Spectacular Chan mines gold in Taipei | Golden Skate

Spectacular Chan mines gold in Taipei

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Patrick Chan of Canada mined gold in Taipei with a spectacular performance as the 2016 ISU Four Continents Championships, which wraps up today. The silver medal went to China’s quad king Boyang Jin, while teammate Han Yan claimed the bronze.

More

“I think it is a mix of frustration and just happiness and joy of finally being able to put my practice programs on competition day,” Chan explained regarding his emotional reaction. “It’s been such a hard week for me since the first day in practice, but I didn’t panic.”

“I competed for the first time at the Four Continents and therefore I felt I was competing against myself mainly,” said Jin.

“After taking three times the bronze at this event, hopefully next time I’ll get at least the silver,” Yan joked.
:biggrin:

What are your thoughts on the men's competition?

melmel

On the Ice
I just finished watching it (while doing Perdita's judging sheet :D) and Patrick was def above with his FS. Boyang improved a lot his landings and his jumps are still incredibly impressive. I'm very happy for Han Yan to be back and for skating clean :D A bit sad for Shoma to be pushed out of the podium but not really mad.

Very good comeback from Patrick. And congrats for passing the 200 points barre !

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
…while Boyang Jin smelted silver and Han Yan alloyed bronze. :)

Boyang comes closest to a gold medal than all the other skaters named Gold aka Jin and Kim, including Gracie, Yang, Jin Seo, Na Hyun, Ju Sik and Rebeka.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
To me, Patrick's performance was otherworldly.

I was actually tense the whole time because it was soooo amazing that I was imagining an error marring it. But after it was over... wow. Was better watching it the second time because then I knew he was clean and could appreciate the overall skating and details.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I admit I didn't think he had it in him but did he peak too soon? still can't beat Hanyu. But I think Fernandes is given far too much credit for pcs.

lyndichee

Medalist
I admit I didn't think he had it in him but did he peak too soon? still can't beat Hanyu. But I think Fernandes is given far too much credit for pcs.

This isn't his peak as he still had errors in the short program. It was an amazing free skate but once Patrick hits the SP then he can make the 300 club.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
This isn't his peak as he still had errors in the short program. It was an amazing free skate but once Patrick hits the SP then he can make the 300 club.

True, unfortunately since judges are handing out scores generously now. A one quad-one 3A (with no bonus) SP getting over 100? That's...questionable scoring.

lyndichee

Medalist
True, unfortunately since judges are handing out scores generously now. A one quad-one 3A (with no bonus) SP getting over 100? That's...questionable scoring.

I don't think he'll get over 100 in the SP. What I meant would be with a perfect SP and FS he should get 300 total.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
After 3 bronzes for Yan, I really want him to get gold next time...but a bronze at Worlds will do just fine for me. --let me dream a bit. :biggrin:

Han Yan was cool as a cucumber out there, He strolled onto the ice like he owned the arena.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I propped open my eyelids on toothpicks to stay up to watch this on NBCSN at midnight, and was it ever worth it! That was the best performance I have ever seen from Patrick Chan! Just wonderful :love:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Congrats to PChan. That was really some LP! Worlds just got more exciting. Not to take anything away from that, but the pressure was off though. I think that might've helped him focus. I found the KC adorable. I think I've never seen him look that happy after a win. Must've meant a lot to him. (And his coach who people love to diss, for whatever reason, her reaction at him winning was awesome)

noskates

Record Breaker
I have never seen a more perfect free skate. At no time did I feel like it was all going to come crashing down. He was in command from the first jump. People can criticize his music or criticize his costume. Some even criticize his supposed lack of emotion - which I've never understood. But you can't deny he laid that program down! He killed it! He was SOOOO into that performance. There are even those that think he doesn't care that much anymore - just look at the expressions on his face at the end of the program. Look at him in the K&C. That is a man who cares deeply. I hope he can repeat this performance at Worlds where (1) I can see it in person; and (2) maybe we can veer a titch away from "who has the most quads wins!" Patrick is a complete skater and the style of skating that I appreciate after watching figure skating since Peggy Fleming won the Olympics!

LauraV

On the Ice
That was an exquisite performance from Patrick. Every moment was devoted to the complete expression of the music. Just beautiful. Congratulations to Patrick and his team.

Kudos also to Boyang Jin (who is making clear strides in improving his presentation) and Han Yan, for his superb command of the ice - better than ever, as far as I can recall.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

His SP could still improve. And who knows if Hanyu peaked too soon - he already had bad skates at Japan Nationals following his brilliant NHK/GPF. (Not to mention, Chan already has beaten Hanyu this season.. :p)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have never seen a more perfect free skate. At no time did I feel like it was all going to come crashing down. He was in command from the first jump. People can criticize his music or criticize his costume. Some even criticize his supposed lack of emotion - which I've never understood. But you can't deny he laid that program down! He killed it! He was SOOOO into that performance. There are even those that think he doesn't care that much anymore - just look at the expressions on his face at the end of the program. Look at him in the K&C. That is a man who cares deeply. I hope he can repeat this performance at Worlds where (1) I can see it in person; and (2) maybe we can veer a titch away from "who has the most quads wins!" Patrick is a complete skater and the style of skating that I appreciate after watching figure skating since Peggy Fleming won the Olympics!

I think a lot of the public and the posters here look for the flamboyancy and drama of say toller Cranston or Johnny Weir or Daisuke Takahashi -they were extroverts and played their programs in a very aggressively extrovert way. I note the word sublime has been used Patrick's fs. It is elegant, subtle, understated. He is far more conservative or introverted but that doesn't mean lack of performance or artisty despite lack of quads there is a rare purity kind of like John Curry in some ways but then you didn't have to do much - now you have to hold that line and get ready to jump again.(I have had a few days off and been look at the history of skating - wow things have changed) He kind of reminds of me of Jeffrey Buttle a divine skater who too was more introverted. To a point Michelle Kwan and Maria Butyrskaya had that quiet elegance and artistry. And then Patrick does have the physical issues in respect to his eyes - I think we have to give him full credit. Sorry Hanyu, Chan may not have the difficult but that is pure wonderful, unmatched skating. No gimmicks, no sequins (ok if you look very closely I think he had some sparkles in that jersey he wore in the fs)no unnecessary moves - just pure wonderful figure skating - like Curry. Emotion has been created - think of G and G in 1994 and their simple outfits - just pure wonderful skating and edges. No convoluted story which really is just an attempt to get points to say I m artistic because I am acting out Carmen for the millionth time or I am a soldier looking for my love and the list goes on. people will disagree of course that is the nature of this site lol but I still think despite the lack of tech Chan's performance should be considered a rarity, a masterpiece and perhaps the ultimate example of fine skating. Maybe this was the male version of Kwan when she was on except Chan has better skating skills and his jumps more amplitude.