nice well it might not be so complimentary or complementary to the rest of the wedding party and or overall vibe and theme. But the bride and groom are always right and hey can do what they want. sometimes there are some general things that are more aesthetically pleasing to the majority.

I wonder if Meryl has someone who dresses her on ice and such because the dress she wore was not the most flattering color on her, and the dress looked a bit "cheap". I am not saying she had to wear sequins or buble beads but the bmaid dress was a bit well underwhelming and didn't play to her best assets. As people here are uber skating fans I should try speaking in your language. Okay, Meryl fell on a twizzle with her choice of dress. she had no worries of stealing the limelight from tanith who was gorgeous. and there was something loveable about Charlie. Maybe it is he hair or impish grin but he has a little boy look not really a sophisticated debonaire look, even the tie seems a bit unrefined. But Tanith was a fasionista winner (even with the hair extensions - I think she had extensions - why I am not sure as her hair is lovely).

Meryl and her mom do her costumes and it was Tanith that told them all to wear pink. Sometimes as a bridesmaid you have to wear a color that isn't flattering because of what the bride wants. I think she looks great but the pink is a bit too sugary for her darker coloring.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I like Meryl's outfits generally but this dress isn't so nice nor the color on her. Tanith said any shade of pink but the dress looks rather blah if not a bit "skanky" even though Meryl is classy and beautiful. Tanith also said any dress but this dress maybe doesn't photograph well but it is sort of a tankini which is a bit underdressed for a bmaid with a dress that formal and a guy in tux. But really it is about the b and g and their special day and commitment forever!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is kind of sweet and interesting how Charlie and Tanith fell in love when you consider they were once fierce competitors so to speak. I mean really the rise of Davis and White also led to in part the fall of Belbin and Agosto. In 2010 B and A were quickly being passed by D and W and D and W would go on to win silver knocking B and A off the podium Good sports they are. Had the judges sided with B and A well 2010 may have been a different story - certainly B and A had their good qualities.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... it is sort of a tankini which is a bit underdressed for a bmaid with a dress that formal and a guy in tux. ...

To my eyes, Meryl looked elegant and lovely. Not underdressed at all.

(BTW, I don't think you understand the meaning of the word "tankini.")

... But really it is about the b and g and their special day and commitment forever!

:agree:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
It is kind of sweet and interesting how Charlie and Tanith fell in love when you consider they were once fierce competitors so to speak. I mean really the rise of Davis and White also led to in part the fall of Belbin and Agosto. In 2010 B and A were quickly being passed by D and W and D and W would go on to win silver knocking B and A off the podium Good sports they are. Had the judges sided with B and A well 2010 may have been a different story - certainly B and A had their good qualities.
Why would you say that?

Charlie and Meryl are also incredible good people, never trash talking people or diminishing other people achievements with unfounded conspiracy theories, like others "athletes " have done.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Why would you say that?

Charlie and Meryl are also incredible good people, never trash talking people or diminishing other people achievements with unfounded conspiracy theories, like others "athletes " have done.

well there is a happy middle between trash-talking your competitors and dating them! lol It is great it worked out and it is a testament of how intelligent and good people all 4 must be, but you can't deny it must have been an unconventional and weird situation for both pairs given the fact they were Top 1 and 2 in the US. It is already difficult and rare enough to be friends with your competitors, let alone date them!

As a wedding planner/director/coordinator/artist/director or whatever sorry TontoK your wife did not have anything remotely to do with bridesmaid picking their own dresses. Sorry, lol, she may have been inher crowd of small little world but hardly was she a trendsetter lol. sorry to burst your bubble…

Did you read the part of TontoK's post where he says he is kidding about his wife setting the trend?

I don't think TontoK will be inviting you to his spring cotillion. ;)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did you read the part of TontoK's post where he says he is kidding about his wife setting the trend?

Yep, I was joking about her setting the trend... but she did let the bridesmaids pick their own dress. My wife wore a knee length white dress with sparkles on it, not sequins exactly, but it was pretty and modern. Her bridesmaids had been friends for years, and she really wanted them to choose a dress they'd wear again (or to be able to use a nice dress that they already had). I've been to a lot of weddings, but you hardly ever see the bridesmaids in a dress that they're likely to wear again. Of course, it had nothing to do with Tanith's decision, I was just having some fun.

I will, however, allow Skater Boy to come to the spring cotillion. But I'll be keeping a close eye on him, in case he tries to drink from the finger bowls.

humbaba

Final Flight
All the bridesmaids looked beautiful. I love the idea of letting each of them choose her own dress with only the color restriction. Meryl's dress is simple and sophisticated and she looks gorgeous in it.

Last edited:

KKonas

Medalist
I like Meryl's outfits generally but this dress isn't so nice nor the color on her. Tanith said any shade of pink but the dress looks rather blah if not a bit "skanky" even though Meryl is classy and beautiful. Tanith also said any dress but this dress maybe doesn't photograph well but it is sort of a tankini which is a bit underdressed for a bmaid with a dress that formal and a guy in tux. But really it is about the b and g and their special day and commitment forever!

Easy to see you are not a "fashionista." Meryl' dress is not "skanky" but refined and certainly not cheap. As a bridesmaid one doesn't want to outshine the bride, although that would be almost impossible with Tanith as the bride.

well there is a happy middle between trash-talking your competitors and dating them! lol It is great it worked out and it is a testament of how intelligent and good people all 4 must be, but you can't deny it must have been an unconventional and weird situation for both pairs given the fact they were Top 1 and 2 in the US. It is already difficult and rare enough to be friends with your competitors, let alone date them!

Love conquers all. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
For the record:

"Mr. and Mrs. White" is EXACTLY how Charlie's own mother referred to the newlyweds Tanith and Charlie yesterday.

Jacqui White ‏@jacqwhi
Introducing for the first time, Mr and Mrs White https://instagram.com/p/2JRMz8vPVO/
8:45 AM - 1 May 2015
https://twitter.com/jacqwhi/status/594165827693346816

(Mentioning for those who were interested in the general discussion earlier in the thread.)

And btw, IN did not mention that Trevor Young not only was there, but also was a groomsman -- according to another photo from Charlie's mom.

(Just sayin' that IN's list of skaters and former skaters who attended should not be taken as exhaustive. No surprise that Trevor, as CW's former roommate, was at the wedding.)

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

I was joking around too so chill out. Just some fun humour now that I am sure these threads will get more obscure and twisted as all us crazies try to survive without competitive skaters At least I can laugh - if y ou were not an uberr skater fan reading these posts would probably allow most of us to get certified lol:)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think this is a particularly beautiful photo of all the lovely ladies! :love:

Well all the ladies are beautiful but this photo confirms what I thought - a girl in a formal long dress who is not the bride and Meryls dress definitely looks underdressed. the formality levels do not matchup but the b and g (okay bride lol) are always right. And really tanith picked the girls she wanted and that is what counts. So what the dresses are aesthetically to fashion rules,, if you follow them are a bit off.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well all the ladies are beautiful but this photo confirms what I thought - a girl in a formal long dress who is not the bride and Meryls dress definitely looks underdressed. the formality levels do not matchup but the b and g (okay bride lol) are always right. And really tanith picked the girls she wanted and that is what counts. So what the dresses are aesthetically to fashion rules,, if you follow them are a bit off.

Point taken. You can always send a tweet to Meryl and let her know that she dressed down Tanith's wedding with Her terrible bridesmaid fashion. She'll learn for next time! :sarcasm:

Last edited:
For the record:

"Mr. and Mrs. White" is EXACTLY how Charlie's own mother referred to the newlyweds Tanith and Charlie yesterday.

Jacqui White ‏@jacqwhi
Introducing for the first time, Mr and Mrs White https://instagram.com/p/2JRMz8vPVO/
8:45 AM - 1 May 2015
https://twitter.com/jacqwhi/status/594165827693346816

(Mentioning for those who were interested in the general discussion earlier in the thread.)

Although…I couldn't help noticing that Charlie's mom's handle on Twitter is not "Mrs. Charles White, Sr." ;)

Anyway, the picture pays for all!

And btw, IN did not mention that Trevor Young not only was there, but also was a groomsman -- according to another photo from Charlie's mom.

(Just sayin' that IN's list of skaters and former skaters who attended should not be taken as exhaustive. No surprise that Trevor, as CW's former roommate, was at the wedding.)

OT. Here are Charlie and Trevor skating a duet to Dueling Banjos. (Charlie comes on at 1:45.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ey1IxUonQI

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Easy to see you are not a "fashionista." Meryl' dress is not "skanky" but refined and certainly not cheap. As a bridesmaid one doesn't want to outshine the bride, although that would be almost impossible with Tanith as the bride.

I totally disagree. Her dress does not flatter her for a brides maid. Perhaps an overlay of chiffon or organza. There is simple and elegant but it does not match the formality in cut or fabric or length. She is slim and beautiful so she does not come off totally as skanky excuse the expression but it I has a stretch dress. It has too casual of a vibe for theo ther dresses. She is beautiful but the dress is not a fashion winner for weddings. It is not so much it has to be a bridesmaid dress but it should flatter the skin - too light. It should photograph well and the color looks too white but not quite. The cut of the dress is fine perhaps for a guest or another function but not where the other bmaids are wearing a cocktail dress or evening gowns. This is a dress she could wear a denim jacket and flip flops and it would look cute but sadly does not really go with the vibe of the rest of the wedding. Maybe even if it was simple and strapless or the top was say held up by a collar of pearls or crystals. Or if she did not want bling which we know why Tanith didnèt go that route a simple silk sheath would have been more appropriate even if she wanted cocktail length.

A refined fashionista does not need bling I agree but the right cut and fabric and length. This did not make it. she could have gotten away with a short dress perhaps had the formality been upped. You cannot always get those perfect twizzles. Meryl sadly slipped up this time.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice

Having worked in the bridal industry for a few years, I found that the bigger issue with letting bridesmaids choose their own dress was that, inevitably, we'd end up with worried bridesmaids in the store who desperately wanted advice on what would look best. They often would have been happier wearing what they were told to wear. We spent many hours helping bridesmaids compare colors and styles. Thankfully, most of them took length into account. I highly doubt many who got to choose their own dress actually wore it again. I guess it just goes to show that you have to know your bridesmaids and what their comfort level with various styles might be.

Edit to add- I do think most of Tanith's bridesmaids looked lovely. Not so sure about the long dress in concert with the shorter ones.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I totally disagree. Her dress does not flatter her for a brides maid. Perhaps an overlay of chiffon or organza. There is simple and elegant but it does not match the formality in cut or fabric or length. She is slim and beautiful so she does not come off totally as skanky excuse the expression but it I has a stretch dress. It has too casual of a vibe for theo ther dresses. She is beautiful but the dress is not a fashion winner for weddings. It is not so much it has to be a bridesmaid dress but it should flatter the skin - too light. It should photograph well and the color looks too white but not quite. The cut of the dress is fine perhaps for a guest or another function but not where the other bmaids are wearing a cocktail dress or evening gowns. This is a dress she could wear a denim jacket and flip flops and it would look cute but sadly does not really go with the vibe of the rest of the wedding. Maybe even if it was simple and strapless or the top was say held up by a collar of pearls or crystals. Or if she did not want bling which we know why Tanith didnèt go that route a simple silk sheath would have been more appropriate even if she wanted cocktail length.

A refined fashionista does not need bling I agree but the right cut and fabric and length. This did not make it. she could have gotten away with a short dress perhaps had the formality been upped. You cannot always get those perfect twizzles. Meryl sadly slipped up this time.

In your opinion.

Seriously, it's not your wedding and many people in this thread clearly have a different opinion.

Last edited: