2015 Skate America in Milwaukee | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2015 Skate America in Milwaukee

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Frustrating, but expected. Winning OGM at Sochi isn't enough to get the U.S. interested in Ice Dance, so a silver at Worlds matters even less. Almost the same for Pairs. Both of these disciplines rarely get any coverage on TV for the majority of the year.

It's a shock to see no mention of the men, even Jason. I guess everyone is still banking on that next golden girl to save the sport.

I forget where I have seen them, but there are banner ads with Jason's ending pose from Juke (doesn't break my heart);) *and* Chock & Bates. I was surprised and pleased to see C/B instead of Gracie.
Doesn't explain the article:confused:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Frustrating, but expected. Winning OGM at Sochi isn't enough to get the U.S. interested in Ice Dance, so a silver at Worlds matters even less. Almost the same for Pairs. Both of these disciplines rarely get any coverage on TV for the majority of the year.

It's a shock to see no mention of the men, even Jason. I guess everyone is still banking on that next golden girl to save the sport.

Someone needs to shake them and tell them (By them, I mean the media) about that C/B were the only Americans to medal at Worlds last year, though Gracie was only less than 3 points shy of bronze.

hom21732

Spectator
I'm not all event ticketer, but I want watch practice session omg. Practice session will be sale?? Or open to public??

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I'm not all event ticketer, but I want watch practice session omg. Practice session will be sale?? Or open to public??

The website for SA states: "All-event ticket packages include access to all practice sessions including access on Thursday, Oct. 22." (this is typical)

Individual event tickets are on sale now, but there is no mention of Thursday's practice session.

hom21732

Spectator
I'm so angry because the milwaukee ticket box said "no longer sale all event package" so l bought single session but today they sale all event pakage.... omg
Can I refund single session? I wanna buy all event ticket ㅠㅡㅠ

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Contact them directly. I'm sure the all event is more expensive and they will be happy to refund you and have you pay for the more expensive thing.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I'm sure the all event is more expensive and they will be happy to refund you and have you pay for the more expensive thing.

Well, depends on whether they bought tickets for all 5 sessions (which is included in the all-event). Individual session tickets will definitely cost you more money than an all-event pass for the same type of seating, especially since Ticketmaster will charge you a separate service fee for each ticket, as opposed to just $5 for the entire all-event pass.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I'm at the Hilton, Fri-Sun. I will probably arrive earlier than that for Thursday's practice, but haven't booked that night yet.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No. I'm staying at the official hotel (Hilton Milwaukee or something of that nature. Not a Doubletree, just a Hilton. The information is in the official hotel thread in the SA forum.)

Oh. Me and my dad are staying at the Hyatt because he wants to be at the closest hotel to the venue as possible.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I'm at the Hilton, Fri-Sun. I will probably arrive earlier than that for Thursday's practice, but haven't booked that night yet.

Me too! I don't know when we're flying in, but I think Thursday. At Nats we missed all but the last skater of the ladies SP because our flight was delayed two hours, so I would hope we were going Thursday to make sure that won't happen again. (Stuff starts on Friday.)

Also, I'm learning how to say "Hello," "Can I have your autograph," and "Thank you" in Russian, Korean and Japanese, in case I run across Yulia, So-Youn or Satoko :laugh: I hope Google translate is accurate!

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Also, I'm learning how to say "Hello," "Can I have your autograph," and "Thank you" in Russian, Korean and Japanese, in case I run across Yulia, So-Youn or Satoko :laugh: I hope Google translate is accurate!

For basic stuff like greetings, it might be... but even something like "Can I have your autograph" could get botched by Google. I'd look elsewhere (even YouTube), they are probably more accurate.

I'm driving to Milwaukee, so no concerns about flight delays. It's the only reason I haven't booked earlier than Friday yet.

Oh. Me and my dad are staying at the Hyatt because he wants to be at the closest hotel to the venue as possible.

I thought this was odd too. The Hyatt is super close to the venue, while the Hilton is quite a hike. I guess it's because Hilton is the official hotel for US Figure Skating.

Layback11

Record Breaker
For basic stuff like greetings, it might be... but even something like "Can I have your autograph" could get botched by Google. I'd look elsewhere (even YouTube), they are probably more accurate.

Okay, because my Spanish teacher always warned us never to use Google because it made a lot of grammar mistakes from not understanding the context. She said to use a Spanish-English dictionary instead...maybe I could find Russian-English and Japanese-English ones?

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Okay, because my Spanish teacher always warned us never to use Google because it made a lot of grammar mistakes from not understanding the context. She said to use a Spanish-English dictionary instead...maybe I could find Russian-English and Japanese-English ones?

A dictionary may not understand context either, especially when it comes to forming coherent sentence structure.

There are tons of websites & apps that offer basic language lessons aimed at tourists (some are free, some aren't)... they will probably give you most of what you are looking for.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Try word reference.com. They have good online dictionaries but also forums used by translators. They might help you out. You could also try starting a thread (like the stupid questions thread) here or on FSU because I know we have quite a few people with language expertise. It could be a place where anyone could ask, "how do I say X in Portuguese ". Or whatever. Sometimes you can even find sites that will give you little clips with correct pronunciation.

ETA I'm going and am staying at the Hilton. I will be driving.

Last edited:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
I was going to say that, if you only want those 3 simple phrases, I am sure some lovely posters here would check you have the right wording and tell you how to stress the words.