Unattractive Choreography | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Unattractive Choreography

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Uh, explain =)
The fact you don't like a program doesnt make it bad
For example, Sots programs are pretty good.
Nobody cares about Radio's programs, because she sells them =)
Lips programs are not on level of her Schindler's List, but still quite ok-ish.
As for arm flailing, Gracie is the Queen of it, so make sure you add her to the list =)

It is never a good season to be fan of russian figre skating, because there are always the irrational people who don't bother proving or comparing with other skaters, just go russian=terrible.

Actually you're correct, Gold's flapping is very jarring. Might place her over Radionova on the list. I love skaters who make slower, planned moves with an aim and otherwise keep the arms out of the way.

Well, programs are just opinions but I really have difficulty believing someone would like especially Radionova's FS. And note, I'm saying this as a big Radionova fan... But if she will not make some changes, I'm not sure how long that's going to last. Mm it's like this commentator said: "The program is going to get old very fast and she's going to have to be perfect and sell it very convincingly if she wants it to be able to be taken seriously" or something.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Can we start an Unattractive Costume thread? Seriously, I've seen some hideous costumes this year. I don't know much about this young man but, he's been making quite a splash this season. What bothers me about this costume is the neck line. Here's my other question. Do skaters share costume designers? If so, people need to hunt down Yagudin's old costumer because he always looked really good. :points:

Nathan Chen's LP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ2IQR2M2ts

moriel

Record Breaker
Can we start an Unattractive Costume thread? Seriously, I've seen some hideous costumes this year. I don't know much about this young man but, he's been making quite a splash this season. What bothers me about this costume is the neck line. Here's my other question. Do skaters share costume designers? If so, people need to hunt down Yagudin's old costumer because he always looked really good. :points:

Please do =D
I want Tukt to be awarded a medal for that horrid SP costume please.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I humbly disagree

It is not about not liking Gracie... But her programs this season just dont fit her at all, and look really awkward

That poster really seems to down non Russian skaters a lot which bothers me a bit but not much. To each his own. Que sera sera. No problems. Gracie is fast and can correction spelling skate to jazz, Latin style current sp, classical princess a la 2014 or Russian ballet composers. She has one major issue that has kept her off the top and it has nothing to do with versatility or ability across the board.

I can understand any and all of us getting frustrated that she has perfect practices like Cohen did,we would hear then simply make stupid mistakes out of nerves. I blame Frank for always looking so serious. Goldie needs time with a mentor named Danny Kwan. It ain't brain surgery dear and have fun. Danny imbued his girls with this. Gracie needs to find the love of skating and decide it's just a sport and then we will see her on the world podium and hopefully Olympics as well. She has it all in spades. She needs to get Alex to go to comps with her and she should return to him if Frank does retire. I think he just might if Gracie under performs at worlds. She is a very good firebird. She does not have soft classical arms like a dancer or like Yuna had - perfect arms but even Yuna had all the leg line issues slow spins spirals with bent leg but she won because it is a jumping game. Gracie can do these jumps and all the rest and perform. I'm so tired of the sheetple repeating she isn't musical. Her arms are more like Brian Boitanos than Sasha Cohens at times but that her training and style choice. I like it on her as she's a great blend of athlete and good presentations.

It is a good program and needs a few tweaks. I think she should do what Chan, Ashley and others have done and that is skate her most favorite again next year. Maybe this firebird needs two seasons. Frank and Lorie know what the judges want and don't want. And like Ashlie's Moulin rouge Gracie needs a program she loves and relates to and do a second season of it. She needs this because she cannot truly relax and these jumps are split second timing. Satoko is (sorry correction auto fill and a messed up iPad ) calm and look where she is with those tiny jumps. She is a great competitor.

Gracie needs to get in the medals at the gp final and worlds next year and ice over like Kwan like Yuna like Witt. I know Gracie has fans pulling for her over the world. She and Ashley did a great job really in Sochi so they both can handle a big event. I hope Gracie knows many of us believe in her. I don't want to criticize Flatt who I admire and respect greatly and Rachael did a decent job with The Firebird. Gracie is a thousand percent more talented and stunning body face etc. if only Gracie could find that calm that Flatt always had. If you read here Gracie we are mostly fans and we do believe in you. I do anyway.:agree:

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Please do =D
I want Tukt to be awarded a medal for that horrid SP costume please.

I agree with his comment. I never really paid that much attention until 2001 I was at my second World Championship in Canada. Do you guys remember Viktoria Volchkova. She skated in the final group which was stacked with, Michelle Kwan, Angela Nikodinov. Sarah Hughes, Irina Slutskaya, and Maria Butyrskaya. She was packaged like a member of the "Go Go's" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBKW0xqgZtg

Ophelia

Record Breaker
That poster really seems to down non Russian skaters a lot which bothers me a bit but not much. To each his own. Que sera sera. No problems. Gracie is fast and can't skate to jazz, Latin style current sp, classical princess a la 2014 or Russian ballet composers. She has one major issue that has kept her of the top and it has nothing to do with versatility or ability across the board.

Where are the receipts?

This is the "unattractive choreography" thread. Not "whose programs have artistic range" thread.

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
That poster really seems to down non Russian skaters a lot which bothers me a bit but not much. To each his own. Que sera sera. No problems. Gracie is fast and can't skate to jazz, Latin style current sp, classical princess a la 2014 or Russian ballet composers. She has one major issue that has kept her of the top and it has nothing to do with versatility or ability across the board.

I can understand any and all of us getting frustrated that she has perfect practices like Cohen did we would hear then simply make stupid mistakes out of nerves. I blame Frank for always looking so serious. Goldie needs time with a mentor named Danny Kwan. It ain't brain surgery dear and have fun. Danny imbued his girls with this. Gracie needs to find the love of skating and decide it's just a sport and then we will see her on the world podium and hopefully Olympics as well. She has it all in spades. She needs to get Alex to go to comps with her and she should return to him if Frank dies retire. I think he just might if Gracie under performs at worlds. She is a very good firebird. She does not have soft classical arms like a dancer but Yuna had all the leg line issues slow spins spirals with bent leg but she won because it is a jumping game. Gracie can do these jumps and all the rest and perform. I'm so tired of the sheetlet repeating she isn't musical. Her arms are more like Brian Boitanos than Sasha Cohen but that her training and style choice. I like it on her as she's a great blend of athlete and good presentations.

It is a good program and needs a few tweaks. I think she should do what Chan Ashley and others have done and that is skate her love again next year. Frank and Lorie know what the judges want and don't want. And like Ashlie's Moulin rouge Gracie needs a program she loves and relates to and do a second season of it. She needs to get in the medals at the gp final and worlds next year and ice over like Kwan like Yuna like Witt. I know Gracie has fans pulling for her over the world. She and Ashley did a great job really in Sochi so they both can handle a big event. I hope Gracie knows many of us believe in her. I don't want to criticize Flatt who I admire and respect greatly and Rachael did a decent job with The Firebird. Gracie is a thousand percent more talented and stunning body face etc. if only Gracie could. Find that calm that Flatt always had. If you read here Gracie we are mostly fans and we do believe in you. I do anyway.:agree:

Awww just because I don't like Gracie's programs this year and think she should have taken the athetic path?
Her SP this year does not fit her, as she is not sexy and is pretty stiff - which makes her look like a nerdy girl dancing tango. Compare with Ashley or Adelina.
Her LP - well, as people said already, that choreo is just plain weird, and the music is not easy either. Dunno which is the problem really, but it doesnt works for many people.

And that coming from a sure that downs russian skaters which boths me but not too much =)

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker

The costume designer that needs to be hunted down for the men is Todd Eldredge's - Todd was generally very simplistic but had almost no mis-steps on his costumes.

mrrice

Record Breaker
The costume designer that needs to be hunted down for the men is Todd Eldredge's - Todd was generally very simplistic but had almost no mis-steps on his costumes.

Todd Doesn't Count.........He has a perfect body.....Seriously. You can't tell on TV however, Todd has the BEST legs and his butt is only rivaled by Adam Rippon. People could learn a ton of things from Todd.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Radionova's little awkward half donut half sotnikova thingy in her combo spin after the bent leg camel is the most awful thing in the world

Thank GOD she stop doing Sotnikova's and Yuna's camel spins. They were truely aweful. I generally hate all the broken leg positions. I tend to like most people's Sotnikova camel variation though EXCEPT Radionova's :disagree:

And illusion spins. Outside of Sotnikova, no one should do it. Some people look they they will body slam into the ice at any moment. Or they look like they are using it as a self defense move to ward off an attack. I aignt gonna lie, I have to brace myself at times :hopelessness: Talk about ugly.

And the Charlotte spiral. Adelina's and Michelle's are nice. Gold and Wagner, not so much.

Biellmann: Kolyada, Yuzu, Tutk, Sakhanovich, Plushy NO! MCM, Miroshkin, Radionova YES!!! :luv17:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank GOD she stop doing Sotnikova's and Yuna's camel spins. They were truely aweful. I generally hate all the broken leg positions. I tend to like most people's Sotnikova camel variation though EXCEPT Radionova's :disagree:

And illusion spins. Outside of Sotnikova, no one should do it. Some people look they they will body slam into the ice at any moment. Or they look like they are using it as a self defense move to ward off an attack. I aignt gonna lie, I have to brace myself at times :hopelessness: Talk about ugly.

And the Charlotte spiral. Adelina's and Michelle's are nice. Gold and Wagner, not so much.

Biellmann: Kolyada, Yuzu, Tutk, Sakhanovich, Plushy NO! MCM, Miroshkin, Radionova YES!!! :luv17:

ETA: Do we have an ugly spins thread? Everybody's I spin is ugly except MCM. Much prefer what Mao and Evgenia do (Y spin?). Mao's pointed toe is to die for!

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Todd Doesn't Count.........He has a perfect body.....Seriously. You can't tell on TV however, Todd has the BEST legs and his butt is only rivaled by Adam Rippon. People could learn a ton of things from Todd.

What? Better than Poje? I saw him live at SA and I couldn't stare at anything except that! Lol!!!

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have no idea who Poje is but.......That comment was awesome. KABOOM!!!!!!!:laugh2:

Oops, not Poje but the other Canadian dancer who skates with Piper. OMG, I've never seen anything more beautiful!!! My eyes literally went like this :eek:

Eta: It's Poirier!!! Paul Poirier!!! :yahoo: :love: :luv17:

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oops, not Poje but the other Canadian dancer who skates with Piper. OMG, I've never seen anything more beautiful!!! My eyes literally went like this :eek:

Eta: It's Poirier!!! Paul Poirier!!! :yahoo: :love: :luv17:

Holy Cow!! It's Iron Man on skates. He looks like Robert Downey JR........:agree:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
What an unexpected turn in this thread... people discussing dancer's butts and all :laugh2:

Anyway, more offtopic: I always was curious why some people like Ice Dance much more than other FS disciplines (like I do), and some can't stand it, find it boring and all (and don't even know the names of top skaters, like Poje or Poirier).
It's like fanbase divided in two halfs: pro-ice dance fans, and pro-single skating and pairs skating fans. What is the reason??? I think it's a very interesting thing to discuss.

It's like fanbase divided in two halfs: pro-ice dance fans, and pro-single skating and pairs skating fans. What is the reason??? I think it's a very interesting thing to discuss.

Do you think it is the sport versus art thing? Ice dancing is pretty. Leaping into the air and rotating four times is athletic. You pay your money and you take your choice. :laugh:

andromache

Record Breaker
What an unexpected turn in this thread... people discussing dancer's butts and all :laugh2:

Anyway, more offtopic: I always was curious why some people like Ice Dance much more than other FS disciplines (like I do), and some can't stand it, find it boring and all (and don't even know the names of top skaters, like Poje or Poirier).

I think part of it is that, IMO, it's way harder to tell in ice dance when someone skates well or skates badly. I enjoy ice dance but there's not much I can say about it beyond what programs I completely subjectively like best and if twizzles look spot-on or if movements look pretty. If a team misses a ton of levels on things? I have no idea!

I love all the disciplines, but ice dance is the one I know the least about by faaaaar.