Spectacular Chan mines gold in Taipei | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Spectacular Chan mines gold in Taipei

melmel

On the Ice
I don't think having no sparkles/sequins or tons of it make any difference in a way a skater skates... :sarcasm:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't think having no sparkles/sequins or tons of it make any difference in a way a skater skates... :sarcasm:

IMHO simplicity in costume allows to look at purity of lines and focus on the skating itself. too much puffy, sparkles, sequins and feathers distract me. A lot of people have actually made fun of Patrick's simpler costumes this year... but I personally like them so much since it shows off his amazing lines. So in that sense, I am agreeing with skaterboy : understated costume, introverted skating... but deep deep connection with music where every move is meaningful. Weir said something like "Patrick knows how to fill the quiet moments in the music" and I agree with that too.... The transition from the etude to the e minor prelude is very much like that. Pure, deep, emotion.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
As far as I'm concerned Patrick's MTK is a Takahashi rip-off program...and it does't work, that's for sure. And unless I'm mistaken, technical excellence is the other half of the score. Patrick Chan does not have the technical quality and purity of Yuzuru Hanyu...

melmel

On the Ice
IMHO simplicity in costume allows to look at purity of lines and focus on the skating itself. too much puffy, sparkles, sequins and feathers distract me. A lot of people have actually made fun of Patrick's simpler costumes this year... but I personally like them so much since it shows off his amazing lines. So in that sense, I am agreeing with skaterboy : understated costume, introverted skating... but deep deep connection with music where every move is meaningful. Weir said something like "Patrick knows how to fill the quiet moments in the music" and I agree with that too.... The transition from the etude to the e minor prelude is very much like that. Pure, deep, emotion.

Well I guess I'm the kind of person to whom it makes absolutely no difference. If the costume is on par with the skating, the choreography and the music it can be as fluffy, sparkly or sober as it can that's fine by me. (like I actually prefer Machida's fluffier and sparklier costume for his Firebird because to me it matches the theme better. And I'm probably the only one who has absolutely no problems with Tuktamysheva FS costume this year)

padme21

On the Ice
Why bring up Hanyu? This thread is supposed to be about Chan. On a side note: there's nothing wrong with Hanyu wearing sequins. It doesn't make him any less of a skater than Chan.

Last edited:

YagsFan

On the Ice
Well! I just watched my recording of the men's free skate from 4 CC. (I almost missed it----actually did miss about half---by not realizing what channel it was on.) Anyway, . . . I've read through all these comments, and all I can say is I agree with every single laudatory thing any of you have said about Patrick Chan's free skate:) It was enchanting, so fluid, so perfectly melded with the music. At one point, I said out loud (to no one but my disinterested dog) that it seemed Chan was playing the piano with his skating. I don't think I've ever seen a skate that perfectly matched to every note of the music! I will also say that I have never been a fanatical Chan fan---appreciated and enjoyed him, but not as much as some past greats---but I also said aloud while watching this, that if he didn't win the competition after this, I would stop watching men's skating! (not that I think "skating" would be distressed to lose me, lol) Had I been judging, btw, I would have had the podium 1)Chan 2)Han Yan 3)Boyang Jin. Jin's technical skills are certainly amazing, but, to me, nothing much else was there, whereas I found Yan's overall command of the ice and presentation, along with perfectly fine skill to be more impressive.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I don't get this incredible love for Han Yan. Most of his movements and programs seem very lackadaisical to me...

mrrice

Record Breaker

Yes it does!!!!! Believe me it does and that's what makes Patrick so very special. The lack of frills helps the audience and the judges to stay focused on Patrick's Skating and when he skates like this. He's unbeatable and deservedly so......:points: Sparkles??? What are sparkles.....;)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I finally got around to watching the Men's 4CC competition and once again Patrick gave a Master Class
in skating. Absolutely fabulous! He has had a tough comeback season but he is heading in the right
direction. Congrats to him on his Gold Medal performance and good luck to him in Boston!

mrrice

Record Breaker
For those of you lucky enough to be going to a practice session at Worlds. Try this game that my dorky friends and I made up. It's the "Who Blades Just Went By" Game. You close your eyes and then guess by the sound, which skater just went past you. Patrick became a joke by the end because he was louder than the skaters who were right in front us....I'm sure he must have heard because by the end of the session. We basically screamed "Patrick" for every skater that went by.

OMG, that was a fun day.

mrrice

Record Breaker
To me, Patrick's performance was otherworldly.

I'd like to know what Kathy's pointing at in that picture? She looks like she's never seen Patrick get a big a score before. Geeze....Even I wasn't shocked enough to point at my TV. Maybe she's saying hi to someone she hasn't seen in a long time. That's a weird picture. The best part.....Look at how calm Patrick is sitting next her.

Last edited:

padme21

On the Ice
Yes it does!!!!! Believe me it does and that's what makes Patrick so very special. The lack of frills helps the audience and the judges to stay focused on Patrick's Skating and when he skates like this. He's unbeatable and deservedly so......:points: Sparkles??? What are sparkles.....;)

To you it makes a difference not to everyone. When I watch a skater like Fernandez or Hanyu skate I watch their movement and flow across the ice. I care most about the performance I don't think costume should matter in the overall experience of the performance.
(Unless it's immodest aka too revealing)

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
As far as I'm concerned Patrick's MTK is a Takahashi rip-off program...and it does't work , that's for sure. And unless I'm mistaken, technical excellence is the other half of the score. Patrick Chan does not have the technical quality and purity of Yuzuru Hanyu...

Sorry Max, what was that, ...could you repeat? I could not hear you over all the Chopin music in the background. And we love our Chopin!

mrrice

Record Breaker
To you it makes a difference not to everyone. When I watch a skater like Fernandez or Hanyu skate I watch their movement and flow across the ice. I care most about the performance I don't think costume should matter in the overall experience of the performance.

Believe it or not. You're proving my point. What I'm saying is that Patrick's "Lack Of Frills" places more focus on his superior skating skills. I agree that most costumes don't matter. I'm definitely more put off by "Over The Top" costuming than I am with Patrick's "less Is More" approach.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

It's never about the feathers, ....padme!

It's about a skater connecting to a piece of music on ice. Patrick's skated as if he himself was the piano. I have never seen him or possibly any skater, as connected as he was to this piece. Exquisite!

mrrice

Record Breaker

It's about a skater connecting to a piece of music on ice. Patrick's skated as if he himself was the piano. I have never seen him or possibly any skater, as connected as he was to this piece. Exquisite!

Patrick is a rare skater. He is as connected to his programs as the best musician is to his music. He's also a gifted athlete with the stamina to end his programs looking as fresh as a daisy. For me however, his ability to combine all of his skills and look like he was born in ballet studio, is what ties him with Plushy as my "All Time" favorite Male skater. Knocking my Partners favorite, Brian Boitano off the top spot.

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I'm definitely more put off by "Over The Top" costuming than I am with Patrick's "less Is More" approach.

I am with you, one feedback I gave to Chinese figure skating fan community after I observed Han's SA performance is that, maybe he needs better costuming, not just a long Johns kinda T shirt (I am aware that he is going for this under-stated elegance style), :biggrin: Then I watched Patrick's gorgeous SC FS performances, and I went nuts. I thought Patrick's long johns costume is even uglier than Han's. but when Patrick is on, who cares about what he wears.
And now, long johns costume seem became the "it" costume among Chinese fg fans (at least among Han's fans):biggrin::p

BTW, Han intentionally chose the long Johns costumes, he has custom made costumes for his programs this season, but he does not like them and went for the various long Johns style:laugh::biggrin:

Last edited:

padme21

On the Ice

Again that's your opinion. I never said it was about the costumes . I just said that for me it's not what I focus on. A pretty costume is not going to make me like a skater more or less. I respect your opinion though. The Shibs drew me into their program at 4CC just Chan drew you in. It's a matter of preference.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'll try that. We're getting into Boston on Monday afternoon and will have all day Tuesday for practice sessions - and the tickets to get in. WOO HOO. Only 34 more sleeps!

(To say that Patrick's program is a rip-off of Takahashi is pretty ridiculous. Their style of skating is as opposite as apples and oranges.)

padme21

On the Ice
Believe it or not. You're proving my point. What I'm saying is that Patrick's "Lack Of Frills" places more focus on his superior skating skills. I agree that most costumes don't matter. I'm definitely more put off by "Over The Top" costuming than I am with Patrick's "less Is More" approach.

That's your opinion. I have mine. Chan is just not my cup of tea regardless of his costumes. I'm just not drawn in by his SS like some. I respect your opinion though.