Unattractive Choreography | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Unattractive Choreography

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's not necessarily ugly choreography, but as much as I love Yuzu's skating, whenever he does his Biellmann, I cringe b/c it looks so awkward. I mean kudos to him for doing it b/c most men can't but it's not pleasing to the eye.

Yeah, it's looked smoother in the past. I feel the same about Plushenko's Biellmann - so strained and awkward. Michael-Christian has an excellent one, but the best and I guess you could say "true" two-hands on the blade Biellmann is Miroshkin's http://i.imgur.com/BWLr8qT.gif :love:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I do agree about Sandhu, that guy had a way of making everything look good. I've heard A spin a lot, but why deny a person the chance to use the word "butt" in an otherwise intelligent conversation? :laugh:

Eman had the best A spin on the planet. Watch his final combination spin. Ross Miner attempts this spin as well but, he doesn't do it early as well as Sandhu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOSV7VdHEQs

Last edited:

anyanka

Record Breaker
I don't like the squat (knees spread) Gracie does in the first step sequence in Firebird.

I realize it's supposed to be a modern dance movement but it just looks awkward and comical to me, and no matter what face she gives to express herself it just looks odd.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Every time I think of ugly choreography, I flash back to every single program Surya Bonaly ever did.

:slink:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Every time I think of ugly choreography, I flash back to every single program Surya Bonaly ever did.

Surya's programs are the perfect example of not caring about being that pretty little ice princess. Her choreo suffered for it, but she's a legend for not ascribing to that typical mould, and in fact it made her stand out (in good and bad ways).

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
It's not choreography but I have a problem with the 3something-1loop-3something. Imo there are only a few skaters who can make this look good (I watched a few times figure skating with people not really into figure skating and I can't blame them for the fact that they thought the 1loop was actually a mistake)

anyanka

Record Breaker
Surya's programs are the perfect example of not caring about being that pretty little ice princess. Her choreo suffered for it, but she's a legend for not ascribing to that typical mould, and in fact it made her stand out (in good and bad ways).

I hear ya, and despite not liking her presentation the jumps were awesome and her backflip was simply peerless. bet you she can still land it on one leg today!

BlackPack

Medalist
Though the Russian pair (S/K) won the Grand Prix final, I was not crazy about some of the choreography in their program - in particular the lifts. One of the poses is quite ugly. It kind of looks like her legs are "scissor like" or an X. It's hard to describe. Anyway, I did not find I liked their program that much. Anyone else feel this way or any other program you find ugly?

I do agree that S&K's lifts are kind of lame but they do get their credit.

My favorite pairs lifts were performed by G&G, Shen & Zhao, Kovarikova and Novotny, even Sale and Pelletier. In terms of aesthetics and technical difficulty, those pairs perfected the lifts in spades.

In today's pairs skating, it's like there's a rule for mandatory ugliness.

No pointed toes. Instead of long, simple lines, it's now convoluted lines and "too much visual exposure to certain private anatomical parts." Since when was ugliness equated with technical difficulty?:palmf:

But I'm very excited to see Stolbova and Klimov go in a different direction. There's a lot of modern dance choreography. I guess we have to accept that Gordeeva's litheness is a thing of the past. No matter what is done, Stolbova and Duhamel's limbs aren't going to suddenly grow longer. The classical Russian lines are no longer there, but at least the moves are really interesting and refreshing to see.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I like some of S/K's lifts, but wish they would exhibit some sort of extension (like their one-legged Biellmann split lift from last season).

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
I think Radionova's little awkward half donut half sotnikova thingy in her combo spin after the bent leg camel is the most awful thing in the world :(

Also, Lipnitskaya's choregraphy is pretty bland also. I wanna refer back to what someone said earlier too, a lot people's choreagraphy is interchangeable ;(

noskates

Record Breaker

AMEN!!!! She didn't have to be a pretty little ice princess to have decent choreography. Unfortunately it oozed into the few professional gigs she did. I always felt like she was a gymnast with blades on her feet. Her positions and lines were just too athletic lacking grace and smoothness.

Coming late to this party but referring back to the first post - I thought several of the Russian's lifts were just plain ugly. At first I thought maybe she messed up and that's what was left, but.....oh my!!!

And as I've said before - there isn't a Bielmann in the world done by anybody that is attractive.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Yeah the past 2 seasons everything by Lipnitskaia is just awful. I'm truly starting to feel that she was carried by her programs(especially LP) during the 2013-2014 season. She can't make the atmosphere if the music doesn't hand it to her...

I hadn't paid any attention to this but yes, Radionova's bent leg camel into whatever strange thing she's trying to do is rather unpleasant aesthetically. Actually, my favorite Sotnikova spin is currently Nugumanova's. It's much better than Sotnikova's in my opinion.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
You really don't like Gracie we get it..:sarcasm:

Gold has a weird chicken arm flapping movement in her FS. That's a fact. It has nothing to do with liking Gold or not. Defensive much?

I like Tukt alot and I still think her programs are laughably bad this season.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
It's not a good season to be a fan of Russian figure skating(program-wise). Tuktamysheva - awful. Sotnikova - awful. Lipnitskaia - awful. Radionova - worst of all. Medvedeva really stands out in this regard, hers are some of the better ones we've seen in recent years.

Extremely pronounced and out-of-place arm flailing in general is something I find distracting and it's been bothering me more and more in especially Radionova's skating, but generally Lipnitskaia's as well. Some of the skaters really seem like they are attempting to take off as their planet needs them.

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
It's not a good season to be a fan of Russian figure skating(program-wise). Tuktamysheva - awful. Sotnikova - awful. Lipnitskaia - awful. Radionova - worst of all. Medvedeva really stands out in this regard, hers are some of the better ones we've seen in recent years.

Extremely pronounced and out-of-place arm flailing in general is something I find distracting and it's been bothering me more and more in especially Radionova's skating, but generally Lipnitskaia's as well. Some of the skaters really seem like they are attempting to take off as their planet needs them.

Uh, explain =)
The fact you don't like a program doesnt make it bad
For example, Sots programs are pretty good.
Nobody cares about Radio's programs, because she sells them =)
Lips programs are not on level of her Schindler's List, but still quite ok-ish.
As for arm flailing, Gracie is the Queen of it, so make sure you add her to the list =)

It is never a good season to be fan of russian figre skating, because there are always the irrational people who don't bother proving or comparing with other skaters, just go russian=terrible.

Last edited:

qwertyskates

Medalist
To me, there isn't really an "ugly" position, it's how it is done. I'd take "memorable" over "bland forgettable pretty" anytime. I actually like Gracie's LP, however, Firebird is an epic composition and it is very difficult to hit the notes and the changes in tempo. My problem with Gracie's performance is that not only is it too literal in some parts, she was too balletic while Firebird is a modern "fracas" piece, she was too slow and the music was bigger than the skater.

Classical music is truly difficult to skate to, unlike modern music where there is a base, a background rhythm, as well as a melody, and the skater can pick up on ether, allowing more room for pacing, choreography, etc. Ashley's LP is a good example.

Gracie's SP was brilliant and perfectly suited her.

Jin's LP was the only one where there were truly awful moments...really poor choreography, unfortunately! Hope he gets a better vehicle next season.

Last edited: